Halo The Series |OT| Steven Spielberg's Magnum Opus [Spoilers]

WOW

I legit teared up, THIS IS HALO.

The music, the action, story and everything in between in this episode was 10/10 they fucking nailed it and it kinda made me emotional as sad as that probably sounds.

Like I said this episode is a 10/10 for me and sets up the season 2 so damn well, what a final episode and now i’m kinda sad it’s finished for the season haha.

This last episode, the first episode and the 5th episode has made the show for me a 9/10. Yes there were some not as high moments but the moments that were high for me overshadow the dips a thousand percent. This last episode felt like I was watching the game in the best possible ways. I could easily see this as a mission one of the games and the goddamn soundtrack made me choke up a bit haha.

I know I sound a bit sappy but Halo has been a big part of my gaming life and it’s what really got me into Xbox so seeing it like this is so cool to me. It’s why it’s hard for me to see it get shit on all the time, while I’m loving it in all aspects.

Just to end, I am so happy this was a thing and you can obviously see they probably didn’t think the show would get a second season because the end episode was that good it could end it now and be done but I am so happy it got a season 2 and hopefully more to come. They should be reviewing all the feedback and know what works and what doesn’t with all the season down now, which is great. Episode 1, 5 and 9 were my highlights.

7 Likes

If John and Kai had a relationship instead of John and Makee, I bet no one would have batted an eye.

5 Likes

Wow. What an episode.

Easily my favourite of the series and makes me very excited for season 2, and of course sad that it’s going to take at least a year to release.

This episode basically had everything and kept me on my toes, even knowing so much about the lore etcc

The ending was really cool in multiple ways. Though I think I’m going to disagree with the more focused Halo audience with some of it.

I won’t go into too much detail yet, as I’m still thinking about it etc, but I think it was a fantastic way to both develop the chief more and give the show watchers a whole lot of video game chief fanservice. Very curious to see how they’ll handle this in season 2, and how long they’ll take to resolve it.

And @Daniel , nothing to feel embarrassed about man. There were moments in this episode that got me real emotional too, and overall it just gave me so much joy as I watched it.

Halo has been a part of my life for decades now, and while I probably shouldn’t give it so much importance, it’s been one of the few things I could count on to get me through many of the rougher parts of life.

Either way, a damn solid finale, and I’ll certainly be watching this episode at least a few more times. Really looking forward to talking about it on Friday!

6 Likes

Dude if I have to listen to one more Halo YouTuber complain that ‘Halo series thing x isn’t like Halo game thing x’ I’m going to have aneurysm.

Seriously it’s like they have ignored all the important plot points of the show just to make shit comparisons to the game.

Xperia: ‘Chief just did his own thing and acted so emotional!’

‘Kai ran away from the mission to chase Halsey for her own emotional mission’

BRO THEY REMOVED THEIR EMOTIONAL INHIBITORS HOW MANY TIMES WE GOING OVER THIS?

‘Why didn’t they just shoot the prophets?!?!?’

The UNSC doesn’t even know what a prophet is. Like god damn. This show is far from perfect but these are nonsensical rage bait criticisms.

9 Likes

Gotta put some spoiler tags on that for day of release, but yeah kinda stupid and just hate watching.

3 Likes

I’ve added in spoiler tags

3 Likes

Episode 9…was fucking…Awesome

• Vanneck and Rys finally join the cool kids and know the truth

• Miranda didn’t die! But Adun did…thank you, Kai!

• Speaing of which. Scene of the show: Kai sprinting at like 200mph and leaping on to Halsey’s ship. Fantastic

• Great action with the Covenant

• McKee died, but it felt like her purpose was served

• Cortana is awesome …don’t need to say much more than that

Look, I love the games. All the campaigns. The Stories. And yes this show has a very different storyline. But I’m cool with it, because it’s better than the game’s story. Sorry, not sorry. It is

Bring on season 2!!! And if we’re lucky, we’ve shed guys like Hidden Xperia, The Act Man, Angry Joe etc. Forever

7 Likes

Thanks Jesse and co. Sorry guys!

1 Like

Just going to copy and paste what I posted on Twitter with the appropriate spoiler tags because I don’t feel like typing it lol

Finished the finale and I’m torn. The action, depiction of Spartans, etc. was handled great. The actors continue to do a fantastic job.

However the Series concluded with a dull thud for me. The writers have fallen for so many tropes, it’s disappointing.

Warning spoilers ahead: There was also so much fluff with little to no pay off. They could have at least ended the season landing on Halo or Reach being attacked. Instead Chief has his Neo moment letting Cortana take over and do what he should have been able to do WITH her.

I went into this series completely open to the actor choices & the silver story line. What I didn’t expect is them throwing away so much of what makes the original universe great. Spartans shouldn’t need mods to suppress emotions, that discipline should have come from training.

Forcing an unnecessary sex scene and connection (?) interest wasn’t needed and reeks of writing by the numbers. Falling on erasing memories instead of going along with choosing kids because they are easier to indoctrinate was stupid and a tired approach.

Forcing so much time on these artifacts to only reveal a star map at the end of it all is so underwhelming. I also don’t understand 343i’s insistence on making Halsey into some evil mad scientist instead of purely being a human that’s calculated like she was originally.

They had a chance of creating a new storyline while capitalizing on the strengths of the Halo lore but instead it seems like they threw tropes at a wall in an attempt to see what sticks for the wider audience. It’s a classic example of missing the forest for the trees.

Instead of creating something appealing by leaning on what makes this universe great, they attempted to force used up tropes into a Halo theme. IIRC they said they wanted this to be their GoT & if so, they missed the mark big time. I’d give it a C and hope season 2 is better.

2 Likes

My ranking of the three main battle scenes throughout season 1:

1. Episode 5
  2. Episode 9
  3. Episode 1

The cgi was pretty rough in episode 1 in comparison to 5 & 9, although that makes sense for a pilot episode. Episode 5 beats episode 9 because the episode 5 battle had a super well executed story where I felt I knew exactly what the spartans were doing and why at all times. Episode 9 had the best one-liners.

3 Likes

This was awsome! What a finale. It got me excited and emotional, it even surprised me a couple of times.

• Silver Team! I really like these guys and it was very satisfying to see them as a unit again.

• Kai! Continues to be my favourite, she is so damn good. When Halsey’s ship went down my heart skipped a beat… Also extremely satisfying when she killed the weasel.

• Makee’s death actually surprised me. It was very fitting and she had served her purpose but I thought they might keep her around. Also, again Kai… quite lethal to be around.

• Cortana and Chief is getting better and better together.

• Miranda survived! She’s one tough scientist, cold af with Halsey.

• The Halsey clone had me fooled, I don’t know why I didn’t think of it but of course she won’t be defeated so easily.

• Can’t wait for the Prophets to be Kai’ed.

• Atriox is very cool, I hope he gets more time next season.

• Another great episode for Kwan-Meh.

This is the best episode yet, and a great ending to the season. I am really looking forward to Season 2! I’ll give the episode a 9.5 and the season an 8. I have a feeling next season will blow this one out of the water.

9 Likes

Fantastic final episode, watched the last three episodes today and the steep incline of quality was great to see. The season had some rocky moments particularly with the long Covid interruption but boy did they stick the landing.

There is not much I didn’t like about the last episode, when Silver team leaped out of the Pelican I almost stood up and cheered but settled for a chef kiss instead. The ending makes me crave season 2, it looks like the seasons arc will be the search for the Halo and I cannot wait.

6 Likes

good one good one

3 Likes

I absolutely loved that season finale, felt like I was in the game at some points which was awesome. I am so freaking hyped for Season 2! I will honestly just never understand that people can’t just enjoy entertainment in a cool science fiction universe with an IP that they have also enjoyed, rather than getting bogged down in the weeds. Life is just too short and full of plenty of bad things elsewhere for me not to just have fun with entertaining things like this, and that season finale was some high-quality great science fiction TV regardless of it being based on my favorite gaming IP Halo universe or not.

7 Likes
5 Likes

I really did enjoy this Halo series more than I expected, but that finale put my hype into overdrive for the next season. The wait will be rough, lol.

6 Likes

A very positive thread, surely we won’t have an entirely predictable split of mostly positive and one negative hosts on the panel tonight? :doge:

7 Likes

Good to see forum’s approach to series is much more milder than that biblical Halo nerds. Im a huge fan of the franchise too but people are crying over the tv series is unbearable. I know the show has its flaws, but I had fun watching it. Episode 9 was awesome combat wise, I had goosebumps, cant wait for season 2

8 Likes

I don’t know how to do a spoiler warning, so I won’t say much, but I definitely preferred the final episode over a few of them and I don’t know if this should be considered a spoiler or not, but hearing the Halo music during the one scene was phenomenal.

1 Like

Episode 9 felt the most like actual Halo and it could easily be a mission in the game.

3 Likes