"Increased Resolution UI" will be available for Xbox Insiders later today

Originally published at: "Increased Resolution UI" will be available for Xbox Insiders later today - XboxEra

Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead Insiders will have access to a highly requested new feature later today when the 2109 update (2109.210813-2200) goes live!

With today’s update, Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead Insiders on Xbox Series X consoles connected to a 4K display can begin flighting an increased resolution UI. This change means Home, Guide, and other areas of the UI will be displayed in a higher native resolution for increased sharpness and text readability.

Alpha Skip-Ahead #XboxInsiders can look for a much requested new feature with today's 2109 update (2109.210813-2200) releasing at 2:00 p.m. PT today! Check out the blog linked below for all the info: https://t.co/7zqgD4OWZb

— Xbox Insider (@xboxinsider) August 16, 2021

The update will be released today at 2pm PT / 5pm ET. You can read the release notes by clicking here.

11 Likes

Nice, now folks can stop pretending that having the UI in higher resolution was somehow holding games back lol.

8 Likes

“Sony leads and xbox follows”

3 Likes

Finally. Now add HDR support so that my CX doesn’t have a stroke every time it switches between the dash and a game.

7 Likes

:+1:

That’s the only genuine requirement I see with the various Dashboards, to stay in the same mode as the game/app was and prevent the display chain (AVR and TV or Monitor) from switching.

They are reaaaaally avoiding to say “4K UI”

5 Likes

Probably dont want to commit to anything since its still an alpha feature.

2 Likes

We’re about to see ALOT of mf’ing Digital Foundry wanna-bes become expert of UI resolution comparison.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not completely 4K, as they may not have the memory resources available for it (at this time). It’s impossible to claw back memory they’ve given over to games. Given the choice of 4K Dashboard or games having an extra 1/2 Gig ram, I’m always going to give it to the games.

5 Likes

“Xbox Series X not powerful enough to do 4K?”

Yep evert time the screen turns blue for a few seconds on my 4k tv

Probably won’t be 4k to save memory, but it’ll be better anyway.

:+1:

12 Likes

Great. No qualms with this then.

3 Likes

Awesome!!! Just need HDR and im all set!!!

Since today is for Insiders, when do us regular folks get the update? Thanks.

1 Like

Probably come october Id guess when they fully deploy the set of changes for the public which include Dolby Vision Id imagine.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why this was important to some, but I’m happy for them. Hope it lives up to your expectations!

Edit: This isn’t an invitation to try to convince me. Go in peace :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s great, that was my only concern about this feature.

I figure if they use AI upscaling then you wouldn’t need to make changes to how much RAM is being used, though you would be using some GPU processing power. But maybe I’m over simplifying things and it’s not as easy as it sounds.