Microsoft patented their own trigger force feedback technology, should they have included it in the Series controllers?

The alternative being…nothing? Huh?

I’d take it if it were there. But also impulse trigger adoption was really lo outside first party development and there really wasn’t much of a big deal made of it.

I still remember being shocked when I was playing the Destiny 2 beta on my PS4. The standard rumble was horrible. And no one was talking about good impulse trigger implementations. I don’t really blame MS for figuring they had a “good enough” solution.

Frankly I’m pretty sure a lot of the Tempest and Duel Sense discussion is coming from a less than honest place. If those were big gains it’s funny that it never came up with Dolby Atmos and Impulse triggers last gen.

1 Like

No idea why they aren’t in the elite. You’re charging almost 200 dollars for a controller it should have that.

No doubt elite 3 will have happiness feedback. Then they’ll put it in regular if it does well

I’ve found with the Dualsense the haptics to be a complete gimmick and something I’d absolutely turn off in any game that I’m taking seriously, so for me personally no I don’t think they should add it.

2 Likes

I sort of agree with you. But for certain games like an ASTRO it can enhance it.

The switch has had haptif feedback for years and Nintendo sort fo given up on it. Sony will give up on that soon enough. Especially if 3rd parties ignore it.

In these tough times, I am thankful for

1. Gamepass
  2. Peripherals that carry over to the Series X
1 Like

Microsoft has all the patents and technology. However I feel like in the last few years they are focusing on core stuff and keeping away from gimmickry like Kinect or something like Dualsense. There is plenty of improvement on core stuff in gaming that they are trying to achieve and let’s not get distracted with bs.

Haptics, when used properly like in Astro’s is really really cool. The novelty is there and I like it a lot.

Adaptive triggers are also really cool and immersive imo like when drawing a bow or again like in Astro’s.

I would love for these to become standards, while keeping it optional at the system level for accessibility and other use cases. The triggers are analog so you can get away with not having resistance and still doing Ratchet/Returnal type stopgap trigger alt fires for maximum compatibility. You could even carry over Xbox One/Wireless controllers with their analog triggers without worry.

The haptics/triggers are what can persuade people to buy a 3rd party game on PS5 even if the performance is worse visually. If Microsoft offered a similarly compelling controller, that advantage pulling people to buy 3rd party starts to diminish.

While these features are nice, I think the better reliability of the controller without them outweighs their benefit. We are talking about little plastic bits taking the brunt of your force. Your natural reaction is to push through the resistance/stop, and that is just asking for broken controllers. We can barely keep basic controller buttons and analog sticks working as it is.

1 Like

Yep.

I am loving $50 controllers, as opposed to $90 ones.

IMO no.

Because every motor and new feature consumes power which reduces the battery time and in the long run battery life. I am absolutely happy with the current rumble triggers.

1 Like

Just IMO, I have absolutely no interest in this type of thing. I even turn off controller rumble in every game where you can turn it off.

It wouldn’t bother me if those features were there for those folks who are into it though.

1 Like

I’d say absolutely no. Now we are past the launch window and the nonsense hype it’s clear this is a nice gimmick but I’d turn it off after a while.

using it for ratchet and it seemed way too gimmicky. Then don’t get me started on sports games how it doesn’t feel right. I think Astro was a good tech demo, but so far adaptive triggers have felt too gimmicky and not worthwhile for the most part. However its early in the gen, so hopefully its better, but at the moment it’s a gimmick imo