Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT3| - Sony bends the knee!

The Judge must be feeling like Jey Uso before betrayal. One move could make the fans cheer or jeer.

4 Likes

I say this both affectionately but also with a bit of a wry smile about it all, but if she sides with MS on this, I can see Xbox aligned content creators putting her name/image on all sorts of merch as some kind of Xbox hero. I actually quite like that about the Xbox community. It’s all a bit more of a laugh about/with their execs and other power brokers.

Stock market is going strong so far. Either they are hopeful or playing a huge gamble.

1 Like

All the signs are relatively positive, from a US perspective. No reasonable observer of the recent court case could interpret it as another other than a win for MS. The FTC were terrible, with the judge singularly unimpressed with them on many occasions.

That said, the fatalist in me is still nervous.

4 Likes

It’s up less than 1%. People need to understand that stocks fluctuate for virtually no reason at all. You’re not going to see any meaningful swings based on insider trading/info alone.

3 Likes

Why do many people think today is the day?

Could be wrong but I believe if the Judge doesn’t make a decision today, MS and ABK’s deal runs out and they’ll have to extend the deadline to close the deal or ABK pulls out and takes MS’s $3 Billion ?

Someone smarter than me will correct me though lol.

5 Likes

I think people are just making assumptions based on the short time to the deal deadline of the 18th.

2 Likes

Yep, the TRO expires 5 working days after the PI decision (to allow for emergency appeals either way) and therefore today is in theory the last day by which the decision can be handed down and MS still be able to close following the 5 day period without needing an extension.

Now as some have said whilst the judge has said she was mindful of timescales that does not guarantee she can hand a verdict down in time to allow MS to close before their deal expires. She might not see it as possible in which case she may not see today as a deadline. Some have interpreted it as though she does. We’ll see.

2 Likes

The judge did sound as if she was hugely aware of the time sensitive nature of all this, which leads me to believe she’ll try to get a decision out in time for the 18th deadline. Which basically means today.

But she’s in no way obligated to do it today, if she feels that doing so would lead to a mistake/omission of some kind.

2 Likes

That’s how I see it - she was probably aiming to do it by today - but it isn’t a guarantee - and like you say if she needs more time she needs more time.

I do not think so. the TRO expires the first day of the PI hearing. What expires 5 days after the judgment is the appeal window.

That is correct, Zappy is wrong here. The TRO is clearly stated as a 14-day window barring any closure from the date the TRO was granted. The only time the 5-day period enters the equation is in regards to the PI - which has its own timetable and, as Florian and others have pointed out, if the TRO period ends and there is no PI granted, MS can close. Specifically, any closure cannot occur until 5 days after the decision, about the PI, is made.

9 Likes

Yep ok fine. The point is that there is a 5 working day window post decision to allow for an appeal (this is specifically aimed at the FTC) to put an emergency TRO back in place - to prevent MS closing.

The mechanics of which - mean that in theory today is the final day for a decision by when MS could close the deal in time before the end date.

Of course, the PI procedure prevents the closure, but this is not the TRO itself.

1 Like

Me checking the news every 5 minutes.

IMG_1930

5 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

I would take a break for atleast 5 hours…

https://twitter.com/FOSSpatents/status/1678429000241229833?t=3VrVWkjJkve2et3444m_kg&s=19

9 Likes

6 Likes

Oh so…nm…*goes back to playing Zelda