Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT3| - Sony bends the knee!

The appeal is not juste one visit to a court. It is another trial that could last for weeks. You can not go a court and say “the judge was wrong, deny it, and fast”. So, the drawback is that a granted appeal would kill the deal probably by wasting time. On another side, it also means that getting the right to appeal is also a very high bar.

1 Like

The answer will be clear this week for sure. Just go out and have fun.

1 Like

Yes, I think, at the CAT trial they said they could close without CMA approval (at the risk of divesting later on).

6 Likes

Looks like we’ll be playing Diablo on Monday!

2 Likes

The stock is exploding again!

5 Likes

The good news on top of this is:

1. The CAT hearing is not far away
  2. The CAT itself is thoroughly peed off with the CMA and it’s behaviour
  3. The CMA appear to be in disarray and under resourced, making it more difficult for it to make arguments
  4. This new result actually lends weight to MS in their arguments against the CMA
7 Likes

I saw the thread explode with 100+ posts and got CMA flashbacks

15 Likes

Why did go up again?

6 Likes

some people know nothing about CMA and think it is over

Second wave of people getting the news.

Lollll gaf is imploding

8 Likes

The FTC cannot receive another temporary injunction, they would need an extension to the existing one. They are unlikely to receive that based on this ruling as they still need reasonable cause to receive an extension or the parties need to agree to it which is unlikely.

I was the only one here who believed the PI would get denied, just here to run my victory lap

1 Like

:face_holding_back_tears: awesome news , congratulations everybody we did it.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1678792363592802305?t=q0JpKHMaCmaI1dlwsYLrOA&s=19

7 Likes

They let a door open for the CMA to save face. They just need to make one step in the same direction to agree.

3 Likes

Apparently the CMA have asked CAT to pause litigation, which sounds to me like they have grudgingly sat down with MS at the negotiation table.

This deal is closing. The CMA have given up. *Walter Bloomberg on Twitter: “MICROSOFT, ACTIVISION, UK CMA ASK TRIBUNAL TO PAUSE LITIGATION $MSFT $ATVI” / Twitter

25 Likes

It’s a lovely thing to see.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/jordannovet/status/1678791807629418498?t=34WHrUhu3x0NHcKJMSQa4Q&s=19

12 Likes

In addition to the CMA only having one argument which is just as weak as the FTC, it seems Microsoft holds all the cards anyway!

Would the CMA really prevent Microsoft trading in the UK when nearly every UK business, school and hospital uses Windows, Office and Azure? Doesn’t Microsoft also currently have the contract for the UK’s national security? It would cripple the UK if Microsoft pulled out overnight which is terrifying as I know what my (UK) government is like!

I would be intrigued if Microsoft can simply ignore a CMA fine too, what would be the legal comeback? The only plausible escalation is preventing them trading in the UK (which they won’t do, based on the above).

I’m wondering if we will see something like this soon (with it explicitly stating excludes UK).

8 Likes