Is anybody getting into the Android ecosystem because of xCloud?

I have always been Android and was getting the new Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, but Apple’s decisions have 4 other people in my family that will now be switching from Apple to get the new Galaxy Note 20 phones too. Apple has always sucked for me though :slight_smile:

I’m already in it! Almost 10 years.

Ive been Apple for a long time now, ever since WP closed its doors…I may actually go to Samsung to enjoy this lol

Apple makes great products, and they certainly have an advantage of being able to optimize for every stack of the platform, but they are horribly overpriced and the company always seemed like they like the smell of their own farts.

Amen. I went from the awesome Nokia Icon to an LG Android. Android is…fine but neither company has come even close to having an appealing UI or optimized OS.

I’ve been hovering over upgrading from an iPhone X to the new Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra most of the day, but I use my Apple Watch pretty much all the time and it’s stopping me. I bought the wife a new Samsung tablet the other day and compared to my own iPad it’s twice as cheap and twice as good.

I’m seriously giving massive thought to just switching, because Apple haven’t actually done anything new or forward in years, and it’s starting to drive me a little mad. Ever since I bought the X, I said “I’ll get a new phone when they make it look different and sort the notch”, yet every year… same damn phone, same low memory, same shitty camera, same battery…

I’ve hovered over the purchase icon at least half a dozen times now… ugh…

1 Like

I have been an iPhone user since 2007, but seriously thinking of switching over as my time infront of the TV is diminishing.

1 Like

I had considered an iPhone previously. Right now I’m using a Note9. If xCloud is solid, I probably will never consider an iPhone ever again, when it’s time to upgrade.

I’ve been using iPhones forever, though I’ve at least considered Android every time I upgrade. But with Apple denying me xCloud–and me considering the pros & cons of switching to Android–I decided to pre-order a Pixel 4A. It’s cheap but has a good screen & camera and gets minimum 3 years of software updates (getting 4-6 years of software updates is the #1 reason I’ve stuck with iPhone all this time). So, it’s finally time to see how the other side lives. And if I end up hating it, which I’m not expecting to, at least I’m only out $350 as opposed to $800+.

I will miss my Apple Watch though. :disappointed:

I got my S20+ a few months ago, don’t think i’ll be getting the Note, but i’m more than happy with the phone. Had an IPhone XR before this, and just didn’t enjoy the lack of personal customization imo. Though it looks like something that will be addressed in upcoming IOS updates, I just went with what I was most comfortable with.

2 Likes

How are you liking the phone?

Loving it honestly. Did a good bit of research beforehand because I wanted the model but didn’t know specifically which one to get(between the base S20, the Plus, and the Ultra), and every article i’ve read said that the Plus was basically the sweet spot. Processor is extremely fast, havent had a single hitch in performance, battery charges fast and lasts very long. Only small beef is that you can choose between 60hz and 120hz refresh rate, but raising it to the 120 drops the screen resolution drops it slightly. As opposed to the Oneplus 8 where 120 is a standard. Highly recommend though.

1 Like

I’ll definitely be getting a tablet once the program officially launches.

The promise and potential of xCloud was a big reason I got so invested into the MS ecosystem over the last few years. Sitting in front of a TV isn’t always an option, and being able to play from my phone was a tantalizing proposition.

But Apple is being Apple, so I guess I’ll be snagging a compatible tablet over the next few weeks.

The Galaxy tabs are really good they have optional LTE

I hope XCloud would be available on the store for Surface tablets. Not sure why MS didn’t implement it.

Definitely an option but I am going to wait for a year to see how the Apple thing plays out.

I am much more likely to invest in a compatible tablet in the short term.

Kind of off topic but I wonder how long it will be until a TV app is available. If Microsoft’s ultimate goal is to be the Netflix of gaming, that would make a sensible next step.

Just got an S20 to replace my iPhone and a galaxy watch to replace my Apple watch. Have been streaming madden on xcloud in bed with the controller attachment. This is heaven.

The screen on this thing is fuckin amazing. Sea of Thieves looks Chef’s Kiss

I’m never leaving the Apple ecosystem—I’m in too deep and I truthfully love it despite its shortcomings.

With an Apple Watch, iPhones, Apple TV, iPads and macs for both home and work use there’s no turning back. I’m in for good.

However I’m looking into grabbing a cheap Amazon Fire tablet for xCloud. Seems like the way to go without breaking the bank on something I may not use that frequently.

I wouldn’t leave Apple for game streaming purposes solely, at least until unlimited data for mobile isn’t so darn expensive and speeds are more reliably fast. Too much money invested at this point and familiarity with hardware/software also makes it tough.

I wish I had stayed away from iOS but I’ve been on their ecosystem for phones for like 5 years now, the galaxy note s20 is so tempting though, what an amazing phone.

I am too deep in the iOS ecosystem honestly. I even have an apple card because I use Apple Pay so much. However I may buy a cheap android phone and use that for xcloud. But yeah Apple needs to fix this. It’s really total bull shit.