"Increased Resolution UI" will be available for Xbox Insiders later today

Some people were, it’s good they are optimising the OS without wasting resources useful for games.

1 Like

Come on now, just because you don’t have the same experience doesn’t invalidate theirs. I don’t get it either, but there’s no reason to be churlish. I’m impressed as always with the Xbox team for managing to do this without compromise. Those folks continually blow me away :grin:

1 Like

Id rather have the HDR so my TV doesnt flicker when switching.

I simply said that some complaints about the UI “only at 1080p” were exaggerated, that’s it.

My Samsung has a really quick HDR switch, no big deal for me. That’s really a minor thing and there are controversial takes on constant HDR on, so probably they won’t do it on purpose.

For me, it’s 2021, it’s a new generation of gaming and im hoping for a Native 4K dashboard with HDR. Because just like 30FPS is being made obsolete this generation, so is 1080P. Time to get with the current time and that current time is 4K/HDR.

The PS5 UI is shit compared to PS4 but it looks so freaking crisp and clear. The clarity is excellent and not having that flicker between HDR and SDR content is great. I hope Microsoft eventually has exactly the same thing on Xbox Series X.

1 Like

You said they were “crying and screaming” and “lame” in the post I quoted, bud.

Because they were, I saw some people saying it was unacceptable, come on man. The freaking UI, lol.

Heard that the text is crisp now but some pictures like tiles and stuff aren’t updated yet?

I wonder when this will head to all players , because the non insiders are still waiting for the Dolby Vision update. It feels longer this time.

I got this update last night, and it is a nice sharpness improvement on my big 65" TV that I sit too close to :slight_smile: I am fine with this so far, as the readability of things is most important to me over any other “4K” crap in the dashboard given what I am doing in there anyway in between playing games.

1 Like

Wow, this looks so much better! Awesome.

Its not a big difference due to how UI is structured. The ps5 interface benefits more form 4k due to the huge visible space it has for backgrounds. There’s less going on and less icons and menus in general.

But having said that. A 4k UI shouldn’t have any effect on gameplay and for bigger tvs in the future it will look sharper. In 5 years time when we have 8k TVs 1080p image will look blurry. Just like how 720p looks blurry on a 4k.

Didn’t have any problems with this on either my old C7 or my latest set the change is not noticeable apart from the logo flashing up. Is this an android for TV thing or a thing that goes away with newer sets?

Is it 4K, then? I see some people say it isn’t and some other say it is.

Dashboard in HDR is a BAD idea. Look at Sony’s issue - it forces non HDR content into an HDR wrapper, messing it up.

HDR is by no means a standard. 99% of the things I watch aren’t in HDR. And that includes live sports and everything else. I mean 95% of what I watch isn’t in 4K either but HDR is still a mode.

As it happens I’m currently playing quite a few games that aren’t in HDR so for me it would be a bad move to force the console to display in HDR all the time.

4 Likes

Would be nice if they disabled HDR for non hdr games where auto hdr is disabled, then I wouldn’t mind a HDR dash.

But between what we have now and the Ps5 initial implementation I take what we have any time of the day

2 Likes

The thing with forcing HDR for dashboard is - what about streaming apps? Do you allow them to drop to SDR? Of course you should otherwise content is likely to be displayed incorrectly (horribly). So if you take games (and some new games don’t have HDR) and streaming you basically will still be switching between HDR and SDR anyway. So not sure that solves the issue. Sony tried to fix it by effectively spoiling SDR content. Not a good fix at all.

3 Likes

I think it’s the inconsistency for not everything being updated yet throwing people off, but it looks very natively at least the text. For example, they use fonts without any AA and you can see the single pixel detail in the text by looking closer.

1 Like

From how I see it, the best approach would be the following:

1. Have the Guide (left hand menu) use whatever mode the currently running Game / App is when brought up.
  2. Have an option for what mode the Dashboard should operate in: Same as Current Game, Always SDR, Always HDR
  3. Let the user easily be able to flip dashboard between modes.

Throw in some dashboard setting to switch based on time of day like the themes might be nice too.

Yeah, my suggestion would be that any sdr content to turn hdr off. We would still have switches but it would be the person decision at least depending on the type of content the person uses. But matching HDR on/off to the content is a must.

Though to be honest, that’s not something that bothers me, it takes like 2s of a blank screen?

Hmm, that would be good enough. Dash in same as current game would definitely reduce switching between dash and the game