Movies and TV shows thread

I saw Brendan Fraser at a con earlier this summer. He seemed so excited to be in Batgirl. This cancelation is very sad for everyone who worked on the movie - particularly those who thought this was going to be a big boost to their careers.

I understand the business reasons for canning a completed film that is set for theatrical release. Marketing and distribution costs can often be as large or larger than the actual production costs. But it’s harder for me to understand the business case for canceling a completed movie that was planned as direct to streaming all along.

I’m sure we’ll get more info on the reasons in the coming weeks. Hopefully there is some logic to this that we just can’t see yet.

2 Likes

Man I’m just worried about HBO

1 Like

Bullet Train

Brad Pitt with plenty of humor, which in my opinion is always a good thing, dude’s just awesome. The whole cast was great and funny. Plenty of action, pretty much the whole movie takes place on that train and it never bored me for a second. Actually I could have done with another hour. Been a long ass time that I had such a good time at the theater.

Loved it!

2 Likes

So after a long day of staring at my computer screen studying. I went through my long Hulu backlog and found this show

And omg, this is incredible. I’m two episodes in and can’t stop. FX really is the gold standard for tv. Has anybody else seen this?

2 Likes

It appears that “Prey” (Predator Prequel) is really good. Currently at 95% on RT with 73 reviews.

Loved it, though it was anxiety at time lol

2 Likes

This really is amazing dude, it’s like watching a PG13 Sopranos but set in a restaurant. Also freakin Jon Bernthal just shows up out of nowhere lol

2 Likes

I watched The Bear in one sitting. Such a fantastic show for so many different reasons… Camry has a monologue about his brother in the last episode that broke me. Some of my friends that have worked BOH at “high-class” restaurants have said it captures that element of trauma really well too. Amazing show that I cannot recommend enough.

2 Likes

Better Call Saul

Episode 9

Bit disappointed that this is how Kim and Jimmy break up. I guess Kim is not wrong, but I loved them together. All this time I had expected something truly bad to happen to Kim and Saul becoming how he is in BB, but that didn’t happen. The transition from the break up scene to how he’s laying there with a hooker was a bit fast.

1 Like

Just watched ‘The Prey’ on D+. Easily my 2nd favorite Predator movie, might I say favorite period ?

It’s a shame Disney didn’t believe in the film.

3 Likes

Oh its on Disney+? Might give it try considering the good reviews (or at least for a predator movie) it has gotten.

Prey (2022) is a legit solid good film. It’s better than it has any right to be too. It’s not a brain dead popcorn flick. The Predator could have been anything else serving as the main confrontation for the protagonist and it would have worked.

It’s on HULU in the US and on Disney+ in every other market.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s my favorite, that will always be the first, but it’s definitely the best in the last 30 years by miles and on par with Predator 2 (which is criminally underrated and mostly gets unjust hate just because it didn’t have Arnold in it).

Overall highly recommended.

I was a little “huh” when you said Disney didn’t believe in it, but it is on there service, haha. But then I read it’s not in the US.

Surprised about the praise, I will definitely watch it.

From everything I have read it was intended to be a theatrical release but it is something that Disney essentially picked up in the fox purchase. They had low confidence because of how poorly received…well…every Predator movie since Predator 2 has been. So the title got shoveled off to a streaming only release.

Now the film is sitting at 93% on RT and looks like it probably should have been released in theaters.

1 Like

I watched the first three episodes of The Sandman on Netflix last night. I was vaguely aware of the mythology / characters of the comic, but had never actually read it.

Show is good so far. The protagonist and his world are interesting. The antagonists seem suitably villainous. It looks absolutely great.

Casting seems good so far. It’s always good to see David Thewlis, and it was a real treat to see Jenna Coleman show up in an episode.

5 Likes

I was surprised to see the show is getting great impressions. Hope it continuous and improves, don’t want another American Gods :frowning:

1 Like

I watched the DC Showcase of Sandman and that was brief, but very strong.

What was bad about American Gods? I hadn’t read any of those books but did catch some of the series.

It started good but went downhill pretty quick, got canned.

1 Like