JRPGs |OT| The Grind to Level 99 is Paved With Good Intentions

Thats the best thing octopath has going for it. And music.

Uh ok, to each their own. I think it stinks.

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

So far, no console has been linked to this.

1 Like

Now that I finished the first 4 stories on Octopath 2, time to bring my other 4 low level characters into late game areas, equip them with the late game gear, and watch the level ups roll in

So satisfying lol.

1 Like

Looks a lot like Genshin Impact.

Off topic but have anyone here played the Nonary games before? Been thinking about trying it out because ChatGpt told me that it’s similar to the Danganronpa games.

1 Like

You should have tried it while it was still on GamePass. You just missed it. It left after being on the service for a full year.

There are some similarities. you have puzzle segments and really long visual novel segments in these games. I like the escape room puzzles, they are mostly logical and not always easy. The story segments are ok but some are loooooong and drag.

You get a lot of playtime (50+ hours for both games) for your money, no doubt.

Nick says Skies of Arcadia remaster in works??

I hope its a proper remaster and not garbage like tales of Symphonia.

Was hoping Sega Remade it instead. Thats a great day 1 gamepass for xbox if they can get it.

1 Like

Took some time to get (was supposed to get it in January) but I got this lad. Valimar from Trails of Cold Steel.

Written on the back is the all too (in)famous quote: "Come! Ashen Knight Valimar!

I’ve never put one of these together before so I’m looking forward to it lol. Maybe I discovered a dangerous(ly expensive) new hobby…

By this point I have surely funded a new island to explore in Ys X :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Skies of Arcadia Legends in HD but without the GameCube audio compression is all I ask.

Top tier JRPG and more people deserve to experience it

I keep hearing amazing things about Ryza 3… God damnit next week can’t come fast enough

I have it set to ship alongside Grimgrimoire here (not a JRPG… RTS game) for free shipping, which is out next Tuesday.

I should definitely be done with Octopath 2 by then, at least. I’m already at the last chapter for the other 4 characters because they were so overpowered with already equipped endgame gear they blew through the bosses in a minute or two. Then I think there’s just a finale chapter and then I’ll see if I can take on the superboss.

Looks like Trails in the Sky. I love it. I really hope this series ends up as a new answer to Trails, the thought is making my hype for this game surge.

1 Like

Man, I loved Joshua and Estelle (only played the first one). Don’t have any experience with Suikoden, I hope that Eiyuden is up my alley! I played the other one that hit Game Pass a while back and the world was interesting enough.

I’m doing the finale chapter of Octopath 2 now, and -now- all the characters are interacting, voice acted cutscenes and all

Unfortunately only doing it -now- makes it feel alien as hell lmao. I’m just laughing at how these characters don’t feel like they know each other but it’s trying to be passed off as if they do.

Effort for trying, I guess?

2 Likes

OH HELL YES, YES I POPPED OFF (Octopath 2 spoilers)

This made the fight HILARIOUSLY easy, but damn it was epic. When Octopath 1 was coming out I was envisioning a fight like this but they didn’t do it there. Happy to see it now. Only one thing left in the game now, the optional superboss, who is the same as the one from the first game

2 Likes

Working on my Jprg gamepass backlog atm, a bunch of stuff to play and no time :roll_eyes:

Just finished Souls Hackers 2 and well, not a bad game, but also not very fun. I liked the characters and combat was good, however the levels (except the last one) and axis dungeons felt really uninspiring for me. Got on 4th floor for each character and called a day.

Now I started Ni No Kuni and so far really enjoying (really amazing atmosphere), bit overhelmed by the combat, once Im getting used to party gameplay. So what is the best tatics, putting the party on auto or swapping between them? I felt when I try to swap, I always mess up with defense and it gets a little confused.

I thought that was Culex from Super Mario RPG and that’s why you were so hyped lol.

Yeah this was me too. Cool characters, interesting premise, decent battle system all let down by mediocre dungeons. Still enjoyed it but no motivation to do NG+ and max stuff out.

1 Like

Beat the superboss in Octopath 2. Frankly it’s probably one of the hardest JRPG bosses ever made, I don’t even think you could beat it without looking up a strategy

I still have screenshots from 2018 on my Switch from beating the Octopath 1 version of this boss. 5 years later and I sent him packing once again :sunglasses:. He brought lots of new tricks in OT2…

And on that note, I have also finished the game

So overall, it’s a more memorable game than OT1. The finale chapter and epilogue afterwards are very nice, good they made a proper ending for the game this time lol. The 8 stories themselves… Eh, well, the writing still isn’t so good. I don’t think I got invested into any of them lol. The -overarching- storyline is a bit more interesting and better woven in than OT1’s attempt at it, at least.

Gameplay is improved all around with the limit breaks/latent power abilities and being able to speed up battles. Graphics also feel much more crisp than OT1. Exploring the overworld is a lot of fun now that there’s more interesting things to see and you can sail around on a boat. The optional dungeons are a bit more unique this time too.

Side quests are still mostly about the same. Though this time they added some voice acted side quests involving characters you meet in the 8 stories. They also added some “side stories” in which 2 of the protagonists link up and do their own mini stories.

I’d say this games an 8.5/10, in comparison to OT1 which I think is a 7/10. You probably won’t like it if you didn’t like OT1, but if you did, there’s a much more refined and “complete” feeling game here, this one I feel was more “heartfeltly” developed than OT1.

I did everything in the game and it took 90 hours, so there’s a very beefy content packed game here.

Nick keeps hinting that OT2 -is- coming to Xbox, maybe it will, I won’t be replaying it though.

By the way, I saw some people from both Nintendo -and- Sony Interactive Entertainment thanked in the credits. Not sure what the extent these two had in the games development was though. I played the game on Switch.

2 Likes