Halo The Series |OT| Steven Spielberg's Magnum Opus [Spoilers]

I really like the show and know that I will continue to enjoy it going forward, but if John remains the video game version of the Master Chief permanently or for too much of Season Two then it will be lesser for it to me. I know that most folks feel the opposite so the backlash will be minimal.

5 Likes

Yes, I found it very funny that we got to see the version of Master Chief that the toxic Halo fans wanted. And it sucked, haha.

I think we get John back very soon in the next season, I have no doubts about it.

3 Likes

So i finished the show. Some thoughts.

• Decent first season. Definitely not perfect and a few episodes were just not good. But there is definitely a good show in here, they just need to tighten it up.

• I legitimately feel bad for the writers of this show and the cast. They are going to have to deal with the man-child Halo fanbase that is lead by the horrible Halo youtube community for this entire shows existence. I agree with what @PsyDec said. The complaints are mostly nonsense and they just want to see Master Chief run around saying one liners and jumping off cliffs and shooting aliens for 9 episodes. Sure it would be cool to see that but you can’t make a show based off of that.

• While I think most of the criticisms are annoying, I think there are some legitimate issues. The madrigal story line was a complete bust. Some of the characters motivations made no sense. I would like to see a little more action in Season 2. These can be fixed and Kiki Wolfkill did say they are listening to feedback.

• Overall, there is room to improve. But I think this season was a success and I am looking forward to what is next.

13 Likes

I think for Halo to evolve and become more than just John Halo does cool things, they are going to have to stray from the Bungie games and early books. This will probably piss off longtime fans, but honestly they are not worth catering to at this point because their incessant whining ruins everything.

14 Likes

hopefully our latest YHMAH is allowed back up by paramount soon, if not i"ll have to reupload an edited version

1 Like

I feel like most reasonable people realized this exact point right at the first episode lol.

2 Likes

I started watching the Halo series on Friday and finished it on Saturday night. I can’t believe how much hate material the series generated, even from the toxic haters. My suggestion to everyone is to not watch it at the pacing of one episode at a time with a week in between. Treat it like a slightly extended movie mini-series. Watch it all within a few days. It was quite an enjoyable series that established a base for the show to work off for future seasons. Are we better off having the show than not having it – absolutely. I’m looking forward to future entertainment from the series.

7 Likes

Since it’s a thing now to announce unsubs, I would just like to announce that I cancelled my Paramount+ subscription today.

It was very smooth, and I got to tell them my reasons, which was nice. Not having an app on Xbox here makes watching things too much of a hassle, they had some other stuff I would have checked out otherwise.

6 Likes

Did you tell them they didn’t have games you wanted on their service? That’s different from Netflix which has games I don’t want on their service

2 Likes

Maybe I should tweet about it…

2 Likes

I was about to cancel P+ as well but Sonic 2 just came out so I’m going to hang onto it for another month so that the nieces and nephew have something to watch when they come over.

Smart timing by Paramount. It seems a bit early to move it from theaters to digital streaming but having another video game IP hit the service after one ends, there’s some logic to it even though the targeted age demographic is different.

2 Likes

With people saying they are going to cancel their Paramount+ account, before you do, you might want to check out 1883. I thought it was good for a western show.

I do agree Patamount+ needs more, because it truly is barebones.

1 Like

I wouldn’t keep a subscription any longer than needed to Paramount+, but if you have it active you might as well check out these other shows too. Star Trek: Lower Decks, an animated comedy series. The Twilight Zone has some alright episodes here and there.

The show 1883 is an early early prequel to the western show Yellowstone. If you enjoy YellowStone you’ll probably enjoy 1883 too.

Its funny how the studio executives were so shortsighted and sold the exclusive streaming rights to YellowStone to a different streaming service, NBC Peacock. The deal was made in early 2020 where they should have had clauses that they’d retain availability to stream on their own service. Its not like the deal was back in 2013 when the writing wasnt obvious about streaming. In 2020 its safe to assume within a few years you’d have your own service of some sorts.

If you think Paramount+ is barebones, then you’ll be amazed at NBC’s Peacock service. I couldn’t even find two shows worth streaming during a free trial of their highest tier. Nearly all their material is their normal TV shows which I dont watch on TV or its the lowest quality BBC/European material they’re licensing hoping to expand their content offerings. Their only standout is the deal they made for Yellowstone.

1 Like

Great interview with Pablo Schreiber, Natascha McElhone and executive producer Kiki Wolfkill, coinciding with the UK premiere of the series.

4 Likes

I’m concerned that the show may be transformed into a lesser product by listening to fans of Halo: The Game.

4 Likes

I’m not too concerned, S1 wasn’t the greatest example of quality in my books. It’s only up from here. Just keep continuing on telling THEIR own story, you can take in feed back without doing a 180.

1 Like

Same here. I hope they double down against all the negatives. :rofl:

1 Like

It’s interesting that the writers are all new next season. I think in terms of acting, the technicals and especially the direction, the show is very strong. My issues largely came from some of the writing and creative choices.

I’m curious to see how they move forward. I think blindly following the games, while something I would love in a stuff popcorn down my face kinda way, is a bad call. However, I do think there are areas for improvement.

In terms of what I’d do personally:

• Increased focus on Silver Team. Kai is absolutely wonderful and a great character, easily the standout of the show. Riz and Vannak are both really promising but not given the TLC they deserve. As an aside, I am curious if they will be retconned into Blue Team, as the final episode certainly left the door open. I think that’d be a mistake, but at the end of the day, what matters are the characters.
  • Introduce additional characters from the story and games. Lets get Arby, Forhammer, Johnson.
  • More time with Chief in the suit and helmet. Whether taking the helmet off was a good choice or not, I think the calculus was still way off here. When Chief is in the middle of an active warzone, he probably should keep the helmet on.
  • Bring the Halo ring into play. It’s been teased, now it’s time to execute.
  • More plot interconnection. I’m not saying the galaxy needs to feel super small like modern Star Wars. However, Kwan and Soren’s story felt increasingly detached from the overall narrative, which made it hard to generate a ton of enthusiasm when it takes time away from the A and B plots.
  • Less nudity, lol. I don’t need John Halo Hanging Hog.
3 Likes