Logitech and Tencent are creating a new handheld (which supports XCloud)

Depends on the price. Nvidia Shield price (ideally slightly lower) would be neat.

the idea of a third party cloud device that could host multiple services aka Geforce Now, Xcloud, Stadia(lol), PS streaming etc is nice

big battery, decent controls, decent screen is all i need

the more the merrier honestly, especially if it means avoiding tencent

2 Likes

Another argument why Microsoft shouldnā€™t release its own handhold.

1 Like

I just ordered an AYN Odin Lite. Iā€™m guessing this might be similar to that or any of the other Android handhelds.

Yeah, no thanks.

I like the trend of 3rd party handhelds. I donā€™t like Tencent on the backend. Hope this trend continues with other companies and if Microsoft doesnā€™t want to develop their own, they also form a partnership.

2 Likes

Same, if anything itā€™s still good for competition though e.g. pricingā€¦

I would buy an Xbox handheld super fast.

2 Likes

Anyone end up preordering this? $299 is too high of a price for me (let alone the $349 msrp that itā€™s supposedly going to be listed at after the $50 off preorder bonus), but there was a $50 coupon at the Logitech store which brought this down to $249 w/ free shipping.

I preordered one at that price.

Even at $249, itā€™s a bit more than I would want to spend, although I donā€™t think itā€™s unreasonable considering the Razer Kishi and Backbone controllers go for $99 all by themselves, just for a controller, whereas this includes a 1080p screen, a large battery, an SOC, RAM, wifi chip, on board storage, etcā€¦ etcā€¦ Anyone thinking something like this would be $150 werenā€™t really thinking this through.

So anyway, Iā€™m really excited for this to arrive. Iā€™ve used my iPhone 13 Pro Max w/ Razer Kishi, my iPad Mini 6 w/ a controller clip, and my MacBook Pro for Remote Play and/or Xbox Cloud Gaming, and none of them were able to provide that true handheld experience that Iā€™m looking for. It sure looks like this device will do the trick.

So yeah, anyone else interested in this product? I recognize that it probably appeals to a small niche of consumers, but I fit firmly within that niche.

There was a bunch of discussion going on in the Community thread when the news of this device first dropped.

Starting with this post:

Thanks! Seems I kinda missed the window to chime in there.

I just think many are missing the philosophy behind a device like this.

The Switch, Steam Deck, and Xbox/PS consoles are sold for a more attractive price because they 1.) Are intended for mass adoption/huge sales numbers & 2.) Are able to be sold at very small profit margins or oftentimes at a loss because the real money is made from software/subscription sales.

This device clearly is intended for a niche market and mass adoption is not anticipated. Itā€™s no different from the Backbone controller being sold at $100. Itā€™s sold at this price because total sales numbers will be in the hundreds of thousands w/ no software sales rather than the many millions, oftentimes 50/60/70/100+ million in sales w/ software kickbacks that occurs with the other devices this has been compared to. That or devices like the Ayn Odin that has a smaller screen, worse battery life, a less ergonomic controller, and needed a $4mil plus Kickstarter campaign to come to fruition.

Itā€™s no different than third party elite controllers from SCUF or AIM or other 3rd party manufacturers being sold for $250+. Itā€™s meant for a niche audience and any and all profits are made from the hardware sales so the price is going to be higher.

Just my two cents. I do think $349 is wayyyy too high, $299 is still too high, $249 reaches that ā€œreasonableā€ price point, and $199 wouldā€™ve been a steal.

Either way, canā€™t wait to get my hands on mine. I think it has the potential to be the best game streaming handheld on the market, which is an exciting prospect.

3 Likes

What coupon did you find for 50 off? The only one Iā€™m seeing is for 30 off

SEP22USD , but Iā€™m assuming it expired in September.

1 Like

Thanks. The one I found appears to be an influencer code, it is ā€œSHROUDā€ and it says itā€™s for 5 percent but it seems to be doing 10 percent instead.

1 Like

All great points. A few thoughts though, which arenā€™t meant as counter-arguments:

• I think the Backbone comes with its own software and even a subscription or something?

• There are a few different AYN Odin models, some of which are (I believe) better than this device in some respects. Like you said though, thereā€™s no question that Logitech is more reliable than a company that had to run an Indiegogo and are having huge issues getting products in hands. I saw a YouTube video comparing the two the other day, Iā€™ll see if I can dig it up.

• The Tencent factor isnā€™t easy to ignore for some.

I ordered an Odin Lite like @binarymelon and - even though Iā€™m very excited to receive it (like you are for your Logitech G Cloud) - I know that Iā€™m putting up with a bunch of compromises. Sadly, thereā€™s no perfect device at a reasonable price point for this particular slice of enthusiast device, and we just have to go with whatever serves our use cases best.

I know for my part, Iā€™m planning on cracking the Odin Lite open when it arrives to replace the sticks and face buttons, and I might also get a Beefy Grip to supplement it. Itā€™s hardly ideal and Iā€™m petrified that Iā€™ll ruin its guts, but Iā€™ve made my peace with it.

All that aside, I would really love to hear your thoughts on the LGC when you get it. Iā€™m really hoping that this MS cloud push succeeds, and it would be great to hear about different experiences! As fun as it was to dunk on Stadia, it is a bummer that itā€™s dying since it apparently had the best tech and competition in this subfield isnā€™t exactly heated.

Edit: I wanted to complain about the price of the LGC too, but my Odin Lite with extra bells and whistles will probably end up exceeding that price anyway, so :shushing_face:

All great points!

I donā€™t know all the details of the Backbone subscription, but youā€™re right, originally the Backbone was released as just a hardware product but some time after the fact they paywalled their app ($50/year). Which if anything, makes their $100 asking price more of an eyebrow raiser.

And yeah, the Odin (and Steam Deck) definitely offers way more functionality and significantly better internal hardware compared to the Logi device, no question. If I wanted to get something more out of my handheld than just xCloud/Remote Play gaming, Iā€™d definitely opt for the Odin or Steam Deck. But again, for the small niche of consumers that just want ā€œthe best game streaming handheld on the marketā€, which Logiā€™s device appears to be striving for, this should be a perfect fit.

Iā€™ll definitely chime in when I receive mine to share my impressions!

2 Likes

Reviews starting to drop:

Logitech G Cloud: If cloud gaming was perfect, it would be too (9to5google.com)

Logitech G Cloud Gaming Handheld review: terminally online - The Verge

Looks like it does what it intends to do well, which is play cloud games in a native handheld form factor.

2 Likes

Yeah, it looks like a great solution for that use case! It seems from that first review that Xcloud could use some more work though :slightly_frowning_face: Would love to hear your experience with it when you get it, maybe this dormant thread would be a good place?

My Odin Lite just shipped, and Iā€™m intending on posting my impressions in there. Hopefully itā€™ll arrive before a trip I have planned, so I can test it out on hotel Wi-Fi too.

One of the less-prominent things Iā€™m looking forward to with these android handhelds is non-gaming stuff, actually. Not sure how well itā€™ll work but Iā€™m curious to see how things like Plex (media streaming/downloading from a private server) and Tachiyomi (manga/comic reader) perform. Itā€™s not all streaming, RetroArch, Daijisho, et cetera!

Pretty good review:

1 Like

We might be getting on in for coverage sometimes ā€œsoonā€, not sure yet but fingers crossed!

4 Likes