Movies and TV shows thread

I really want to like LOTR but something about it isn’t grabbing me.

I mean… I am, but I’m a LOTR fanatic from my upbringing. I also know, generally, why it’s going to be a slow burn for a bit - we’re likely getting the Downfall this season, among a few other major events in the lead up to what led to Sauron’s rise, so I’m cool with it.

2 Likes

Exactly how Amazon’s Wheel of Time was for me.

1 Like

Yep, very quality production value but the characters just don’t have me engaged. Hope it picks up.

This is with a caveat that infant mortality skews the lid expectancy a bit. A 30 year old from 1500s will be similar in appearance to a modern 30 year old.

1 Like

I don’t think Wheel of Time was anywhere close from a production standpoint.

I’m liking RoP, I love the LotR trilogy to death and I went in not expecting it to be like that, because that trilogy is a once in a lifetime thing, the stars really aligned for it to be that well made, not even the same people who made it could replicate it now. I also went in not expecting to be like GoT too because… it’s different. I’ve always viewed ASoIaF as better written than LotR too, that’s said, my knowledge of LotR is very surface level beyond the movies.

RoP has more of its flaws appearing on the surface so far, like, for me at least, the editing and pacing are weird, the music is just… fine, and the Harfoots are boring. Some cinematic mechanics like blood on the screen and slow-motion horse riding were also very questionable and out of place.

Unlike most people, I don’t have a problem with Galadriel, from my surface level knowledge, I know the elves are smug and entitled, and Galadriel is a special elf that lives from a thousand years across the three ages, with personal vendettas against evil in this age specifically, it only makes sense that she would have have different origins. And it’s not like I’m cheering for her either, I’m not sure if that’s what they want from us now, but I’m not, others may, I’m not sure. Elrond is the one I’m just not vibing with for whatever reason.

And I believe the biggest note on the show currently is that it’s slow, and I think the reason for that is that it doesn’t have the biggest hook yet, it’s taking its time to build up the pieces for that to materialize I which I imagine we know what would be but we’re just waiting for. I entertained the idea of maybe waiting for the season to binge it but episode 3 convinced to me stay with it weekly, I’m liking the conversation and speculation.

1 Like

Yeah I just watched it, and there was a lot of wasted potential with Gorr the God Butcher. If they gave him more screen time, he could have been a S tier Marvel villian.

For post-Endgame Marvel, Multiverse of Madness is still by far my favorite of the bunch.

1 Like

I agree Love & Thunder needed more Gorr. Should’ve had more scenes of him actually slaying gods, rather than just Thor looking at screenshots. Apparently, they were going to do this, but the higher-ups at Marvel felt it’d have been too dark…

Overall, I’d give it a 6/10.

1 Like

Also just watched it last night, the film was a ton of fun and I really loved the story they were trying to tell - it just felt really unbalanced. It was far more a comedy about Thor than anything else and a lot of the more serious stuff didn’t hit right because it was so quick to try and get back to the jokes. I’m happy overall, just felt like it shoulda been better.

1 Like

Has anyone here watched the deleted scenes of Thor? I’m told they should have used those and removed some other scenes to present a better story.

Haven’t seen them. But apparently there is a directors cut of the movie and I sure would like to see it. But Taika already said he will never release it.

Rings of Power has been good, not earth shattering for me. Well, the effects have been, for sure! The story and characters has been hit, or miss so far. Most storylines are getting more interesting, except that one about the harfoots. That group just annoys the shit out of me

She-Hulk has been fun, so far. It’s basically just a half hour comedy. Can’t wait for Dare Devil to show up

House of the Dragon has been great so far. Ficken brutal and kind of depressing in parts, but with enough great action and well written storylines to get away with that

And finaly, saw Thor: Love and Thunder yesterday. Not as great as Ragnorock, but hey, THAT"S a high standard. I did enjoy it quite a bit still. Thought some of it rode the sillyness factor a bit too hard. Love the Gor the God Butcher. Great antagonist. Jane was great too. Always thought the friggin incels and far right grifters constantly bitching about it being too woke and replacing Thor and being stronger now were full of shit. Now I know they were

Best movies I have seen in 2022 are still Top Gun: Maverick and Prey

3 Likes

Pink Moon

Comedy/drama

Dutch arthouse film about a man in his 70s that wants to call it quits, basically before he turns 75. He’s good now, and doesn’t want to grown old with his health and body declining more and more. Especially his daughter is really not OK with this and tries all kinds of well meant and heartfelt things to change his mind.

Heavy stuff, but beautiful.

Prey is about as perfect a movie as it could be. Favorite movie of the year, so far (I still haven’t seen Maverick yet, though).

1 Like

Gonna see Park Chan-wook’s new movie Decision to Leave Thursday. He made Oldboy, I already know I need to see this.

And according to IMDB september 13th the new show by creator of Dark will premier. But apparently Netflix has to wait until November. Which is confusing because where does it premier in September? Can’t find it.

This sounds really interesting.

Didn’t like HotD episode 4. Too edgy and gross and exhausting honestly. Oh and too dark, literally, back at it with the stupid nighttime lighting.

Finished The Terminal List. Was quite entertaining. At first I thought it was gonna be a military war piece but it turned out to be a conspiracy action thriller with a kind of vigilante main character, and I like that. Nothing special, just well made and entertaining.

2 Likes

Thor Love and Thunder was a rough watch.

Maybe I’m getting older but I remember being in love with the MCU franchise, now I can care less about the future of it. I feel like I’m watching these movies out of obligation rather than actual engagement.

Hoping Black Panther 2 avoids the fate of these Phase 4 movies so far.

4 Likes

The latest episode of Reservation Dogs just might be one of the funniest episodes of television in its history. Absolutely love this show.