Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT3| - Sony bends the knee!

2 Likes

I have a sneaky suspicion that people like Shinobi wouldn’t be very happy if MS started making 3rd party deals like Sony Does. Imagine the next Resident Evil or Witcher being a MS exclusive. Heads would explode and everyone would endlessly complain about it. These people are being willfully ignorant of the situation. :smile:

11 Likes

Sometimes it’s less to do with Sony fanboyism and everything to do with a complete lack of common sense

“Well Sony does it this way so why doesn’t MS”

Completely ignoring Sony’s market position and MS Game Pass strategy, just because MS have money doesn’t mean it makes financial sense and it’s far more expensive for them

4 Likes

https://streamable.com/10rt0o

5 Likes

Moving on means no more acquisitions. Ever.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Reading the final report on CMA’s response to MS remedies, the CMA was open to the cloud remedies with changes but MS balked at the changes because they were not technically feasible.

Yeah… there are ties to a certain publisher (that’s not MS) and this individual… why would anyone take their opinion with an ounce of objectivity?

12 Likes

I wonder if that’s the thing that was reported about ability to download games?

In the Remedies Working Paper, we stated that an effective remedy should ensure that future versions of Eligible Games would be able to run on non-Windows OSs through compatibility layers.1490 In its response, Microsoft told us that this was not a reasonable requirement because it could not ensure that a game could operate through a compatibility layer, that only the third-party developer of the compatibility layer could update, when Microsoft updated Windows, and that some titles could not run on open-source OS because of security concerns regarding cheating. Instead, it proposed a commitment within the Cloud Remedy that it ‘shall not implement any features or functions in the Eligible Games after the Commencement Date with the deliberate purpose of preventing or negatively affecting the operation or performance of any compatibility layer or of the Eligible Games running on a compatibility layer.

1 Like

They could probably make smaller studio acquisitions even with this whole thing going on but im not sure MS would even care too

Just my take and it’s based on nothing but I don’t think MS cares too much about studios here and there anymore, they are after teams that can either pump out lots of content and/or big needle shifting IP and tbh, only publishers can really provide that these days

but another publisher while this is going on is likely out of the question

2 Likes

With the CMA decision being based on cloud, it seems unlikely that even Amazon, who has Luna and AWS, will be able to buy a major publisher like Ubisoft or EA. I wonder how Amazon’s gaming division is reacting to this news.

My personal take on today’s news:

It’s not happening, but I would kind of prefer MS to move on at this point. I would take just about any other publisher or group of independent teams over ABK. ABK has a ton of serious issues (toxic workplace, CoD mill, monetization practices, etc.), and since I like Xbox, I would prefer it if Xbox didn’t take on those issues as their own. This isn’t a Bethesda-Xbox situation where I like both companies a lot. Just giving a silver lining to today’s news here.

2 Likes

Microsoft, via Zenimax Online acquired Nemesys Games just last year. It’s not a massive studio, but they had over 50 developers.

Nemesys Games becomes ZeniMax Online Studios Hungary - GAMINGDEPUTY

I would say that most studios are still on the table. Publishers big and small would potentially be off the table due to this cloud concern, but an Asobo? That would still be possible.

4 Likes

Right now it’s not feasible for ms to buy another publisher whether they ditch this deal or not. It would be blocked using exact same arguments. That is why they probably have to appeal….

4 Likes

They’d be very happy to see MS being forced to follow Sony’s playbook, because MS actually want to change the playbook and not just compete.

Imagine Xbox having 10x amount of games exclusive as Sony, hell just imagine Xbox spending some money and making the biggest from each publisher exclusive like Sony does with square.

• Final fantasy XVII xbox exclusive - Square Enix
  • Tomb Raider next - Embracer
  • Mass effect next - EA
  • Assasin Creed next - Ubisoft
  • Resident evil 8 - Capcom
  • Next Sonic/persona - Sega
  • Witcher 4 - CDPR

Easy to say all these things when things are going well and you are not on the receiving end of it. All these guys would literally combust if this happened.

8 Likes

He has always been against the deal.

Let’s be honest here, the guy would cry even louder if the games he likes to play get blocked on Playstation. It would be Rise of the Tomb Raider all over again. But this time Xbox should just smile and say we are competing.

8 Likes

So do you think someone will buy the whole Xbox division, Google or Amazon maybe? Or will it be sold off piece by piece?

I could see Sony picking up a couple of the studios, but not all of them.

2 Likes

1 Like

I think the Dollarama may be in on The Coalition.

1 Like

The Coaliton is probably high on all buyers lists.

1 Like