Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT3| - Sony bends the knee!

Personally, if EU blocks in May, I walk away because there’s no point. You’re not going to win against all three when their original decision is against you. If EU passes the acquisition, then they should appeal the CMA’s decision but both or all three if you include FTC? Nah, man. Come on. Start focusing on what you already have and move on.

6 Likes

I talked to my mate who does M&A’s and his view is that Microsoft have no choice but to appeal - not even because they think they will win but if they do not then it will embolden regulators against them in the future. Not launching an appeal is basically giving the regulator an easy ride and they will be more inclined to rule against you in the future. Whereas an appeal costs them money and time and obviously shows at least you aren’t lying down.

Which makes sense. Chances of winning or overturning it are very very very low. However, is the plan to bring political pressure now and try and get the government to make an intervention?

Regardless I think Microsoft have to do this. Or at least threaten to do it. The problem for Xbox is they can’t just stop in the meantime. They really do need to start making other moves now.

8 Likes

It’s partly copium from us lol.

It’s easier to blame the shortcoming of Xbox over the last year on the ABK deal then it is to straight up lay the fault at Phil and company.

The problem is why everyone thinks they’re using Xbox staff to work on it and leave office dark? It’s like how they say why spend on controllers? Nobody thinks there’s a division in the company like at all? You expect a controller guy to work on AAA game? Xbox can still do their thing while Microsoft a parent company work on this.

3 Likes

Okay. All makes sense. I don’t see them doing anything because of this acquisition still going on. We’ll know for sure with their showcase. If it’s just another Game Pass Indies/AA type level showcase, then yeah, I don’t see them doing anything until all of this ends. Microsoft better hope, wish and pray that EU sides with them because if not, I really don’t see how they can possibly get two regulators and FTC to all of a sudden go their way when their original decision didn’t.

Wish Microsoft never went after ABK because it’s been one long clusterfuck. UGH.

1 Like

Don´t you think that if the ABK deal would have been approved Xbox wouldn´t have announced another acquisition already?

1 Like

I just need to say it here:

The situation with ABK is its own world. The acquisition is about joining the world of full blown public. If it merge, the world will know and acknowledge the status. Therefore, everyone will account it to be an asset to Xbox platform. We will advertisement that associate with the company itself everywhere.

If it doesn’t merge, the world goes on normally. Only finance speaking will be updated but truth be told, we should not even taken account that extreme. Maybe when the company goes bankrupt or whatever but not making a move we have no actual business as gamers. Do you really a kid or casual audience will be on it that hard? Don’t even think about internet is majority of the market? We’re not. CoD wouldn’t thrive if that thought was true.

What I’m saying is, ABK status won’t doom and gloom Xbox as a whole. It’s more or none.

1 Like

People yell at anyone that suggests that Microsoft may reevaluate gaming and whether its worth being in it. Heres market pundits talking about just that and even indicating thats the prudent and smart move.

I do not think its ludicrious to think this deal falling through may chase microsoft out of gaming despite what Phil Spencer said.

3 Likes

Seeing a lot of people hoping Microsoft drops this but I don’t think it would be a good idea considering the argument the CMA is making to block the deal, this would set a pretty grim precedent for their gaming division considering they could just block due to their good position in cloud gaming, and I know nobody else is ABK but the argument is coming from the cloud gaming argument and not anything else, an unproven market, who’s to say they wouldn’t attempt to block a Ubisoft over cloud concerns for example, they’re in a tough position now due to this and pursuing timed exclusive moneyhats would be a massive shift that just doesn’t make sense with their current plans, I hope they fight it because I don’t doubt they can win, unless CAT thinks just like the CMA, in that case then all hope for this deal is lost.

After all the investments and promises these last 5 years that would he wild and probably a mistake considering the potential there is in gaming, it’s one of those things that gives Microsoft a “cool” product, leaving it all would be a mistake, even if it’s not a big money maker.

Perhaps but it does put Xbox in a very strong position and undoubtedly secures it’s future due to how popular COD alone is and all the mega franchises ABK owns (Mobile gaming too) this is a big blow no matter what anyone says, Xbox needs big exclusives right now and consoles to sell, I don’t doubt Starfield will be big but it ain’t Elder Scrolls and Fallout big, those IPs can go toe to toe with juggernauts like Spiderman for example, Starfield probably won’t (popularity wise) due to being a new IP, Xbox will have a lot of games but they need some big games too, games that will be mainstream, COD would’ve been just what they needed, even if it wasn’t exclusive, simply owning it and having associated with the brand and Game Pass would be huge for Xbox.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a good idea, but it appears market analysts, pundits, and investors may.

2 Likes

If they do then fine, just give me Fable, Elder Scrolls 6 and Perfect Dark before leaving, I don’t have the desire nor the energy to switch to an entire new ecosystem if this were to happen so I’d just quit gaming and get another hobby.

Pundits also thought it was a good idea for MS to abandon bing and xbox years ago

Bing has since exploded in popularity and potentially becoming the main engine for samsung mobiles and xbox is making more revenue than ever despite releasing absolutely naff all and still has more potential growth than almost anything they are currently investing in

Pundits don’t know shit

8 Likes

New thread, same “Xbox is doomed” nonsense, same warning from the previous thread.

16 Likes

It still applies the same. More or none. What I’m saying is if they don’t acquire it, then that’s that. It won’t lead them to sell Bethesda or anything that is damaging, because this is on Microsoft themselves. Nvidia didn’t fold or anything when they failed to acquire Arm. Basically, gettting ABK is like getting the flute in Super Mario Bros 3.

Wasn’t Nvidia already in a very powerful position? They didn’t need ARM, maybe Xbox doesn’t “need” ABK but that’s debatable, I think they do.

Same here

I just hope we dont get a 2024 edition of this OT.

4 Likes

Thirded… for my sanity please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If Microsoft appeals then it is going to late 2024 and possibly beyond, I don’t see why those two approving would change the CMA’s minds, they’re ideologically driven and trying to stick it to big tech, just like the FTC is, there is little thought to this from them, just a corp making a big purchase and them thinking they have to somehow stop it just because, they just look less stupid than the FTC because they took their time but they were aggressively against this deal from the very beginning, phase one feels like it was long ago but I still remember how aggressive they were back then, the cloud “concerns” is straight up clown arguments and nothing more, they ignore all the other benefits and positive things from the deal because some day Microsoft might dominate cloud gaming, currently a very uncertain market, I hope they don’t drop it and fight to the bitter end.

3 Likes

If this goes to 2025 they have to renegotiate the price. No way ATVI is still 75$ then.

People on TV talk simply to talk. They are paid to get on TV and spout whatever shit enters their heads because they need to fill airtime everyday.

No company is going to abandon a business generating nearly 16billion per year in revenue.

1 Like