Microsoft Flight Simulator lands July 27 on Xbox Series X|S; free Top Gun: Maverick expansion coming November 19

You get ALL the airports with the AI generated imagery + a selection of handcrafted airports in the base version.

The difference is always the number of handcrafted/detailed model airports and planes that you get with the more premium versions. These will be useful as your mastery increases.

If you are playing for the first time, aim for the base version.

1 Like

What makes me scratch my head is that those seem to be overpriced for what they offer, thatā€™s why I was wondering if there was something more.

I mean, the Premium Version adds only 5 detailed airports, right? Thatā€™s the same amount of detailed airports added in the latest free World Update, if Iā€™m not mistaken. Not to count the previous World Updates!

Most of the detailed airports may not apply to us, but for actual simmers who want to know how to taxi, and which areas to go to, it makes a huge difference. This is used for VFR flying.

Add to thst actual AI Tower Control instructions or VATSIM (ppl posing as control operators), and the experience is real.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed answers!!

1 Like

A single premium airport on the Flight Sim marketplace can cost between 10-20 bucks. Same for planes. The content in the Deluxe and Premium version is absolutely inline with that.

Iā€™m just glad this is a play anywhere title (kinda). Purchased the Premium Deluxe Edition on PC and it lists on my Series X that I own that same edition :sunglasses:

Now if only I could get the same user made liveries on console :thinking:

1 Like

My mind is telling me not to get the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One Flight Stick, but my heart is telling me to get it.

1 Like
4 Likes

Life-long Playstation owner hereā€¦ man Microsoft has done well - went out today and bought myself an XBOX Series S for this game (Flight Simulator) and future Bethesda Titles. But I cannot wait until the 27th of Julyā€¦ used to play FSX many years ago and now am so pleased I donā€™t have to buy a gaming PC to play this game. Never thought Iā€™d own an XBOX but here I goā€¦!

I would buy an X, however, I have a PS5 and couldnā€™t justify the cost of buying a Series X (not to mention you canā€™t find an X to purchase!). The Series S was actually on sale on Amazon which was great. Iā€™m hoping the S would upscale FS2020 to my 4K TV. However, Iā€™m aware itā€™s not as powerful of the X but am still hopeful performance would be good, as I have heard some good things about the S.

Anyone know anything about the difference in performance for FS2020 between the Series S and X? So far, screenshots have only been of the X version.

5 Likes

For MSFS2020 only:
1080p30 on the S versus 4k30 on the X.

With an option to go higher in framerates for TVs that support VRR.

I think Asobo did mention that when flying over non urban areas the framerates would pick up.

You can check the dev diaries that Asobo does. They are fairly transparent in their roadmaps and what is coming in either performance updates or world updates.

Or like me you can simply look at ObsidianAntā€™s YT channel - who is an amazing Youtuber and covers the updates very well:

Asoboā€™s news and announcement page for MSFS2020:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the information and for sharing this video. Seems that the quality settings will be the same between XBOX Series S and X, except for the resolution which will be HD (1080P) on S rather than 4K on the X.

Iā€™m happy with that, and possibly with further updates of the AMD GPU drivers on the XBOX - this might improve in the future (such as 4K AI upscaling technologies).

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile: Happy to be here.

1 Like

This is probably the ideal time to release.The year-long world updates that has been updated in the game is considerable.

BTW, this is a true cloud game that is played on a console or pc. If you do very long trips you are basically streaming the world map contents. For shorter trips you can cache the map that you fly over frequently.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Near locked 30fps on both S and X, reduced draw distance on S but still looks great:

5 Likes

4 Likes

So hyped for this. Need a game like this right now.

1 Like

Next-Gen is almost here:

2 Likes

Reviews are coming inā€¦

10/10

4/5

2 Likes