Movies and TV shows thread

Concerns about the quality & writing are always warranted especially for Amazon who I don’t think have yet proven they can be on a consistent top level of TV, but that’s yet to be seen as we haven’t seen the show to judge. But the remarks about the diversity in casting are gross, people are taking it to such extremes with their purist and exclusion mentality, acting like they’re sacred texts not some made up fantasies.

1 Like

I’m really feeling the hype for House of the Dragon. Everything looks top tier :fire:

Casting, production and design, music, GRRM involved, source material finished.

1 Like

Yeah, they dared to use black guy. If there is a gay couple in it, that fucking cretin will be making 15 videos about it

Same, HBO’s production is just elite when it comes to their high budget shows.

2 Likes

Oh look another attempt to use argumentum ad populum to appear “correct”.

1. Tell me where the Russos made some sort of zero-sum that cinema has to be sacrificed in order to benefit streaming? They didn’t and most of their post-Marvel movies, including Gray Man, have launched in theaters as well. The point about elitism, in tandem with my next point, was clearly in response to people like Nolan who think that the only real movie experience is that which takes place in a theater, with all its inherent expense.
  2. That is extremely elitist; tickets for my wife and I are $30 altogether every movie. I pay $45 a month for all my streaming services, and assuming I only watch two things in that month, I’ve already come out ahead. Heaven forbid people have kids and it’s blatantly obvious for kindergartner-level mathematicians to see how streaming is more affordable.
  3. Those two points are mutually exclusive, but it’s clear that you’ve got some hate-fetish with the Russo brothers for some reason, so you’ll move goalposts and create strawmen for whatever reason…weird.

lol

Period. I’d really like to see Amazon compete on that level of production and spectacle.

1 Like

Plot twist : Rings of power is being made by WB too . :phil_lmao:

1 Like

Like is that supposed to be better or worse? I haven’t been watching WB stuff in a long ass time.

1 Like

They still have the LOTR and Hobbit stuff stored so a lot of the show should be practical I guess . But its supposed to be the show with highest budget ever so great quality is expected anyway .

1 Like

Yeah and things do look great from the trailers, but gotta see the whole thing to see how everything works together.

1 Like

Looking great :eyes:

2 Likes

At first it seemed the movie was never gonna come to the theatres here and then just like that…it is here.

The Black Phone.

Hard to say what I really thought of it. It’s whole idea is certainly original and that I give it credit for, for sure. But it’s missing something for me. I’ll talk about that in spoilers.

It’s a good build up of things to come. The scene where the father is hitting his daughter with the belt, man I felt for that little girl. She can act, she made it seem very really. Was painful to watch. I’m conflicted about the father because he does show he cares about his children, but Jesus man, easy on the booze and especially ease the fuck down with those loose hands.

Eventually we come to the part where Finney is taken. And soon we find out what the Black Phone really is, Finney is basically talking to the dead kids and they give him advice how to escape, because of the things they had done in that room when they were alive. It’s absolutely very original and actually quite interesting too.

We never ever find out how these kids are talking to him, it’s clearly something paranormal I would say, just as Finney’s sister with her dreams. But because Finney so early on gets all that advice given to him it takes away from any tension. It could have been any other kidnapping movie and done, but this is different but I can’t deny I’m a bit “yeah right.” with how these kids are talking to him. But again, still a cool idea and original.

And the kidnapper/killer, that scene where he opens the door and almost let’s Finney escape because his ass fell asleep. He’s done this before with his previous victims, it’s like a game for him? I guess he did tell the truth when he said he wouldn’t have Finney do anything he didn’t want to.

Had his previous victims not tried to escape, who knows, maybe they would have lived. But he let that door open, he was baiting them, sick fuck. I felt that Hawke’s scenes were a bit too brief and not enough, but the bits that he has he plays it well.

Imagine if this happened in real life, that a abducted child talks to the victims and that way has a chance of survival. Sadly that is just not reality.

Well acted by the child actors too. But overall the movie didn’t grab me completely, missed tension.

Oh also…this was a bit odd.

At no point does Finney go like "wtf, I am talking to the dead. How!!! This is way before he sees the dead too. My first reaction would be…htf am I talking to dead people?

Watching The Terminal List on Prime, it’s basically Call of Duty.

Interesting episode of Better Call Saul. I imagined an episode like that would be the finale

1 Like

I was on TikTok just scrolling through videos, it can be addictive, not gonna lie.

There was one video about a game show from the 80s called Just like Mom. How this didn’t become more than only a controversy is beyond me. The game show host kisses little girls on the mouth and if they don’t, he does it anyway. He also asks them incredibly inappropriate questions. I had never heard of it, Canadian show. Just wtf man.

If you are looking for a rather good drama/mystery movie to watch in the theater then I can recommend Where the Crawdads Sing.

Well acted, beautiful locations, interesting story. If there’s maybe one complaint I guess it’s that it can sometimes feel more like a romantic movie then a murder mystery because the romance bits are not short, while the court scenes are a bit brief. Still, didn’t hurt it too much.

And god, Daisy Edgar Jones is just lovely.

They have no problem employing and endorsing bigots, abusers and problematic individuals though

Didn’t know a Batgirl movie was coming but why won’t they release it? They expecting it to flop?

Apparently it’s bad, as if their movies haven’t been before.