Hogwarts Legacy |OT|

JK Rowling has used her enormous social media platform to dismiss and endanger the lives of the transgender community, donated to terrible people and organizations, and used her influence to try and sway governmental policies through her hatred and bigotry. While a new game is coming out with little to no influence from her it is intrinsically tied to the IP she created, and it is necessary to bring this up while listing out a few ways we can help to combat her awfulness.

Donate to The Trevor Project

Support The Center (gaycenter.org)

Donate - Transgender Law Center

Donate - Mermaids (mermaidsuk.org.uk)

And you can find so many more wonderful charities to help out with here as well.

LGBTQIA+ Pride Month : Charity Navigator

And here is a link to a brilliantly written piece about what JK Rowling’s actions have done to people in the real world.

An open letter to J.K. Rowling - Mermaids (mermaidsuk.org.uk)

Please feel free to discuss the game Hogwarts Legacy in the rest of this thread. If you have any other organizations you would like to see linked here send me a DM.

12 Likes

Hogwarts Legacy is an immersive, open-world action RPG set in the world first introduced in the Harry Potter books. Now you can take control of the action and be at the center of your own adventure in the wizarding world.

Embark on a journey through familiar and new locations as you explore and discover fantastic beasts, customize your character and craft potions, master spell casting, upgrade talents, and become the wizard you want to be.

Discover the feeling of living at Hogwarts as you make allies, battle Dark wizards, and ultimately decide the fate of the wizarding world. Your legacy is what you make of it.

Developer: Avalanche Software

Based in United States

Founding date: Oct 1995

Release Date: 2022

Platforms: PC (Microsoft Windows) / PlayStation 4 / Xbox One / PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X|S

2 Likes

1 Like

Looks incredible

Agreed. I’m a fair bit older than the target demo of the Harry Potter books, even at the time of their release, but I’ve read them all and they’re excellent. An open world ARPG set in that universe has all kinds of potential, so I’m very much looking forward to this game. Depending on what we find out about it between now and release, it may indeed end up being one of those rare Day 1 buys for me.

And since I’m posting, I might as well include the link I had just added to that now closed other thread:

Will definitely tune in to see some gameplay and hopefully more information on a release date. Really crossing my fingers that it’s not even close to 22/11/11…

1 Like

This game looks good, it sucks that the owner of the IP is terrible. Hopefully she sells to Warner eventually and her name is scrubbed from existence.

2 Likes

Does Rowling benefit from the sales of the game?

Seems like a certainty, so I understand anyone who boycotts the game for that reason. She was not involved in its creation at all, but it’s still her IP.

5 Likes

Yeah, I figured as much. If I ever buy it, I’ll make sure to also donate to something she really hates at the same time.

4 Likes

While i detest what shes said im still gonna get the game as i love the ip devs shouldn’t have to suffer because of her viewpoint

Really blows that such an iconic IP is forever tainted.

Slightly off topic, but I still maintain that the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series deserved to take off as much as the Harry Potter series did, but the god awful movies absolutely ruined it. Hopefully with the new Disney+ TV show itll gain a new generation of followers though, and im very excited for it as the author is heavily involved (Plus he’s a huge LGBTQ+ ally, with tons of representation in his books, a polar opposite of Rowling)

3 Likes

I am definitely interested in seeing more of this. So much potential with this universe.

1 Like

Definitely

1 Like

Ok, I can’t pretend to like Harry Potter, but my wife is super into it (read the books and watched the movies multiple times, listens to the audiobooks on repeat for years) and the world has a lot of potential, so I’m tenuously excited.

In fact, I’ve never actually read the HP books, but JKR wrote some great stuff as Robert Galbraith and, say what you like, she’s good at making a world feel real. Seems perfect for an open world game IMO.

Still won’t watch an SoP though

Does it come out it this year? Might be another GOTY contender.

Yea 2022 was originally 2021 game like a few of the titles i want this year

Its a lot easier to separate the art from the artist if the artist isn’t receiving any money from the sales of the art (ex, a problematic artist who has passed). If would be much easier for me to support this game if Rowling wasn’t likely receiving royalties from it due to her ownership of the IP

3 Likes

I am curious will be in Bully vein or not where you can attend classes, travel around and so on. Potentially can be huge.

Someone is always profiteering from something, that’s just the way of it.

I mean in what is a sensitive topic, a one with a well laid out OP with information to Charities and evidence of the awful things Rowling has spouted, your best addition to the thread is a churlish, “Learn to separate the art from the artist”?

Its fine if you don’t care about the hurt Rowling has caused, read about the awful suicide attempts by fans heartbroken that the person who wrote the thing which spoke to them the most growing up has gone a tirade openly discussing your worthlessness. A woman who will claim that every trans man is just someone who cannot cope with the inequality of the Patriarchy, every trans woman has decided to say they are a woman purely to be able to abuse cis women more easily. Someone who has actually set trans rights back in the UK by using her platform, a platform which Harry Potter has given her, a platform she uses not to spread love, and empathy and understanding like the stars of the films have chosen to do. A platform she uses to spread hate.

If you don’t give a shit, then at least have the courage to say so and don’t hide behind some “holier than thou” platitude “I’m the smartest, actually everything is shit and you’re foolish to care” Just don’t. Its mealy mouthed and dismissive.

Just have a little empathy for people who may actually affected by her actions.

13 Likes