Logitech and Tencent are creating a new handheld (which supports XCloud)

All great points. A few thoughts though, which aren’t meant as counter-arguments:

• I think the Backbone comes with its own software and even a subscription or something?

• There are a few different AYN Odin models, some of which are (I believe) better than this device in some respects. Like you said though, there’s no question that Logitech is more reliable than a company that had to run an Indiegogo and are having huge issues getting products in hands. I saw a YouTube video comparing the two the other day, I’ll see if I can dig it up.

• The Tencent factor isn’t easy to ignore for some.

I ordered an Odin Lite like @binarymelon and - even though I’m very excited to receive it (like you are for your Logitech G Cloud) - I know that I’m putting up with a bunch of compromises. Sadly, there’s no perfect device at a reasonable price point for this particular slice of enthusiast device, and we just have to go with whatever serves our use cases best.

I know for my part, I’m planning on cracking the Odin Lite open when it arrives to replace the sticks and face buttons, and I might also get a Beefy Grip to supplement it. It’s hardly ideal and I’m petrified that I’ll ruin its guts, but I’ve made my peace with it.

All that aside, I would really love to hear your thoughts on the LGC when you get it. I’m really hoping that this MS cloud push succeeds, and it would be great to hear about different experiences! As fun as it was to dunk on Stadia, it is a bummer that it’s dying since it apparently had the best tech and competition in this subfield isn’t exactly heated.

Edit: I wanted to complain about the price of the LGC too, but my Odin Lite with extra bells and whistles will probably end up exceeding that price anyway, so :shushing_face:

All great points!

I don’t know all the details of the Backbone subscription, but you’re right, originally the Backbone was released as just a hardware product but some time after the fact they paywalled their app ($50/year). Which if anything, makes their $100 asking price more of an eyebrow raiser.

And yeah, the Odin (and Steam Deck) definitely offers way more functionality and significantly better internal hardware compared to the Logi device, no question. If I wanted to get something more out of my handheld than just xCloud/Remote Play gaming, I’d definitely opt for the Odin or Steam Deck. But again, for the small niche of consumers that just want “the best game streaming handheld on the market”, which Logi’s device appears to be striving for, this should be a perfect fit.

I’ll definitely chime in when I receive mine to share my impressions!

2 Likes

Reviews starting to drop:

Logitech G Cloud: If cloud gaming was perfect, it would be too (9to5google.com)

Logitech G Cloud Gaming Handheld review: terminally online - The Verge

Looks like it does what it intends to do well, which is play cloud games in a native handheld form factor.

2 Likes

Yeah, it looks like a great solution for that use case! It seems from that first review that Xcloud could use some more work though :slightly_frowning_face: Would love to hear your experience with it when you get it, maybe this dormant thread would be a good place?

My Odin Lite just shipped, and I’m intending on posting my impressions in there. Hopefully it’ll arrive before a trip I have planned, so I can test it out on hotel Wi-Fi too.

One of the less-prominent things I’m looking forward to with these android handhelds is non-gaming stuff, actually. Not sure how well it’ll work but I’m curious to see how things like Plex (media streaming/downloading from a private server) and Tachiyomi (manga/comic reader) perform. It’s not all streaming, RetroArch, Daijisho, et cetera!

Pretty good review:

1 Like

We might be getting on in for coverage sometimes “soon”, not sure yet but fingers crossed!

4 Likes