Microsoft in talks with Discord over $10 billion+ acquisition

I think that’s spelled with a ‘b’ :wink:

But so many analysts have pointed out why MS will be spending money: it’s not getting much value sitting in the bank with rates as they are.

6 Likes

They’ll probably do something with Teams and Discord, but I could see Discord on Xbox for sure. Imagine if Discord becomes a streaming platform like Twitch O.O you have chat built in, you can monetize the channel by having the nitro stuff. You can do the whole press here to play game with streaming via xCloud. Discord is already massive and has a popular following so they won’t get screwed with trying to get people to join a new service.

Could be a smart move.

1 Like

ITS HAPPENING

13 Likes

They should do it for sure, they could do so much with it.

All good points, didn’t even think of the streaming capabilities. Crazy that it actually might be happening; this is only going to reinforce the “MSFT acquires everything” memes lol

4 Likes

Wow.

Makes so much sense with Live going free for free to play games, people were already moving to discord party chat. Controlling the voice and chat gaming market makes it a no brainer.

On another note, discord tried to create a game store and failed maybe MS see an opportunity in this space with xcloud and Xbox games.

Also, it becomes another avenue to sell gamepass to an audience of mostly gamers. Discord streaming is also a thing… many possibilities.

This could be their get out of jail free card after Mixer, Discord is massive for gamers, gaming companies and even more. They were going to buy TikTok for their customer data and to push Azure, this could be just as big and important. They can add hooks in with Teams so that’s your work platform and Discord is your after work fun platform sort of thing.

xCloud streaming + Discord + gameplay streaming could be massive.

5 Likes

KNEW IT !!!

article says nothing is imminent and Discord may still go public.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction friend. I’ve edited the post.

1 Like

True

The tweet is a bit misleading and click-baity, though. Yes, Microsoft is in talks, but according to the story:

Discord is more likely to go public than sell itself, one person said.

2 Likes

hmm the fact that is already out there…

Would Xbox be able to utilize Discord for cloud gaming (idk much about Discord as a platform)?

Yes, you can stream games like Twitch / video calls on Discord so it’s not that much of a jump to be able to add xCloud in there.

1 Like

Very nice, thanks!

I don’t think this replaces or substitutes the Tiktok conversation.

200m users here versus 600m on a popular chat platform like Tiktok.

I’m saying it more as they missed out on TikTok and a large community, Discord wouldn’t be a bad 2nd attempt to snatch a platform like it. They really want a social media / community platform, they went after Pinterest too. Discord fits them better imo in almost every way.

Does not matter. They have made great games based on this material so they have great value in being purchased based on the talent there.