Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread |OT2| The NeverEnding Acquisition

I’ve already said this twice but I they were or could’ve been hiding stuff because of the console concerns they wouldn’t be hiding stuff because of cloud concern, meaning I don’t think they’ll hold anything back game wise going on from now.

Microsoft announcing a new Banjo game, Fallout 5 and others wouldn’t really do anything about cloud concern because all their theories are ifs and maybes.

2 Likes

Yeah, the 10 year deal was actually going to benefit cloud gaming since many providers can use the Microsoft/ABK carrot to get people to try their service. Now the smalller plays that worked a deal with MS are in a much worse position since they’ll lose out on a bunch of games

1 Like

Exactly, whereas they had to compete on content before, after the contracts they can compete on the quality of service instead. The deals MS made fostered competition in the cloud space…

3 Likes

IMO, just have a good June showcase with games to be excited about and a solid idea of the road map for release dates and this stuff can go to the back burner where it belongs (as far as discourse around xbox is concerned).

5 Likes

I’ve been wanting to do my showcase predictions, will do em soon have some doozies haha

1 Like

I think the deal has helped Xbox understand what platforms & outlets are on their side, as well. I mean it’s just a fact social media is gangrened with radical Sony fanboys & so are many so called ‘professional’ gaming news sites.

With Twitter currently on shaky ground under Musk’s stewardship, I feel companies like Microsoft might decide to look elsewhere for advertising & messaging.

Big changes are coming to how business is done in the west IMO (from a regulatory standpoint & also in terms of advertising).

2 Likes

Yeah I can see no reason to hold back now. Ideally they would also remove the nice-guy act and take on Sony properly.

4 Likes

“well XCloud might become too strong”

You know, despite them offering every other cloud company under the sun access to ABK games including their biggest cloud rival in Nvidia

Like how do you possibly conclude that it’s better for this deal to die than it is for all these other cloud companies to be able to get access to ABK games because they sure as hell weren’t going to get it without MS

All this does is completely stifle cloud growth, why would anybody invest in this stuff when you have clowns like this around, it’s infuriating

3 Likes

regarding what ?

oh i was referring to someone who thinks with cma blocking, 2 years later xbox will be third, like sega

i forgot to reply

There is no point in trying to argue logic or making any sense of it. It’s a cultist-leaning organisation making ideological descisions.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the most concerning about being blocked for cloud reasons. It’s clear that blocking this deal hurts providers and theoretically puts Microsoft and other major providers in a stronger position because others are losing access to major games to get people to test service . Plus, ABK weren’t big fan of cloud, so this can get messy

1 Like

not sure

1 Like

If the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT) finds that the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) acted irrationally or improperly in its decision-making process, it can quash the CMA’s decision and order a reconsideration of the case by the CMA.

The CAT has the power to remit a case to the CMA for reconsideration if it finds that the CMA made an error in law or in fact, acted irrationally, or did not follow the correct procedures. In such cases, the CAT may send the case back to the CMA with specific directions or guidance on how to correct the errors or shortcomings identified by the CAT.

However, the CAT’s power to remit a case to the CMA is discretionary, and will depend on the circumstances of the case. The CAT may decide to remit the case if it finds that the errors or shortcomings identified by the CAT can be corrected by the CMA, and that a remittal is necessary to ensure a fair and accurate decision. However, the CAT may also decide to make its own findings on the merits of the case and issue its own decision, particularly if the issues involved are straightforward and do not require further investigation or analysis.

Ultimately, the decision on whether to remit a case to the CMA or issue its own decision will be up to the CAT, based on the evidence and arguments presented to it, and the legal and procedural requirements of the case.

TLDR: CAT will remit to CMA or block/approve the deal right there.

After that, MS can appeal CAT block to court of appeal.

1 Like

Looking at this, I just find it very hard to be concerned over the future of Xbox.

14 Likes

Still don’t get how they calculated Xbox has 70% of the streaming market.

• GForce Now is 25m
  • PS Now is probably 5m
  • Every one else combined is probably 10-15 million

Assuming that 45m is 30%, Xcloud must have 100-105 million players for a 70% share?

Making it the biggest “high end” gaming supplier on Earth?

Bullshit! Absolute Bullshit! CMA fucked up their numbers again.

7 Likes

I take no pleasure in the deal being blocked. As I said at the time, I think the deal would be good for gaming.

It really would reinvigorate the Xbox brand.

At this stage, if I’m MS I would pull out and look for other opportunities. Maybe they think the very slim chance is worth it.

FWIW Idas on Era suggested that a ring fence of the UK market might even be something they would consider. But again, I think we’re talking a tiny chance.

Like I said at the time, in a post brexit world this is the CMA trying to make a name for themself. I took heat for it last time, but I honestly think they were determined to block from the outset. They just had to find their reason. It’s politics. And another brexshit victim.

And it’s a joke the ‘wild card’ regulator has the worst appeals procedure out of the big regulators.

2 Likes

actually they are doing it, it’s not like, cma says no no for a stupid reason, ms will give up right now

Im bad for it but a ton of that is impatience. All those studios and we have had 2 AAA launch (Halo and Forza) and a decent of amount of smaller releases. Tons of promise there for the future but people are getting impatient for the today. All those studios and 2 major launches this year means we are at 4 in 3 years which feels low. Not bad, but low for how hyped they made this gen.

Objectively its not bad, Microsoft is absolutely fine, however if this deal does fail and doesn’t go thru it is a ton of wasted time for the company as it seems like a ton of work has been put into this and other acquisitions and deals are put on hold because of it. So the future of the brand isn’t at risk but it will clearly be a set back for their vision and a loss of time.

btw CMA was very challenging before, at first moment i was surprised but after that, looks not surprising if you look the past. Unlike CMA, i don’t remember if EC was like that (except that infamous “my playstation” tweet)