Jeff Grubb: Another reason to get Gamepass coming in the next 2-3 weeks

Hope it is not this. Would be such a let down. If it is just a perk for a trial of EA access they shouldn’t hype it up at all.

Would love WB, didn’t play Injustice 2

SEGA would also be a great partner

1 Like

there’s also Gamescom at the end of the month :thinking:

I wonder if the 2-3 weeks is hedging, WB Games event 8/22, Xbox event likely the week after that?

I kind of think it’s EA. Maybe just their sports games day one on Gamepass.

Basing this on Grubbs tweet about Sony falling out with EA, Shinobi saying some people would be a bit meh about it on Restera, EA saying they are working with other platform owners on subscriptions and this unverified person I was just reading there on Restera who confirmed it but is unverified hence why I put that last.

1 Like

WB has such a large slate of games coming up.

Suicide Squad, Harry Potter, Lego Star Wars, and Batman. Top that off with whatever Netherrealm and Monolith are working on and you’re looking at a huge get. I’d imagine a day 1 game pass deal would cost a ton of money. Maybe enough money to allow them to not sell off the game division. If WB doesn’t sell, i’m fairly certain it’s because they found a new way to get money quickly in return for something, and with a deal like this, it would be without having to wait for the games to actually come out.

Edit: doing some math, let’s say that those four games would be expected to sell 3 Million each on the Xbox platform in the first few months. You’re looking at a lost revenue of about $720 Million. Maybe Microsoft offers something close to $1 Billion and locks them up for a certain number of titles being worked on currently and then gets them to commit to supporting day one releases for the next 5 years or so.

Is Microsoft willing to be that aggressive? Is that kind of a purchase better than outright buying the studios? We know Microsoft wouldn’t particularly want to bring on the 1,000+ employees along with such a large purchase and then pay more for licensing.

1 Like

And like others said, a Game Pass deal would be better for everyone than blocking a multiplat game with exclusivity

honestly, if they buy WB games, I’d imagine every huge licensed game would stay multiplatform. Spider Man being only available on PS4 is mind boggling and I don’t anticipate it will stay that way forever. Disney is going to eventually be able to strong arm Sony. Even MLB The Show is going multi platform now.

I’m looking at comps for streaming rights. The Chuck Lorre shows’ streaming rights were sold to HBO Max for $1.5 Billion. Usually the streaming deal are between 5-10 years. Seinfeld to Netflix was over $500 Million.

Yeah i saw this. The reason i feel like MS should have approached these devs and Sega and got an actual Jet Set Radio sequel going!

Yeah I’m starting to think you’re right. UFC 4, fifa and madden are pretty massive gets for game pass though (assuming that happens).

Sega announces many series launching completely on gamepass.

Yakuza, Persona, other atlus games.

Jet Set Radio 2 announced (direct sequel of the first ignoring JSRF), multiplatform but day one on gamepass.

Skies of Arcadia 2, developed by Sega, Grounding Inc and Mistwalker, funded by Ms day one on gamepass too.

Just the start of an even stronger partnership than that of OG Xbox.

Believe!

This maybe warrants a separate discussion but I honestly believe that it’s in the rest of the industries best interest that Sony get no bigger by simply taking market share.

I think it would be a smart move on EAs part honestly.

Forgot about Grubbs saying that about Sony/EA. Good point. Tbf, some ppl will always be ‘meh’ about anything Xbox over there. Curious how the pieces of this puzzle fit together exactly. I wonder how well EA Access did on Xbox post-Game Pass. Maybe they weren’t hitting their targets and this is a good way to accomplish that?

I think MS is going to radically alter what counts as ‘the market’ this cycle.

2 Likes

Yeah and that is in everyone’s interest. Any new people Steam, Epic, Nintendo, Sony or MS bring in will always be welcome.

Letting one company get so big they can aggressively take out an opponent is bad for everyone else.

1 Like

My vote/hope is Bandai Namco.

1 Like

I think this will be a smaller publisher not a large one like EA.

This could be reasonable… just think about it. Tales of Arise? Elden Ring? Wow

This could also bring games like Dark Souls, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, etc.

Having a strong partnership with a Japanese publisher launching games into Game Pass day 1 would be awesome. Then Xbox can take its time building or buying studios there.

lol Elden Ring will honestly be rather insane and can easily be dismissed as near impossible. You really think a studio more home to Playstation in recent memory (their most acclaimed game is Bloodborne, the first great PS4 exclusive this gen) shall be outbid for Game Pass Day 1 over timed exclusive on Sony, especially given how aggressive Sony is willing to be with these kinds of deals? I know for the past two years, Xbox has had marketing rights at E3 for FromSoft, but that also coincides with Sony just not doing E3.

As much as Elden Ring on Game Pass would be the biggest possible deal for me, it just isn’t happening, fam. It sucks to say, but forget about such a thing being possible. There’s sadly more possibility that Sony might try to scoop it up as a timed exclusive even though Xbox has had marketing rights.

The actual mic drop would be to know Elden Ring is even real anymore lolol, so let’s at least get that confirmation first.