Microsoft Acquiring Zenimax/Bethesda

First thing came to my mind.

MS will never open their Warchest for Xbox

Lost count of the times I’ve read that. Yet here we are. Jesus what a fucking Gigaton!

5 Likes

I cannot believe this happened. Just… wow.

I no longer have to worry about PlayStation exclusivity deals, at least, ha. More importantly, Game Pass has just become exponentially more impressive. Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, ZeniMax Online Studios, Arkane, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks… now, it’s a must-have to a much, much larger audience.

On top of that, we live in a world where Obsidian could work on Fallout again, where World’s Edge could make an Elder Scrolls RTS, …where Double Fine could make some absurd Doom spin-off.

4 Likes

MONUMENTAL, EARTH SHAKING ACQUISITION HERE!! :exploding_head:

This is what I was saying on the lesser Era and even in the acquisition topic here just last week. Unprecedented move by Phil and company which signifies to all that they are here for the long run period. No second guessing from anyone.

This website about to get bigger…

10 Likes

Holy balls, I’m shocked

4 Likes

WHAT DA FUK gigantic wtf

#twentybytwenty

Xbox REALLY wants to be the RPG box!

That doom developers comments about the seriesS holding next gen back are quite funny and ironic now.

14 Likes

Great news for those invested in the MS ecosystem.

Arkane, Tango Gameworks and ID makes some of the most interesting games in the industry.

I couldn’t be more excited to never pay for them again. GamePass rules

3 Likes

I think it’s the biggest gaming news ever tbh. It completely changes the game.

It makes Gamepass THE subscription to have. Now if you don’t sub to gamepass you are insane.

3 Likes

I still don’t know how to put this in words. I’m so…baffled.

On the one hand, the teams involved now have a greater sense of job security which is always a positive, no matter how you spin it.

On the other hand, Microsoft now owns 30 years of historic, culture-defining software…which doesn’t really sit right with me.

Even still, those games are not only guaranteed to never leave the PC platform but has an opportunity to reach further out it’s gaming-related confines.

I’m happy for Arkane. I’m concerned for Tango Gameworks, because they’re a JP dev and the rules on western companies acquiring JP devs doesn’t really count for these scenarios. I wonder how Mikami will take this.

so it’s a wait and see for me where this investment goes.

Oh trust me, I’m just being reserved. Internally, I am losing my mind.

I’m not sure how I feel about Microsoft starting this inevitable pattern of buying publishers, but yea, this cost $3 billion more than the biggest franchise (Star Wars).

This has absolutely blown my mind…

What does this mean for the ps5 timed exclusives? (wonder if this is why they were delayed too)

Now Microsoft just needs to purchase or create a studio for Killer Instinct please? <3

Playstation: We’ve got Final Fantasy 16 for a whole year f*ckheads.

Xbox: Just wait right there for a moment…

10 Likes

Shooters on Gamepass soon:

Doom, Battlefield, Battlefront, Wolfenstein, Gears, Halo.

RPGs:

Avowed, Fallout, Outer Worlds, Elder Scrolls, Fable.

2 Likes

I’m stunned. What a day! Biggest bold move of the entire industry! This is the Microsoft I love! Bold and fierce!

Thanks @XboxP3 Incredible move! The future is bright guys, so bright!

:booty: :philwins: BRAVO!

2 Likes

While a great move for Xbox, I’m not sure I agree with one publisher buying another. This creates a lot of redundant jobs that could potentially now be lost. Fewer publishers are generally not healthy for this industry.

The PS5 games should still be timed exclusives, meaning Xbox Studios are now publishing two PS5 timed exclusives lol. After that, I’d assume it’s all Xbox and PC.

6 Likes

I’ve been saying they need to buy Sega for years, given their relationship and the value it would provide for Japan and xCloud. Everyone in my Acquisitions thread kept saying I was crazy and they wouldn’t spend that kind of money… well here we are.

I see people saying in the other thread that Bethesda will remain multiplatform, do we know that for sure? Does this count for the other studios too then? If so I would assume MS gets a hefty cut of PS5 copies of games then?