Movies and TV shows thread

To add to my earlier reply. I think part of the basic problem is that some fans were expecting a “happily ever after” ending (at least for some characters). But that was never what the story was about. I think some were genuinely upset at how few characters got anything resembling a happy ending.

I don’t have a huge sample size, but that was definitely the gist of the reaction from water cooler chatter at work and from my family members.

2 Likes

Is it “abandoning” the books if GRRM himself abandoned them first ? lol.

It didn’t just get worse, it got less. In later seasons there was so much empty scenes of characters walking and staring at things or at each other with no point at all. And sometimes whey they talked, they said “you want the good girl but you need the bad pussy” and great stuff like that :confused_wat:

1 Like

I didn’t want necessarily a happy ending for GOT, but I thought some events and characters arcs were a bit butchered in Season 8, or at least rushes too quickly because of the showrunnrrs wanting to be done with it.

1 Like

They had two great books worth of material that they skipped over. I could excuse seasons 7 & 8 for not having material but 5 & 6 did have material and they ignored most of it and condensed it into one miserable season.

1 Like

Debatable on them being 2 great books, they had a bunch of plot lines that didn’t needed to be on the show and GRRM basically wrote himself into a corner due to those over abundance of plot threads which is why we’re probably never getting the ending of the series.

1 Like

And they chose the worst one to adapt (Drone) and ruined Jaime’s character with it, and retroactively ruined Oberyn. I didn’t necessarily want them to adapt all the plot threads, but actually adapt what they adapted well. They ruined Sansa’s arc there. Jaime and Brienne were not going through what their characters needed to navigate their arc.

Feast is a great book. It’s the most important book for the series’ anti-war message. And they didn’t pay it much thematic mind.

And all the plot lines and milestone events were provided by GRRM. At least that’s what I remember from the hoopla at the time.

As profjjj mentioned earlier, a lot of the angst seemed to be about the lack of Fairy Tale Endings. I thought that was the best part of nearly every situation, the dark and bleak resolution to most situations.

2 Likes

Just saw Prey, really nice.

But is this like a prequel, like before the movies with Arnie? Or is this more like a thing of its own? Spin off with its own predator?

Give it to me NOW

2 Likes

Episode 3 of Rings of Power is my favorite so far. It’s better put together and paced than the previous two. Although I think the Harfoots are given more screentime than I would like.

Things are starting to take shape, slowly but surely. I liked Galadriel saying that her stumbling upon Halbrand is no chance. From what I understand, the gods/angels in this universe can cast some of their control to help indirectly, but not fully intervene because they’re not allowed to, and there’s one who controls the seas called Ulmo who probably is responsible there with Galadriel’s sea journey.

Edit:

And I just remembered how stupid that slow-mo horse shot was :sob: what was the reason for that. She looked goofy af.

By the way, what is wrong with folks in GoT/HotD overall?

Episode 2 I believe.

Marriage to 14 year olds and shit, I mean…wow. When the name of a girl was mentioned my first thought was that it would be a much older one than the one they were actually talking about. They are on some R Kelly shit in this, man. Lmao.

Disclaimer: Not saying this is suitable in today’s society, simply providing possible reasoning for why this fictional world society viewed it the way they do.

The story is likely based on Life expectancy being far shorter. Not many lived beyond 30. They simply did not have the medical facilities to cure common trivialities. They even show using maggots and leeches for treatment.

Today’s times are vastly different than they were a decade ago let alone decades or centuries ago. If one only lives to the mid 30s you’re set for a mid-life crisis at age 15. Even in our modern world the life expectancy in the 1950s was around 50 years and so expected to have mid-life crisis at age 25.

3 Likes

That actually makes a whole lot of sense. Had not looked at it that way yet.

FYI Thor Love and Thunder finally came to Disney plus. Looking forward to watching it this weekend.

2 Likes

Definitely a fun one. Wish Bale had more screen time though because he shines as a mofo as villain.

2 Likes

Watched Open Water 2.

There’s something about deep sea, the ocean that really terrifies me. And I can’t imagine being stranded on or in the sea, jesus.

It has some incredibly dumb decisions by some characters in this movie, but others are understandable. It isn’t amazing, but i do think it’s worth it.

1 Like

So is anybody really enjoying The Rings of Power? So far it’s an incredibly slow burn, with a plot that isn’t very exciting.

I’ve only seen the first two episodes but no, not really. I like the visuals, the atmosphere is well done I guess and that’s basically it for me. I don’t not like Galadriel at all and I don’t think her acting is great either. If you asked me which characters I really like or find memorable…I couldn’t tell you.

Whereas with the very first episode of GoT or many other shows I don’t have a problem telling you at all.

1 Like

Her character is by far the worst. I don’t think it’s the actresses fault, she’s only doing what the show runners and writers tell her. But man, every time she speaks she comes off as this entitled, abrasive little shit. Especially in episode 3 where she demanded a ship from the Queen of Numenor, after they saved her from a certain death adrift at sea. Like wtf lol, is it that hard to say thank you for not letting me die.

1 Like