Movies and TV shows thread

The amount of hype I am for this cannot be described.

That clicker looked amazing .

I’ll be too spoiled If we get both TLoU and Fallout series next year and they’re both great. I can’t say I’m as hopeful for Fallout as I am for TLoU but I gotta a strong feeling they really know what they’re doing with Fallout and Amazon are really spending good money on their production.

For Fallout, I hope Amazon spends the kind of money that they spent on The Expanse and Rings of Power as opposed to Wheel of Time. You can really tell when Amazon goes all out on a show.

I see you...

Just saw Avatar rerelease on glorious AMC IMAX 3D. And wow, this movie is meant to be seen on the big screen. I’ve always regretted not seeing this movie in 3D when it first released. Everyone always said it was the best 3D experience they ever saw, and I see why now. I know it sounds like bullshit, but the level of immersion you feel watching this is real, it’s very real.

Yes Russel Crowe, I was entertained and it was worth every penny to see this.

If you plan on watching this, do it the right way, IMAX 3D AMC.

Spoilers for something special. James Cameron gave us Christmas early.

At the end of the movie we are treated to a lengthy 3-4 minute clip of Avatar the way of water. Won’t tell you exactly what the scene was. But it was just, amazing.

Yikes !

4 Likes

Just finished the fourth episode of Andor. Show really is excellent and feels like a classic Legends novel on film. There was actually a KotOR reference in the latest episode :grin:.

Watched Predator 2. It’s a fun movie with some interesting ideas, although it hasn’t aged well in a lot of ways. I think this movie deserves a “remake” with a new plot, but keep all of the cool stuff: 80s LA in a heat wave, crazy gang wars, cop protagonist, ultra violent, etc. Basically, I want the franchise to take another crack at the “concrete jungle” concept. There’s untapped potential there.

House of the Dragon is a fine show, though it shows this has a different type of source material compared to Game of Thrones. A Song of Ice and Fire was written from a characters perspective. The House of the Dragon source material is a history book written by a maester. And it shows in the show, with the dialogue not being on par with the first couple of seasons of Game of Thrones.

1 Like

It’s not the dialogue I have a problem with, I think it’s predominantly fantastic along the impressive acting. As you mentioned the nature of the source material is at play, and what the show is lacking compared to GoT and asoiaf is consistent characterization and narrative structure, wherein, in my opinion, even world-building has been undermined a lot of the time as a result, and episodes feel somewhat disjointed from each other, like there’s leftovers from an attempt at episodic anthology.

1 Like

Honestly I feel Fallout doesn’t need as much money as expansive fantasy or sci-fi. Like even at the same budget of Wheel of Time, it will probably still have better production, but I think it’s safe to assume it would get a high budget because it’s a big IP, much bigger than Wheel of Time. And Amazon are actually really focused on making their shows look very good and cinematic.

1 Like

Yeah true, I didn’t think of that. Fallout really shouldn’t require a ton of cgi like those other shows.

Started watching the Jeffrey Dahmer TV show on Netflix. Evan Peter is great in this, I know him from American Horror Story, and I barely recognise him, damn good job.

How to guarantee your young one has nightmares.

:joy:

Rings of Power was really good last episode. Stuff finally started happening and the production is damn crazy, they are competing at blockbuster movie levels easily and that’s with 8 hours of show which is really impressive.

Still, I really think that episode should’ve been at least the 4th episode if not the 3rd. Now I don’t see much happening with 2 episodes to go. Like I said previously I fear and feel this whole first season is gonna be their prologue/hook/setup, which is too much, but what do I know apparently the show is doing great numbers already.

It’s becoming a joke how poorly lit the nighttime scenes in HotD are. No excusing this for “artistic vision” or any other bullshit, it’s downright BAD and disrespectful in the guise of authenticity or whatever excuse these directors/cinematographers tell themselves. I’m getting tired of it.

1 Like

Succession is top tier. No wonder its the most emmy awards winning show for the past 3 years .

1 Like

I’m convinced most people watch this the during the day with the blinds open and the window facing their screen, because I had no problem seeing what was going on this episode

As as soon as I saw some comments on it, I knew that would become the thing most assholes need to tweet about and make whiney youtube videos about. Which is a shame, it was an excellent episode

2 Likes

Pointing out how badly lit the a lot of scenes were doesn’t take away from the merit of the episode itself and it wasn’t even implied that way, and if anything the complaints being loudly leveled at this aspect means the show is otherwise doing mostly great. This isn’t something that’s exclusive to the last episode of HotD, it’s something happening way more often on film and TV recently and GoT/HotD are notable offenders. Being able to see doesn’t make it excusable, I can make out what’s on the screen but it if it looks blurred and ugly and washed out and if it needs effort from me to even see, and not for a fault in my viewing or display (yes, I watch with almost zero lights and at night anyway) then I’m gonna point that out and complain about it.

3 Likes