Movies and TV shows thread

for all mankind if pretty fun.

Little Demon, on FX Networks and Hulu, is quite the messed up animated series. It seems a little much, even for me.

Incredible episode of HotD, the epitome merging of sociological drama and epic fantasy.

We’re having it too good with both this and LotR RoP airing at the same time. Hopefully Witcher S3 is sooner released to us as well.

1 Like

LMAO

3 Likes

Reviews and rating are essentially irrelevant if you enjoy the thing. They are now even more irrelevant because people are emotional and fragile and will review bomb things on basis irrelevant to the quality of something.

Yeah, that thread has some other great comments as well. Neil is the best. And the people thinking he was involved in LOTR is hilarious.

1 Like

What do you all think of Wheel of time? I decided to watch it and hoping it would get better, especially after the media went all “it’s the next GoT”.

I don’t know what kind of shit these people took, but Holy cow. This got nothing on GoT, shouldn’t even be mentioned in the sale sentence really. Some acting is good, most of it is more like a soap opera. The story is just…yeah, I mean it’s fantasy and I still find it farfetched, lol.

I am not familiar with the book, but apparently it isn’t exactly faithful to it, which in my opinion often is not a good thing.

Pretty mediocre unfortunately.

1 Like

This gave me a chuckle

1 Like

I am a huge fan of the books - one of my favorite series ever - so I definitely have a biased view here. I enjoyed the first season, though it was far from perfect, and I am optimistic that future seasons will be better.

The first book in the series was always going to be the hardest to adapt for a variety of reasons. The biggest are probably the very traditional (trope filled) nature of the first book and the nearly incomprehensible ending of the book. These are not weaknesses the other books in the series have.

The pacing of the first season was not great. I think they clearly needed another episode or two (or at least longer runtime on a couple of episodes). Apparently the showrunner really lobbied for this but got rebuffed by Amazon due to budget limitations.

The show was also severely impacted by one of the core cast members (the guy who played Mat) quitting before season 1 was finished and by filming restrictions when they reconvened after their covid shut down. Those two factors required massive rewrites and plot revisions of the last two episodes which definitely impacted their ability to nail the ending of season 1.

Anyway, the reasons for optimism are:

• The source material is stronger going forward.
  • Apparently Amazon has upped the budget significantly.
  • Post-covid “normalcy” should solve some problems.
2 Likes

Wait, Mat is gone completely?

Because that ending shows he turned to the darkness. Or at least he seems he’ll be around.

They recast the part, so will have a completely different actor from season 2 onward. I’m pretty sure every scene of Mat in the last couple of episodes was assembled from random footage. (There may be a couple he filmed before the covid break that survived. He never came back to the show after they took their covid hiatus.)

Mat is a huge part of the series, so they couldn’t just eliminate the character.

2 Likes

They could if they want the dark one to win Tarmon Gai’don. :smirk:

1 Like

So I console myself by saying it’s a show of a different turning of the wheel than the books, and the stuff that just doesn’t sit right with me are changes for that turn. But it is a bit disappointing in a way, because the actors are about perfect and the sets are great, and then they just went a bit overboard on changes that cut too much for my tastes. They almost should have made the first book two seasons. But I do understand the problem with that as well.

I was irritated by the comparisons saying it would be the next GoT because it was never anything like that, it’s a totally different type of world.

1 Like

Watching House of the Dragon is fine even if I haven’t seen the last season of GoT yet, right?

I really need to get to watching that. There was tons of negativity, but one acquaintance of mine said he really liked the season and did not get the hate.

Should be fine since HotD is set hundreds of years before GoT.

It’s hard to go into why the last season of GoT was such a disappointment without getting into major spoilers. But it’s safe to say that it did not turn out the way most people hoped it would. Several major character arcs were not resolved satisfactorily (to say the least). The production quality was certainly good, and it provided all the spectacle people were hoping for, but that did not trump the basic writing failures for lots of fans.

1 Like

I think GoT last seasons absolutely nailed the character arcs.

What was missed was the exceptional dialogs since they weren’t taken verbatim from books because GRRM never wrote/finished them. This speed up the pacing and removed non-plot-essential filler events. Some of those filler moments let the characters shine in earlier seasons.

2 Likes

I should have been more clear. The character arcs did not resolve the way lots of fans wanted them to. Two fan favorite characters in particular ended up in spots that many were very disappointed about. Whether or not the resolutions made sense from a story perspective is a different issue. I thought one did and one not so much. But that is a matter of opinion. What I don’t think is really debatable is that fan expectations were not met.

But very much agree about the dialogue. After they got past the books the writing does not compare well to the earlier seasons.

1 Like

Huh? I could write essays on how wrong this is. This is the thing they butchered the most. The characters up to season 4 were built on a trajectory foundationally set in the books, and after that they abandoned the books and finally were out of books, and the characters just served to advance plot lines and tell cock jokes every two lines.

Recently watched a couple of imited series shows on Netflix. Echoes and Devil in Ohio. Both pretty decent.

Keen for the next Grand Tour instalment and Cobra Kai.

1 Like