Immortals: Fenyx Rising Review Thread

Opencritic: 78 (based on 68 reviews)

Metacritic: 82 (based on 32 reviews)

Windows Central (90)

Ubisoft created an instant classic with Immortals Fenyx Rising, and I’m eager to see where the franchise goes from here. Its breathtaking art style and landscapes are complemented by fun combat and thoughtful puzzles. While the story itself isn’t anything special, the humor imbued within each conversation makes it memorable.

Game Informer (90)

Immortals contains all the ingredients I want from an epic, open-world adventure steeped in mythology. With empowering combat, rewarding exploration, and a story that shines a spotlight on its characters through humor, Immortals Fenyx Rising leverages its myriad inspirations to discover its own identity and deliver an outstanding open-world experience.

IGN (70)

Immortals Fenyx Rising gives us a gorgeous world to explore, filled with mythological beasts, deities, and powers to wield. Its combat is satisfying, with plenty of choice in upgrades, while its central characters, comedic tone, and storytelling are a real highlight. Seeing Fenyx’s saga through to the end, with amusing commentary from Zeus, Prometheus, and other gods along the way, is a treat. Its Achilles Heel, though, is that so much of the puzzle gameplay feels like going through the motions instead of clever challenges. In the end, I wish Immortals Fenyx Rising had tried to soar just a little higher on the wings of ambition.

GameSpot (70)

Immortals Fenyx Rising is far from perfect–but it is good. It stumbles frequently as it explores Greek myths through a new lens, its best features are borrowed, and for as large and fun as its world is, it always feels like you’re on a guided tour instead of really exploring it. But even as it lives in the shadow of better games, its puzzles, combat, and open-world loop come together often enough for me to not only see it through for a few dozen hours, but also want to keep filling out its almighty checklist, even if it lead me by the nose most of the way through.

3 Likes

Updated score:

1 Like

Right around where I expected it to be. It will be a nice sale purchase in a month or two.

2 Likes

Probably better optimized too as it is a Ubisoft game.

2 Likes

Wow, pretty good reviews.

1 Like

I think the Switch reviews are tanking the average score on OpenCritic. It seems to be a pretty disappointing port.

From Nintendo World Report’s review, which gave the game a 60 score:

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is overall a great game that I’m excited to keep coming back to, but the Switch version is such a disappointment that I’m strongly considering starting my entire playthrough over on another platform.

It’s a shame that Switch players will be getting such a compromised version, since I really feel like the weak port does a huge disservice to everything the game succeeds at. I think you should play Immortals: Fenyx Rising, but you should not do so on Switch if you can help it.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/55645/immortals-fenyx-rising-switch-review

2 Likes

Surprised by the good reviews tbh…

Looks like I’ll add that to my “get on deep sale-list”.

2 Likes

They are surprised that the switch, a far less powerful system than the Xbox One runs the game substantially worse?

You know what, as a switch owner it’s reviews like this that really annoy me. You get 3rd party support then moan about it. The switch is what, 500Gflops…it’s a miracle to run these games on it and of course doing so is going to be ridiculous compromises.

4 Likes

Funny how some reviews say the exact opposite of another. IGN says the puzzles are the weakest part whereas Gamespot says it’s the best part of the game :joy: Some praise the story and humor others say that it falls flat. Hard to say if its good. I feel it looks really cool, but I am not 100% convinced yet.

1 Like

This is about 4-6 points lower than I was expecting. Will be on heavy sale or rental list now. Had an extremely high potential, and hopefully Ubisoft make a sequel with a different engine to AC or something.

1 Like

Scores 60 and below are unfair to this game lol.

1 Like

I’ve learned that game reviewers always hate any attempt at comedy in games.

2 Likes

Seems pretty solid, but I still see no reason to grab it over BOTW.

1 Like

I was going to wait for a sale (especially for the Gold Edition, since the post-launch DLCs look awesome), but damn… it looks to be exactly what I need right now.

@peter42O I might grab it at launch afterall!

1 Like

Damn. I really respect SkillUp/Laymen opinion. This review alone has now sold me on it.

1 Like

me too but not now <.<

1 Like

One way to look at it is - Cyberpunk is out soon and that will be an absolutely gigantic chonky open world game that will eat at some people for months, so might as well buy this after beating that, also it will most likely be 33-50% off by then tbh.

yep, feel sorry for the game :smiley:

ACG loved it too. When I eventually finish Valhalla, Cyberpunk and WDL…I think I’ll get it.