Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT3| - Sony bends the knee!

They do if they want a shortcut alas boost. Xbox will live with or without it.

Abk isnā€™t the reason for Xbox being slow atm, they just had nothing to show. They will have stuff this year. What does abandoning the abk deal for Xbox?. Nothing.

2 Likes

Not appealing has much farther consequences for Microsoft then just gaming and that will be their main concern. Generating $70-80bn in profit a year means theyā€™re going to keep spending that money on acquisitions. If the CMA are going to use arbitrary definitions of markets and set the bar so low for what could be potentially harmful in the future they could block any merger even ones that have very little to do with their own market as seen with the meta/giphy deal which was also only $300m so a relatively low amount. It may be a long drawn out process that still ends up failing but they have to keep fighting or any acquisition is basically a coin flip decided by the whims of a small group of people who seem hell bent on curtailing big business and big tech in particular

14 Likes

Precisely why they need to fight this, the people at the FTC and CMA think they have a responsibility to block any big acquisition a corporation makes, they think this is justice and that this is their duty, Lina Khan for example thinks any acquisition over 5 billion dollars should be illegal, they wanted that to be the law in a pathetic bill they attempted to pass with Elizabeth Warren, if that bill had passed any decisions they made wouldnā€™t have been able to be challenged in court, that is something they also wanted, Iā€™m all for making these big companies having to unionize and be legally obligated to pay their employees well and give them good benefits, hell I think they shouldnā€™t be allowed to lay off so many people like weā€™ve been seeing lately, especially when making record profits, I find this to be far more reasonable than whatever the hell the FTC wants to be and what the CMA is doing.

1 Like
7 Likes

OT3 ?

2 Likes

These threads will be going on for another year btw. Iā€™m checking out. Someone tell Phil to stop being nice.

3 Likes

letā€™s clarify:

-MS is appealing

4 Likes

How unfortunate everything, I think that the purchase is going to happen but it will be a long road.

1 Like

Yeah this rideā€¦neverā€¦endsā€¦

Another way to look at is that this ride never ends! Yeah!

:smile:

2 Likes

How long will all this take? end of 2024? The wait is going to be pleasant once MS releases games constantly, today it feels bad but it is because it joins the other bad news but in a few weeks a good showcase + Starfield and other games (RedFall, FM) will improve everything.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t MS being misled though? Isnā€™t the whole point of this process for regulators and the big corps to take it out and try to come up with a solution so this can happen instead of being blocked. If the CMA told MS what it needed for the deal to go through, and Ms acts above and beyond and still gets rejected then imo CMA acted in bad faith, especially since a lot of their arguments are completely false and easily disputed since they were pretty much all accounted for and solutions brought against all of this by MS with the deals they made.

No way this doesnā€™t go through, it almost feels like they did this thinking itā€™d buy them more time and make MS abandon this deal.

1 Like

This thing could be dragged out for another year which means it could extend into the time frame that Activision would be looking to re-up their marketing deal with Sony. Itā€™s imperative that Microsoft win that marketing contract.

It also potentially eats into what they could have made exclusive since ABK is still going to function as an independent company.

1 Like

Microsoft will have no choice but to appeal because they would not want the ā€œcloudā€ thing to become a precedent that regulators would use as justification to block any acquisitions they make. And as Zappy said, this might turn political. I honestly see Microsoft lobbying to congress or any political body they can in the U.S. to start questioning the lack of judiciary oversight of the CMA. Out of the 3 major regulators in the west, they are the only one without judiciary oversight. If that happens, I dont see the CMA remaining a independent body for the long term, especially since the world is becoming multipolar with countries having their own interest. The UK is seeking a trade deal with the U.S. and this could be brought up as a topic for a type of reciprocity agreement, if they(the U.K.) will pursue that path.

1 Like

I love blizzard. always have but I want xbox to just move on. Secure cod licensing rights after sony and go after other companies I want Absobo, buy crystal Dynamics, remedy etc. Now we have to wait another year no new acquisitions same doom and gloom

2 Likes

I wish this didnā€™t need to keep being repeated but they canā€™t just move on

Not only because of how important this deal is and how much more it brings to xbox than some random studios people like but because not fighting this sets a precedent for all future acquisitions MS might have

4 Likes

I really like Shinobi but I gotta admit that he was one of the few that was moping when the CMA provisionally no SLC. It just disappointing that many people seem to be happy that Xbox is not allowed to gain competitive ground unless they do it exactly how Sony does it. Like do you guys really want Xbox buying 3 years of timed exclusivity on 70% of the AAAā€™s each year? Why are people asking for this?

Iā€™m probably just being dramatic but thereā€™s a surge of creators and influencers who are celebrating in silence, if you read between the lines.

13 Likes

xbox will always be the odd one out with the media. im sure many are happy about today. even Jason Shchier who is all about unions in gaming and good working conditions,

2 Likes

Do you think they should do other aquisitions while this is pending now? since thee issues are still cloud based