JRPGs |OT| The Grind to Level 99 is Paved With Good Intentions

I always felt “left out” of the JRPG genre when I switched from PS2 to 360. I was used to playing the newest FF, but then Xbox had very few JRPG games. I played a lot of Lost Odyssey, Enchanted Arms, and XLIG titles Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World. Eventually, I caved and got a Switch, but it seems like everything turned around just after I bought it! We now have remasters of classic FF games, most of the Persona games, Soul Hackers 2, SMT V, both Octopath Traveler games, both Ni No Kuni games, DQ XI, great JRPG indies like Cris Tales and Operencia, Euyiden Chronicles, and more to come! A lot of them are on game pass as well! So now, the only Switch exclusive JRPGs I have are first party Nintendo games, Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario series, and FF Pixel Remaster.

I am most happy about FF X coming to Xbox, as it’s my favorite one, and Game Pass introducing me to the Persona series. There’s no shortage of good JRPGs on Xbox now, so much so that I don’t think I will ever run out of JRPG games to play!

Did you play Octopath Traveller? Its a good game.

Also since this is pretty much the place to talk about JRPG in general. Do you think we will see more JRPG hitting the Game Pass service in the next few months?

Honestly speaking, i would really want both Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood to debut on game pass.

@Talesunheard I have played some of Octopath Traveler, but not completed it. I ended up buying on Xbox when it left game pass, before it returned. I pledged for the dual kickstarter of Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood, so I have those to look forward to as well as Metaphor, the recently announced Expedition 33, and other kickstarter games. My hope is to see future Persona, SMT, and FF games come to Xbox. I know Xbox made an offer for Persona 6 to be exclusive, but it was turned down. Hopefully the game pass deal continues at least, so maybe we’ll get it as well as the rumored Persona 1&2 remake. And Square has signaled a desire to release all new games on multiple platforms after they consolidated and sold off their western IPs. I would love to play the rumored FFIX remake on Xbox, as it was the first FF game I played.

1 Like

The kickstarter games in question are Glitched, Into the Eternal, Flynt Buckler, Bestario, and Alzara. In case you wanted to look into them.

2 Likes

I was also interested in The Outbound Ghost, but it’s turned in a fiasco. The solo dev says the publisher ported it to Xbox without his involvement and it is an older, almost beta build with lots of issues. He filed a DMCA takedown of his own game, doesn’t want anyone to buy it, and sued the publisher.

1 Like

What the fucking fuck Square!?!

1 Like

Square being Square as always. But hey we’re getting Vision of Mana, DQ and Fantasia.

2 Likes

Its Square. Also we are likely getting the full Mana games eventually if the new mana game is anything to go by. That and we got Fantasian and DQ.

So it not the end of the world.

1 Like

Is Fantasian a sequel or a console port?

Console port.

Edit:

That’s what they added as new content.

• English and Japanese voiceovers - All cutscenes, and many optional scenes in the game are now voice acted. You’ll be able to play the game with either the English or Japanese voice actors.

• 4K visuals - the PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S and Steam versions of the game will offer support for 4K displays, making this already beautiful game look even prettier.

• Normal difficulty mode - FANTASIAN was a very difficult game upon release, with many bosses pounding players before they worked out the optimal strategies to defeat them. FANTASIAN Neo Dimension adds a new ‘Normal’ difficulty, to make the game a little more approachable. Of course, if you crave the challenge of the original game, that’s still there too!

4 Likes

Wasn’t this already announced? Or is this another Saga remake?

Another SaGa rmk. In Japan this is the most popular game in the franchise.

1 Like

Really excited for Fantasian. I have an Iphone, but couldn’t bring myself to pay for Apple arcade.

I saw Fantasian and DQ III at the Nintendo Direct, and I am excited to see them come to Xbox! Although it’s weird that DQ III is releasing before I & II. I also saw Mario & Luigi, which appears like a turn based RPG ala Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario. I really enjoyed both of those, so should I keep an eye on it?

Is it wrong that I liked many showings from Direct yet I got Expedition 33 on my head front and center? No, it’s not because it’s “high-budgeted” but the style and design are something I wanted. Not tired of HD-2D or anime style, but this “what could be FF today” is badly needed.

4 Likes

Its not a problem. It truly was a good showing of something brand new, which folks enjoy.

But Expedition 33 is not a Jrpg per say but is heavily inspired by it.

Now, am really hoping we get a partner preview during this season and with it some new Jrpg, since those are always fun. Who knows, we end up getting the rest of the Mana games ported over to xbox alongside Live a life and Triangle Strategy.

TGS is coming, but they’re going to focus on Gamescom which understandably so. They have been doing good at those shows as of late, let alone improving.

1 Like

The last TGS was not that good. Rather a disappointment. The year before was great.

They did blew their load last year with Showcase.

You’re not wrong but that doesn’t change that the last TGS was a disappointment. I don’t even expect new announcements from big publisher. Ports of older games are fine like they did in TGS 2022.