Hogwarts Legacy |OT|

Im not a fan of Rowling, the book or the films and im not really interested in the game either. Obviously the JKR debate is dominating any conversation about any of the new media connected to her work and everyone wants to boycott it or raise awareness around it, and that is perfectly fine and understandable. All i was trying to say is where does it stop? People still love Tolkien or Roald Dahl even though their racist and anti semitic opinions and views are well known, does that mean we shouldn’t enjoy or watch Peter Jackson’s LotR? I don’t know the answer to that and that’s kind of my point, if you start to look at an artists body of work and them as a human being as being one and the same then lots of our most beloved artists are problematic and that’s putting it mildly.

Anyway, i know this subject means a lot to you and I’m not intentionally trying to belittle it or make light of it so I’ll bow out here. Love and respect.

1 Like

Have never seen a Harry Potter movie or read a single book but am somewhat interested in the game. Will wait until Thursday’s State of Play to see how the game as come along since it’s reveal 18 months ago. I’m expecting a September or November 2022 release.

1 Like

These two people are dead. They are not actively spewing bile which causes innocents to kill themselves and spending money on their creations does not make them richer. Because they’re dead. Your first post is something that’s seen a lot and basically boils down to “why bother”, which is probably why it wasn’t well-received. I hope this helps contextualize things for you since I believe you’re coming from a good place.

Incidentally, I’m waiting to see if this game does anything for me at all. I had a lot of affection for the series and on paper it seems like the type of game I’d really enjoy. If I do end up buying it, it’ll be second-hand, and I would donate the equivalent amount to Mermaids or the Trevor Project or something. It does of course suck for the devs, but I just can’t support this terrible person. Great OP @Doncabesa.

4 Likes

You think they would so close to Gotham knights? Then again Microsoft did last year with forza and halo

I wouldn’t be surprised. Hogwarts Legacy is going to do insane numbers no matter what. Gotham isn’t from Rocksteady and is more focused to be a co-op live service game. I’m all in for it since I can play everything solo but I don’t see it doing as well as the previous Arkham games with or without Hogwarts Legacy being released close to it. We should find out Thursday as im expecting a release date for it.

Is this a timed exclusive or something? Surprised sony are showcasing it so much

No, it is just called the good marketing campaign :stuck_out_tongue:

I think GK will go to Game Pass at launch

Nope marketing deal

It’s a marketing deal similar to what Xbox did with Far Cry 6 or BF2042 last year. Those games were almost always shown off on Xbox. The main difference is they don’t pretend like the Playstation version doesn’t exist when it comes to previews. I prefer the more honest approach than what Sony requires their partners to do.

8 Likes

Cyberpunk2077 too other examples as well it baffles me that people are fooled so easily by Sony’s deceptive marketing

1 Like

Remember deathloop? That and not being exclusive (probably part of the contract WB made with sony, they need to actively promote the game)

It definitely fits the Game Pass model since it’s co-op/live service and that would be great for me since im buying it day one but im definitely not thinking or expecting that it will but would love it if it does.

Sony doesn’t require them to pretend that other versions don’t exist. (Hogwarts Legacy literally tweeted right after the reveal and mentioned all platforms). However, Hogwarts Legacy was revealed at a PlayStation event and will get its own State of Play. They won’t show other versions at their own events like Xbox wouldn’t at their events (they only showed Xbox/PC for Battlefield 2042 at E3 event last year). Nor should these companies market other platforms on their own streams. I feel like this narrative only exist because Sony actually does events for their partnered games.

Scarlet Nexus is also another example, where Bandai even uploaded the video from the Xbox stream and it only shows Xbox platforms and the title also only says Xbox Series X. That’s just how these events are handled, it makes no sense to do it any other way. Sony (and even Nintendo) just have more events and partners than Xbox and so it seems like they’re the only ones that do it.

I don’t like this moral-high ground take that Xbox is more “honest” about it. They’re all the same, Xbox just doesn’t do as many streams for their partners and it’s forgotten when they do it.

4 Likes

Sony have been doing that for decades. But yeah RE village as well. Tried their hardest to let people know its only coming to ps even blocked a gamepass move within a year.

It must hurt them promoting deathloop and ghost wire though. Becauae they know those games will certainly hit xbox and on gamepass.

If ms hadnt acquired bethesda. Sony would have gone all out to secure more timed exclusives from them even the sequels. I doubt we would see ghostwire or deathloop at all on xbox.

But their own arrogance has come back to bite them. Those 2 major aquisitions has put sony in their place. Theyll still do what they do. But with more caution.

Scarlett nexus had shit ton of ps adverts in europe. And no xbox isnt the same. Ms arent going around doing 1 year timed deals. At best its 3 months or gamepass deal. Phil constantly comes out and praises other platforms.

Sony dont do anything.

PS adverts in Europe are cool, but when it was announced it was only shown on Xbox platforms and even on Bandai’s official YouTube channel it only showed Xbox platforms, and that’s how it should be… it was at an Xbox event.Timed exclusivity isn’t relevant to talking about how these games are marketed. Neither does what Phil says about other platforms. We’re talking about how companies frame games in their presentations to make them “seem” like exclusives. In that case, every company is the same because Xbox isn’t going to show PlayStation logos in their presentations, nor should they. There’s nothing more “honest” about Xbox when it comes to this and I feel like it muddles the waters when talking about the effectiveness of Xbox’s marketing prowess.

When was the last time xbox did an exclusive demo for a multiplat? Or its own gameplay event? Youre talking about trailers. I mean scarlett nexus had marketing rights but outside of a view videos here and there ms didnt do anything. Sony literally bent over backwards to try and make sure village got xclusive demos timed demos and even contractual agreements from stopping gamepass deals. Im willing to bet large sums of money sony attempted and offered capcom a lot of money for timed deal on the main game but capcom said no and met with a compromise.

Looking at sonys deals with deathloop ghostwire and supposedly attempting to get starfield its clear what they were doing.

I think this is the sort of HP game most people were craving for once open-world games exploded. Crazy that it took until 2022 to get a game in this vein.

Now I wait patiently for my LotR RPG that isn’t “Gollum.”

Scarlet Nexus had an exclusive demo for Xbox.

Why is this being spun as a bad thing? Xbox SHOULD give their partnered games their own events and highlight them as much as possible. It’s their fault that they don’t.

These kind of deals are common. Why would Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo or even Google Stadia spend tens of millions of dollars marketing a game just for it to go on a competitor’s game subscription service? Just change that sentence to Microsoft paid for Scarlet Nexus marketing and it just dropped in PS Now at launch or even just before it dropped on Game Pass, how would you feel?

Again timed exclusivity is not what we’re talking about.

However, I realize this is off-topic for this OT. So I won’t continue, but all the big three and even other smaller game companies have the same marketing deals. Some are just more effective than others with it, which is unfortunate. Nothing has really pointed to Xbox being more “honest” about their marketing deals except I guess them not doing events which no company should be showing other platform holders in their own events.

Quite so with regards to troublesome authors of the past, people like Dahl, Blyton, and Lovecraft for example are, as you say dead and no longer actively campaigning with the vigor and power that Rowling does.
Not only does the Wizard Woman have access to something so wide-reaching and ingrained in society as social media and more reach to more aspects of society, but she also uses it to directly harm so to invoke other writers as a cudgel to explain why people should “grow up and learn to ignore them” just feels intellectually dishonest.

For me, and on topic Harry Potter is very dear to many peoples hearts, people I knew grew up on it, people have told me how it helped them grow to understand themselves and to bond with others over a shared love of something, so it is not something I would browbeat people for wanting to experience in any medium. For me, I am happy to remove it from my life, but it was not so important to me as it was to others.

If people wish to play the game because it is what they “wanted” so long, then I would never dream of insisting otherwise, as Daniel Radcliffe has said

To all the people who now feel that their experience of the books has been tarnished or diminished, I am deeply sorry for the pain these comments have caused you. If you found anything in these stories that resonated with you and helped you at any time in your life – then that is between you and the book that you read, and it is sacred. And in my opinion, nobody can touch that. It means to you what it means to you and I hope that these comments will not taint that too much.

He is a smarter person than the Author, and his words are sincere. So if someone feels that the IP has resonated with them then that is their bond and their right to enjoy, not mine to dismiss.

In the same way Its nice for others not to dismiss those who feel compelled to make a stand with pithy one-liners.

A “win” for me would be for Harry Potter to make people think first and foremost “Trans rights are human rights” & " Don’t speak about trans children unless you’ve listened to them first" and that be the legacy of the IP, so I’ll try my best to do that.

2 Likes