How Should Xbox Marketing Capitalize on Sony's Messaging Issues?

Go viral with videos validating their strategy:

• Upgrading a game on Series X without cost
  • Using your controllers on cross gen and next gen only games
  • GAMEPASS and it’s incredible value given games rising prices
  • Show off the console(s) performance. If there’s any truth the numerous reports of Ps5 having perf issues make it clear it won’t happen even on SS
  • How it’s better to play on the device you want not the one the platform holder demands when it suits their strategy
  • PRICE. Cheaper consoles, cheaper accessories, cheaper games, cheaper service
3 Likes

Everyone, please try to refrain from talking about those other places. This is not the place to voice grievances or poke fun at other places. Thanks.

Excellent post and I was going to post pretty much the same thing. MS was at their best marketing next gen earlier this year when they had clear and confident messaging surrounding their console. They were clearly proud of the specs and features like quick resume. Going back to those tactics of more showing than telling would do wonders.

2 Likes

Though I have to say, while I think Ms should be a bit more aggressive (and that if roles were reversed Sony would already have ended this generation by striking Ms on the weak spots) Phil and Co have been spot on in preemptively making the bed for Sony.

I don’t know if it’s industrial espionage or if they are just that good at guessing what sony will do, but it’s been perfect.

Like One X is announced before Pro. Details are shown, “uncompressed pixels” no one understands why. Then a few months later Sony announces Pro, talks about CBR and everyone just clicked on what Ms meant back then. And it made Pro look so bland in comparison.

Same for SX reveal, emphasis on consistency and sustained performance, smart delivery, choice… And when Sony laid their cards all those points made perfect sense again.

So they know what their strengths are, they are laying the bed for Sony on all those points, now just capitalize on them and create a narrative around them.

3 Likes

Xbox has a massive opportunity to convince a lot of people to jump in the Xbox ecosystem now, tons of people are shitting on Jim Ryan right now.

3 Likes