Microsoft/Xbox Q3 earnings FY 2022. Gaming Revenue increased by 6%

I doubt we will ever get sales numbers for Xbox games due to the switch to releasing them on Game Pass.

For one the metric had now changed to how many people are playing those games, but also it probably affects the sales of the games in a way that might make it appear less impressive when compared to competitors. Plus in regards to the number of users, Microsoft does regularly reveal these numbers when milestones are hit.

1 Like

Some interesting stats from the call. Two I found of particular importance was when Satya said over ten million people have tried cloud gaming on Xbox which would mean over ten million ultimate users(the only place itā€™s available) which is very impressive especially with cloud not being available everywhere. The other thing was when Amy Hood said they expect a drop in revenue in the next fiscal quarter, could that mean they expect a drop in software/hardware hitting the market? Either due to lower sales from MTX in games like fortnite/warzone or less big games expected in the quarter.

There arenā€™t many games coming out in this quarter. Itā€™s why I said you canā€™t fault game pass for not releasing day one ā€œbangerā€ for this quarter. The best you can ask is ones that arenā€™t so old, which in all fairness they have been doing so.

As for consoles, keep in mind that China is in lockdown and the chip shortage may rise up because of it. They donā€™t want to sound certain with it, so itā€™s best to expect the worst.

Great results all around, and specially incredible to see xbox growing when the market itself is trending down with limited supplies and fewer releases due the pandemic. Really shows the strength of their strategy by centering around gamepass instead of hardware sales or game releases.

Not to mention the obvious effect that this has made on xbox mindshare, gamepass has truly become the killer app for xbox.

But, what Iā€™m really floored is by the 10mi Xcloud users already. Iā€™ve been saying for a while that Ms moving SX socs from the market to put it on xcloud while sales still being somewhat close to Ps5 would lead to more people already having access to next gen xbox hardware compared to Ps5 but I could never imagine it would be at that rate.

4 Likes

They said they expect lower availability in the next quarter due the china lockdowns affecting production even further

3 Likes

That has to do with the comparisons being Year-over-year, where player engagement being so high last year during the pandemic and this year where most places have returned to normal. The expectation is for this next quarter April-May-June to be more on the level of pre-pandemic levels.

At least thats how I took all of this.

4 Likes

Someone already predicted a worst case scenario: https://twitter.com/DeekeTweak/status/1519077782877319168?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1519077782877319168|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url= Doesnā€™t seem that bad honestly.

3 Likes

The end of this generation is going to be much closer to the end of the 7th generation than to the 8th, remember we havenā€™t seen Black Friday cheap Series S deals, an eventual streaming box from Xbox and most importantly the impact of a the exclusives they will get from Bethesda, XBGS and potentially Blizzardā€™s new IP and likely big COD marketing and cheap Series S and COD holiday bundlesā€¦ This is very important for the brand to hopefully avoid getting shafted at launch by some 3rd parties and hopefully it raises the prices of moneyhats by a lot so they become harder to get.

If games like Roblox already skip PlayStation to avoid the PlayStation tax, just imagine the mass exodus once Xbox becomes market leader. I know CDPR has the biggest ax to grind with Sony over their handling of Cyberpunk. If Xbox can cover lost sales then companies might be able to get some revenge on the former market leader.

If you think companies are above such grudges see also Fortnite vs Apple.

Does Roblox skip Playstation due to that though? I personally have no idea.

I didnā€™t know that was the reason lol, strange how Microsoft never capitalized on Roblox being a console exclusive, itā€™s always in the top 10 most played game on the platform :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Probably because Roblox has some questionable practices. Because by itself it is not ā€œjust a gameā€ .

Yeah Roblox has a store within a store. I think it has to do with PlayStation wanting a cut of cross platform sales.

1 Like

I mean Sony created Dreams to compete with Minecraft and Roblox and that has been a pretty big failure. My 6 year old thinks dreams is lame.

You could say Sony was dreaming thinking they could recreate Minecraft or Roblox huehuehue just kidding.

2 Likes

I remember there a fervor of ā€œmake game enginesā€. Like Project Spark competed with Dreams I guess?

1 Like

The fact that Xbox was able to do this well this well this quarter without a new major exclusive out makes me think Gamepass is selling systems by itself and obviously Series X stock helped too but but Iā€™m sure Gamepass is very attractive to consumers right now, I know some extremely casual gamers and I mean extremely in that they only buy COD every year lol subscribed to the service, of course Iā€™m sure Elden Ring also had an impact, itā€™s another game I saw a lot people buy a Series S for.

1 Like

I believe big exclusives would affect only Series S series - after all Xbox Series X is scarcely available and often sold off.

1 Like

Very true. Also Sony had been trying for years to make Little Big Planet work. That said I still think Dreams is the meme version of a parent saying ā€œwe have Roblox at homeā€ cut to next image of disappointed kid looking at Dreams on PlayStation.

Oh right! Little Big Planet too. Forgot about it.

Well, Sony failed to power the ā€œDreamsā€ :joy:

1 Like