How Should Xbox Marketing Capitalize on Sony's Messaging Issues?

How Sony straight up spend the year lying to them about the entire premise of their next gen philosophy. And about how that info was surfaced to them. Many ppl were hyped after the conference ended but then these ‘clarifications’ started showing up and disappearing and things became a mess and totally inverted what many folks held in their head as the image of PS5’s governing philosophy. Even ppl who bought into it now see, with the benefit of the fuller picture, how Sony is the one doing more cross gen stuff after lying about it and MS was the one doing actual new next gen-only titles. I guess some folks feel played a bit.

2 Likes

I can see that. But ultimately I’m in favor of crossgen games. Sony should have been clear about it though.

1 Like

Agreed. It should be up to the dev and the publisher should be clear about it from day 1.

That’s fine, but Sony made a point of highlighting that they were superior to XBox due to ‘generations’.

1 Like

The show tonight was solid, but all the stuff that’s come out afterwards? Youch.

Microsoft needs to be like: “Want to play Halo, Gears, and Fable on day one? Doesn’t cost $70, it’s already included in your subscription.”

1 Like

All they need to do it post a pic of a guy back-flipping from the Xbox twitter account.

Nothing else in the tweet but the picture.

2 Likes

:joy::+1:

3 Likes

I called him out directly and maybe a little bit rudely about this very fact. The bias or disingenuous nature of these people is ridiculous. I prefer less of Fox News in my games media, so people like Ryan should be called out when they act like this.

4 Likes

Microsoft should have a video showing all three generations of Backwards Compatibility games running off Series X saying that it’s all FREE and not behind a $60 a year online paywall followed by them saying, speaking of a $60 online paywall, effective November 10th, Xbox Live Gold will no longer exist meaning that anyone who wants to play online can do so for FREE.

Enough said.

3 Likes

Show their back compat and how it works, emphasize that their games are still $60 (IF THEY ARE), double down on price of console, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS, GAMEPASS and let Sony make their mistakes.

3 Likes

It continues.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1306428033771794433

Btw, 36 countries day one is huge!

3 Likes

Wonder if he will actually respond or just block you too though.

1 Like

It’s going to be hard to capitalise when Sony has the media in their back pocket.

1 Like

I hope Xbox release a video on friday about the launch lineup and some future games. Something to show before the pre order date would be nice.

1 Like

This is true. Sony would be all over MS if there was similar mixed messaging and the media would lap it up. The other way around and we’d see article’s in defence of Sony. Sad to see, but those pro Sony articles get those clicks.

3 Likes

Honestly I wouldn’t worry about Sony at all, but what Microsoft need to do is show the next gen gaming experience. Do something like this. Show a live demo of the UI, load times, game switching, playing multiplayer against someone on their phone and someone else on their pc. Show gameplay of the next gen versions of assassin’s creed, watch dogs, madden, Forza Horizon 4, cyberpunk. Show a concrete launch lineup including gears Tactics, the Medium, the ascent, the falconeer, call of the sea, crossfire X with series X gameplay of all of them. Define a 2021 schedule with Halo, flight simulator, Pschonauts, the gunk, darktide and more. Include seasonal release dates for all of them. Eg. Halo infinite coming summer 2021.

2022 onwards looks very good for Xbox as the new studios get into gear but early gen the pickings look a little thin. Microsoft need to address that.

3 Likes

I’d like them to have a video where they show in numbers how much value Game Pass really is. Let’s say we take this month September and count how much it’d cost to be playing all those titles with a purchase, whether fully priced or with a sale, doesn’t matter. Also show how critically acclaimed Game Pass titles really are - I remember they had a very high average Metacritic. Also announce that next-gen games will stay the same price for them. Stuff like that should really emphasize the value of Game Pass.

Apart from it, yes I do think we’ll see a lot more about BC and I still hope for some more Japanese support from TGS.

And lastly you just show what gaming on Xbox Series X feels like.

2 Likes

Well I’ve responded to each of his tweets with his own articles calling out Microsoft for each of the things Sony just did, including his tweets from yesterday highlighting his own hypocrisy, and no answer yet. Though to my knowledge I haven’t been blocked yet. That tweet about FF16 being a “good get” and how Xbox “fanboys can shut up about it being anti-consumer” was disgraceful, especially given the entirety of the media response for Rise of the Tomb Radier, including IGN, and Ryan’s own articles about it. I never want to hear again about how the media doesn’t have a bias against Xbox; I’m an adult with a career, and while I’m invested in gaming, I don’t do the “warrior” thing but as someone who works in the scientific industry, there’s more than enough empirical evidence to suggest as such. This is just the latest in a myriad of exhibits, and we only need to look back a couple of months to see how the media handled Xbox’s cross-gen stance versus their response yesterday and today for Sony; sure, you have a couple articles where there’s brief mention of hypocrisy but they just spent months advertising their titles as next-gen exclusive to drum up attention and interest, whilst directly calling out the Xbox path. Where’s the outrage or concern for that?

10 Likes

MS is really pushing this. While Sony hasn’t said a single word on this. Will the PS5 have fast switching between multiple games?

2 Likes