Machine Games and id Software to team up for a "Revitalization of the Quake Franchise" a scoop by Xbox Era

Quake 2 was an excellent game in terms of gameplay and level design, but was a massive disappointment to me visually. What Romero pulled off with Quake’s aesthetics was so engaging, atmospheric and unique. To see it turn into a fairly bland sci-fi game (visually) was a big let down.

The description doesn’t indicate to me that it is something of that level. Like a Doom level facelift for Quake. That would essentially be a brand new game though rather than a revitalisation. I reckon it’s just original quake with a couple of nice lighting, resolution and asset upgrades.

1 Like

I wonder if this is one of these games Phil Spencer mentioned when he talked about what would be exclusive and what wouldn’t be.

It could send the wrong message, journous and fanboys are eager to overflow the web with headlines like “bethesda games are not exclusive”. Moreover Quake has no significant “legacy” on any console, it received some ports of oscillating quality.

No you can’t come and after the E3 show, where you repeated exclusivity, and say yeah this Bethesda game isnt. You need to hammer it down constantly.

1 Like

I’m hoping for a PS5 demon’s souls affair, or MCC is another example, where they haven’t touched the game logic or design just added a modern skin on it.

It’s hard to imagine how going less far than this would be better than just putting it out as a 120fps retro package with all original graphics.

It’s a game I played as a teenager and I’m in my 40s now. Just touching it up a little around the edges is not going to stop it looking ancient. It either needs a total re-skin or just go with the retro approach and rerelease with high fps and resolution, pixelated textures galore.

Unless of course it’s something like the Minecraft or Quake 2 RT projects. Adding full RT to a retro game can look kind of cool.

A Master Chief Collection style anniversary collection and an announcement of a new game being in the works makes the most sense to me.

A full on Quake reboot is something Xbox would be more involved in I think. They would be marketing the reveal quiet a lot as it would essentially be a new AAA pillar IP for them.

It will probably happen at some point down the line, I just don’t see how this could be it.

Rb54664fa73c2c68d22b7f4431617454c

1 Like

I mean a remake, not a reboot. I agree a reboot would be a full next id project, announced at E3 and not out for years.

I am saying like Ocarina of Time for the 3DS, or Halo MCC, or Demon’s Souls on the PS5. The exact same game but with new graphics.

To be honest I would take a retro release of the original Quake over nothing. Just saying that if the ‘revitalised Quake’ is to do with the original game and not just something relating to that arena FTP thing they have on Steam, a remake would be the best option.

:ice_cream::ice_cream::ice_cream::ice_cream::ice_cream::ice_cream:

(Scoops of ice cream… It’s the new shrimp)

1 Like

I think it depends what it is. If its just a minor facelift for the original then I don’t really see them not releasing it on everything unless its PC only anyway. If its a more significant remake then I think thats a different question. But my guess is this will be a fairly minor thing and might be PC only…

I think people really should temper their expectations on an exclusive quake. For now every exclusives from Bethesda after the acquisition are new IP. There is still a chance that old IPs remain multiplat. I hope not, but I’m ok if it’s happening.

Why should they temper expectations of a game that comes from a Microsoft Studio being possibly exclusive? Aside from Deathloop or Ghostwire there is no reason on this earth for any other game to touch a PS/Nintendo platform.

3 Likes

Who said that? Sony fanboys? XD

The real question is: if this thing is a collection of repurposed old games almost ready, sadly it can be multiplatform because MS is the good guy now, so it will sparks new uncertainty for Bethesda games over and over.

1 Like

“Legacy titles” means games already released, not IP that have been on other platforms.

5 Likes

Unless its something tied to a contract (Deathloop, Ghostwire) or a game already released with content still on the way (Doom Eternal, ESO, FO76) absolutely everything Bethesda release going forward should be exclusive, doesn’t matter whether its small games, big games, remasters, remakes or reboots, it should all be PC/Xbox exclusive

Even just one game will make people continue the whole “well it will still probably come to playstation, just like that one game did”

Some people are STILL going on about Starfield coming to PS after being beaten over the head with STARFIELD IS EXCLUSIVE message, thats not going away if they actually do continue to release other games on PS

and considering Game Pass in their goal, it makes zero sense releasing elsewhere, with something as big as Elder Scrolls at least there’s the millions of sales missed argument, even if that’s misguided also but other games like a Quake remake arent selling anywhere close to Elder Scrolls levels! Some extra sales aren’t worth undermining potential game pass subs

6 Likes

i don’t need a remake or reimagining of Quake 1 and 2. Just give it a resolution and framerate boost and maybe add a raytracing mode for fun. The games itself have stand the test of time.

2 Likes

Little typo in the thread title. Studio is called id Software, not iD Software.

3 Likes

Keeping in mind Quake 1 isn’t even on console right now, even a relatively simple port with minor updates would be something nice to have. But yeah rt or texture updates and high framerate support would all be good. Maybe they can finally integrate the NiN soundtrack properly haha.

2 Likes