"Increased Resolution UI" will be available for Xbox Insiders later today

doesnt look much sharper and i didn’t expect it to do. the 1080p dash antialiases all font and ui elements already pretty good, so a higher resolution isn’t that noticable.

The goalposts change, they always do.

6 Likes

What about Series S if it can do 1440p that would be great.

Series S should be able to do 4k too. The friggin PS4 Pro can do a 4k Interface.

To me It hasn’t bothered me but the sharper crisper dashboard is neat.

Another amazing thing in the future would be to add 120FPS support for the dashboard. I own a note 20 Utlra with 120hz refresh rate screen and its smooth as hell.

1 Like

Noticed that too. Likely isn’t 4k unless they come out and say it.

I would stop, if this were actually a 4K UI, which it is not

1 Like

let’s wait for an exact pixel count before we start saying what it is and isn’t.

I questioned it and I had Tom Warren on me lol. It was clear from the wording that it wasnt aiming for 4K.

even if its not native 4K I don’t care. Less blurry text and images is what matters most I think. I’m sitting far away enough that the current UI doesn’t really bother me at all.

1 Like

As long as it’s in higher resolution, then it’s all gravy

1 Like

Agreed

4k UI is a non-thing for the vast majority of users, remember when RDR2 launched with a non-scalable tiny mini map? That was entirely due to it being dev’ed and tested by people sitting at desks working on massive screens where close up it wasn’t an issue. Soon updated to reflect the majority user experience. Same here, if you game at a desk then you’ll be happy, but, that’s got to be a tiny percentage of actual users. As for HDR, just no. It’s pointless.

HDR is a convenience factor for not having the TV switching between modes. I think that is the main reason why it is on most wish lists.

4 Likes

From what’s been said it looks like they are not calling it a 4k UI as only select elements are 4k – those relating to text to make it more legible – while graphical elements remain in 1080p?

That’s what I got from it anyway.

Regardless, the UI is perfectly fine for me as it is, so will welcome any incremental improvements while not particularly caring about them.

2 Likes

Some comparisons do show a 2x increase in both axis which is 1080p to 4K though.

A shame not all UI elements are higher res, but I guess they will change over time.

1 Like

No, some graphical elements definitely got a res boost too. It’s just non uniform with many elements still being rendered in lower res (and they stick out a lot now)

Some examples:

image image

image image (Notice how the S/X badges are the same despite the art in the tile being way higher res)

The AC box art actually has even more than 2x the pixel on each axis, but I think they used a very poor downscaling filter before and likely improved that as well

14 Likes

The UI elements aren’t all 4k due to a bug, that’s why they are flighting it.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s not complete yet, but definitely a 4x increase in res boost (and for the title arts like AC Valhalla even higher than 4x), so I think everyone will be pleased with this once they tackle everything

1 Like

Thank you for this post, I always feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I see people split so bitterly over something I can’t easily distinguish.

1 Like

Never have I thought during the past 10 months … damn the xbox needs a 4k UI.