Is the Hellblade 2 trailer in real time? Dev. clarifies!

He’s a hardcore xbox console warrior.

Here’s an example.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/verge-lockhart-has-7-5gb-of-usable-ram-the-same-cpu-speed-as-series-x-about-4-teraflops-of-gpu-performance-up-tw-wont-hold-back-next-gen.235720/post-38133988

And this

https://twitter.com/Gavavva/status/1272247847434489865

That post resetera is actually a really good and informative post.

2 Likes

That reads like he’s tired of concern trolling more than console warring but that’s just me.

5 Likes

I don’t agree with his opinion about Jason, but the rest of his post is more than fine. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for developers to read ignorant forum posts about things they don’t know about and love it when developers call baseless assumptions out.

Pointing out facts does not make someone a warrior.

4 Likes

I have to admit the post sounds reasonable. I was expecting a flaming fanboy rant. Now he does seem to have a issue with Schreier but it seems a lot of people on this board do too. I personally know almost nothing about Schreier. I don’t following game press much anymore.

2 Likes

To put my two pence in…

Yes, I do. I have an issue with anybody who holds actual weight in the world of gaming or any other news, be it people themselves or sites, that lean too far one way. I have no problem with you being a fan, that’s fine. I myself lean more towards Xbox over PlayStation for example, but I don’t let it warp the facts, and I actively engage with anybody of any creed (to an extent, of course). I also don’t have millions of people reading my news and posts, and taking them as fact. In these situations, you shouldn’t have a fanboy spin on things, but… certain people in the gaming world do.

The trouble is, bias is everywhere. Yes, Jason does it. But so does IGN, so does Geoff Keighley. The difference here though is IGN is a faceless corporation, and Geoff actually sits and engages with fans of both sides, and has a discussion. I have a lot more respect for Geoff for that, because while yes, it’s clear as day the guys a Sony fan, he still at least tries to post some Xbox stuff and put a positive spin, and never ignores his fans, no matter they blue, green or red. Jason on the other hand, will actively search out and block people without ANY prior engagement or even mention of himself, just because they like something he doesn’t. He cannot take any form of opposition or criticism against himself, and will just blank it out into his echo chamber. As a person in his position, and that’s the important part to take here, I personally don’t think that’s the right attitude to take. Yes, I have been rude in the past about him, but as I said, I’m not in a position where millions of people read my words and then take them as fact.

In this world, you will never fully agree on things. Somebody will always like something you don’t, and vice versa. That’s absolutely normal. But if you cut these people out of your life before they even have a chance to speak or show their opinion (like hundreds of people have had happen to them from him), that shows you just don’t want to even hear opposing views to your own.

5 Likes

fair call. Let me first say thank you for the breakdowns that you have done. I enjoy learning about how systems and technology works in game development.

I understand your frustrations with Jason. I have seen many people try to engage in a discussion only to be informed that they have been blocked. Regardless, It is great to see you engage in conversation with all fans to talk. I hope the efforts bring people to a middle ground of understanding or being more aware of what it takes to make a game.

1 Like

I’ll chat with nearly anybody, even raving loons who have zero clue and insist on calling an orange an apple. Opposing views are great, they are healthy. But it’s also healthy to learn, and to listen to others. It’s fine to be right, but there’s also nothing bad about being wrong. Shutting people out and blocking them just because they said something as simple as “I prefer Xbox over PlayStation”, which are actual posts I’ve seen with nothing else to them, is… a very weird way to live life. I only block when I see extreme fanboyism from people who clearly don’t want to learn or talk and just want to act a plonker. I have no time for that.

3 Likes

Preaching to the choir here man. I’m a designer and sheet metal tradesman and watching discussions on how you handle heat generation in side a plastic box is just doing my head in.

If you don’t mind me asking, with all that is coming out about software and hardware for Next Gen, What has been the biggest topic of conversation with fellow developers? I can see the hardcore consumers have their interest in price & performance. I just wonder what it is for you.

1 Like

Everybody is talking price, and why things are so quiet. I think it’s pretty obvious why things are quiet (COVID put more than a few spanners in the works). Price wise, I mean, the prices for these consoles are higher than normal and in a pandemic where people are hard up for cash, and both companies are waiting to not be the first at dropping that explosive bomb. I still believe Xbox will come in slightly cheaper, But that’s just my feeling. Cheaper… not cheap.

As for what my friends and I talk about, the rumblings as it were… we are fed up of talking about SSD, I’ll give you that much. That’s what everybody asks, what can the SSD do, lol. It will be a breath of fresh air for a lot of people, but I think everybody needs to temper their expectations a bit as they are building it up as some sort of miracle cure that does everything when it’s not. RT gets talked about a lot as well, but the daft thing is people just think RT = reflections. Audio has been talked up to be the coming of the gods, sound so good that close your eyes and you will be there in the game… 99% of people won’t even notice a difference, sadly.

It’s a pretty standard next gen shift. Lots of new power, nobody knowing quite how best to use it “yet”, an absolute shit load of missed targets and target shifts. But there are now these weird expectations as well from people for brand new experiences to come about, all due to marketing. I think, as awful as this may sound… people need to see that gaming isn’t going to change drastically just because of an SSD, or a trigger that locks up. There will be cool experiences and gimmick games ahoy, for sure, but it will all roll back around to the usual COD/FIFA/Forza cycle of old. Give it a year, if that, and SSD talk will be forgotten, the power difference only seen in DF videos, and the controller will be back to “thats a big ass select button”.

I think, really, people just want to design and make cool stuff, and every generation you get the shackles taken off just that bit more. The power in these consoles is just incredible, and some amazing things are going to come from it. But as usual, that power needs to be tapped, and it’s all about developer talent. So, expect absolutely breath taking story driven games from Sony that push story telling and visuals to new levels. As for MS, I hope they get a little more freedom, and are allowed to make those sort of experiences too. But otherwise, expect what they are doing now, only sexier. Third party is what rules the roost IMO, so let’s just keep an eye on the big games there, your creeds, your Witcher’s, your dooms.

It’s going to be a great gen, but the start is going to be rough as sand paper… for both consoles. We just all need to set our expectations a bit lower.

1 Like

Brilliant, Thank you so much for the insight. That matches with how I see things going ahead but no matter how many generations of consoles I’ve seen, I always wonder if it will be different.

It’s a really informative analys, I like his thread, he know what he talk about. Hellblade 2 is going to look amazing, NT are technical wizard !

Keep in mind that the issue with vegetation and foliage in UE5 has to do with transparencies and how Nanite has yet to properly support them. This affects more than just foliage.

They are working on it though. While you could use traditional means to render them, the whole point of Nanite is pure effeciency and adding a ton of foliage here is going to hurt performance. Also mentioned in the same talk is that Nanite is so performant that the demo could have ran at 60fps, but it was Lumen holding it back as it currently runs at 30fps on that level of hardware, something else they are addressing.

I’d disagree about game design reverting to existing trends. At least to an extent. Machine Learning in XSX and upcoming PC’s is a game changer. Flight Sim is just the start of that sorta thing imo.

1 Like

I think the problem comes from people wanting new experiences but also wanting to keep it familiar.

1 Like

Game Pass helps with this area too. Devs can have more freedom to take risks knowing their game has much higher odds of being noticed/played on GP.

For the ML stuff, it can radically change how games are made/designed. Not directly in terms of having radically different resulting designs/experiences per se, but in terms of how easily/fast/efficiently high fidelity assets are authored, how animations are made, how physics systems are designed, how some world systems work…that all will radically change. Again I stress that the general experience for the end user might ‘merely’ end up being hyper realistic fidelity instead of whole new types of experiences though.

If there becomes some industry wide databases for the use of various ML models and whatnot then I could see indies trying some really wild stuff maybe.

1 Like

Exactly, don’t sleep on Direct ML, it is a true game changer. Its area of applications is quite large and it is on hardware level. AI accelerator if we can call it like that. Its own cores for that.

Small reminder

DirectML – Xbox Series X supports Machine Learning for games with DirectML, a component of DirectX. DirectML leverages unprecedented hardware performance in a console, benefiting from over 24 TFLOPS of 16-bit float performance and over 97 TOPS (trillion operations per second) of 4-bit integer performance on Xbox Series X. Machine Learning can improve a wide range of areas, such as making NPCs much smarter, providing vastly more lifelike animation, and greatly improving visual quality.

Remember the XSX is DX12 ultimate ready meaning lots of really good stuff for the future on this console

1 Like

I’m hoping the CPUs in these new consoles will allow some advancements in AI, physics, world interaction, etc.

1 Like

Absolutely, however remember that if you want scalability, some of those things are either not possible or extremely difficult.

True, which is why I think the faster they drop current gen the better. Raising the minimum requirements in the PC version of can would hopefully help move things forward.