Microsoft patented their own trigger force feedback technology, should they have included it in the Series controllers?

No one has done VR well yet.

Sorry Rez Area X and RE 7 are amazing in VR so is Ace Combat 7 and Star Wars Squadron

When I filled this out, I said that I would like the haptic feedback but not the resistance triggers. I wouldn’t mind it if they rolled that into the next Elite.

For all the hype that surrounded “HD” rumble on the switch, that turned into a whole heap of nothing.

I haven’t used it, but I’m guessing this is a similar situation. It’s a big talking point atm because they can’t really tout any kind of power advantage over the Series X.

Nobody uses it besides Nintendo games.

I disabled the haptics on my DS5 about half way through Miles Morales and COD Cold War. They got annoying, got louder with time and it ended up feeling like rumble that was a bit excessive.

1 Like

The issue may not be just including force feedback and general supply chain economics, but excluding a lot of hardware – some of which we as abled gamers take for granted.

All Xbox One controllers are supported on the current consoles. This is important for one main reason. The ‘Xbox Adaptive Controller’ meant for differently abled gamers can bring forward their equipment for the current consoles too. Please note that the amount that differently abled gamers pay for setting up the Adaptive Controller and the associated hardware - is exorbitant as it includes a heavy number of accessories.

The second is that the MTBF will be generally low for the adaptive/ff triggers part of the controllers. That is a straight-forward wear on the force-feedback part of the triggers. I think Xbox did mention that this figure was on the lower side.

The only part which needs to matter is the haptics using audio and other techniques. This needs to be designed in a manner that does not exclude all the existing hardware. So, I expect API changes, and haptic additions – both of which are additive in nature to be a part of the immediate next update and included along with the Elite controller for early adoption. This would be a good strategy to test the waters, and include a mainstream version immediately after.

2 Likes

No I don’t want this so if they do ever include it they need an option at the base setting level to permanently disable.

I want these patents to be realized, because the DualSense controller is amazing and it adds something to games.

After owning my console since launch and with updated thoughts, I have to say… a no from me. But not to everything.

Haptics are still the way forward, as it’s the next logical step. It doesn’t need a speaker to work, but it does need a sound for the effect, if that makes sense. I absolute want the next iteration of Xbox controller to have haptics, and still feel it’s weird the current one didn’t.

The speaker itself is just pointless and adds nothing for me.

The touchpad has and always will be pointless. Same as on ps4. It’s a big button 99.99% of the time, and when it’s not, it’s clunky and doesn’t feel good.

The triggers… this is where I will lose some people. They are just one of the worst features of a controller I’ve ever used. They work… sometimes. And by work I mean annoy the hell out of you. The resistance seems to change depending on how quick you are. Despite barely playing my console (I own like 4 games for it) they are already worn down to the point that they slip. They don’t even make sense most of the time and just get in the way. Shooters for example are dreadful. Press the trigger and be met with a suddenly resistance, but you can push through it anyway? Why? It’s awful. Just awful. Worst of all, it doesn’t always work correctly. In some games I can still fire, before the feedback even triggers, so… what’s the point?

The Xbox controller 100% needs to have an update, and soon. But keep those awful triggers away, because they are absolutely one of the worst gimmicks in many years, and I was around for all of them.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I have ever witnessed/used something more overhyped than DualSense. To me it added nothing to to experience and was more annoying than anything.

Cool, variable rumble intensity with poor quality tinny sound coming out of the controller. I am immersed.

1 Like

That is how I felt. And then when I was playing Miles swinging across the entire city, the spinning motor was progressively getting louder and louder. Apparently too much use in a sitting. I was about to fast travel so I didn’t have to wear it down…then I decided to just turn it off. Playing Miles after that was much better.

Or something like the bow and arrow example they are always using. The first time you experience it your are like “oh, thats neat”. Then you trying to fire off multiple arrows in succession, because, you know…you are playing a game, and you go “oh…I see why no one has ever done this before”

1 Like

tbh I liked in Astro cause It kinda fits with the game but idk about how “immersive” it is in other stuff.

All I know is I turned off all the annoying gimmick sounds and stuff on the PS4 games anytime I was gaming.

1 Like

I also laugh when I think about the Cerny presentation and his was like “you can feel the arrow whiz by your head!”

and I just sit there going “In my hands…?”

Hell no.

Adaptive triggers on the ps5 pad are awful.

They made my hands ache and were swiftly turned off after a Google search :stuck_out_tongue:

The gentle rumble that astros playroom has, would be welcomed on xbox pads though.

The adaptive triggers are a cool features, but not something i miss when it’s not there.

The dualsense as a whole seems pretty overhyped, dont get me wrong its a great controller just not superior to the seriesX’s.

Does anyone know if the seriesX’s rumble has hot better? The rumble in the triggers feels more pronounced then I remember?

Nintendo don’t even use it much anymore. Why would you when Switch supports other official controllers without the HD rumble AND one of your line of hardware(switch lite) doesn’t even have it.

I take it, it’ll probably need a higher output battery like the one found in PS5’s controller if they were to do this.

Either way, for me, I’m not much of a fan of it but I know some people would love to have the feature; personally I would want them to update their haptic feedback first and foremost, I do like rumble triggers but if they can add to that by including voice coil actuators instead of the traditional motors we currently also have, that’d be great.

My only real gripe with adding something like trigger force feedback would be that when it breaks, the odds of you being able to manually repair it are pretty much out the window. Even if you have it disabled, I’m guessing there is still that part of it could still break since it’s always going to be attached whether or not it’s engaged in actual force feedback. I’m kinda interested to see how it stacks up to Sony’s implementation though.

edit, sorry for the big bump, wasn’t paying attention when I was scrolling down.

…in $150 controller while DualSense is a standard one for $70 and of course bundled with every console? I don’t think there would be good reaction from the people.