Machine Games and id Software to team up for a "Revitalization of the Quake Franchise" a scoop by Xbox Era

Still absolutely insane to me that Xbox own Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstein…

Maybe acquire Unreal Tournament to complete the quadruple. :wink:

A proper Quake game across PC and Xbox has to the potential to be massive.

7 Likes

@Marcheur @Callangoso thanks!

1 Like

don’t fuck up Quake

pls just don’t :pray:

1 Like

Wolfenstein is still fast compared to something like Halo. Doom is just on another level of speed and has highly unique FPS mechanics.

But yes they are definitely distinct.

OG Quake is kind of a slow game. I’m not sure what nuQuake would be, but if they were rebooting it (I think this thread’s news is basically just a remaster, so I’m speaking hypotheticals assuming they’re also doing a reboot), they could have it “replace” Doom for the intermediate future. That is, id could move on to a new Quake game as their main new game, which would have Doom adjacent gameplay.

:smirk:

I r newsman

6 Likes

I r internet detective?

https://twitter.com/MikeJMika/status/1265477475724693504

2 Likes

So that’s what they’ve been working on, the main team at Machine

pretty obviously reads like a joke, he wouldn’t just put something out there like that

1 Like

I think this will be the big game for early 2022.

yeah, the remake/remaster for quake 1, then a year or two for the DOOM style reboot of the series. Makes the most sense.

2 Likes

Hold on, so Machine are making a remaster or a full reboot here?

not sure yet, theorizing what they meant with “revitalization”

Always assumed this was a full reboot

My guess? Both, first this remaster and in a year or two the full reboot.

3 Likes

The phrasing of “revitalization” would imply to me that it is not a reboot, or at least, the specific game being shown off in this schedule isn’t. The digital foundry people appearing probably indicates it’s a retro project.

1 Like

MG is quite busy, that’s for sure. It’s this and Indy for them. But depending on when Quake comes out they can go all hands on deck for Indy.

1 Like

Yeah to me this sounds like a ‘remake’ of Quake or remaster or whatever. Not a new game. Be interesting to see what this involves and how extensive it is. You could guess it might be less than many hope/think based on the wording.

Also be interested to see if this releases on PS5 I suspect it will given that the project started pre acquisition but who knows…

Really hope it’s a PS5 Demon’s Souls-level remake of the original game, but I would happily take a new title if it’s in the gothic Lovecraftian legacy of the original, not the sci-fi leanings of the sequels.

Quake games are really different from each others: Quake had a lovecraftian theme, Quake 2 after Romero’s departure was literally another subset of Doom theme-wise, Quake 3 was arena-only, Quake 4 was almost single-player only, Enemy Territors was squad based, etc…I wonder if an hypothetical collection would include only mainline games or also spin-offs like Enemy Territory or Live (which is the modern take of 3, still fairly active and with tournaments).