Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

I’d actually be pretty happy if this happens long term, it’d be a setback for the near term. Microsoft has enough games to carry them without Halo though.

And surely they will (or already have) prototype it and wouldnt do it if it didn’t feel like Halo.

Gonna be real, I’m…not entirely happy with this.

As someone who was really a believer in the notion of a GaaS Halo title, I find it really disheartening that 343 are kinda just abandoning that, and going full speed ahead already on a new title in the series.

Between Joseph statton working on campaign, certain affinity working on BR, and presumably early work beginning on the multiplayer, I’d imagine this will effectively be Halo 7 in all but name. I can’t imagine how Halo Infinite would continue as a live service.

Even if we want to continue with the notion of “hey maybe it’s just campaign and tatanka” I think in the case of tatanka there is the question of how can you do cross progression and character customization between these two games. cross progression is probably duable, but you’d basically have to recreate all the spartan armor cores and customizations in UE.

I also feel like the move to unreal presents some rather interesting challenges in relation to traditional halo staples. If you move to unreal engine what does that mean for Forge? wouldn’t forge quite literally just be a unreal engine level editor?

A part of me still feels that, perhaps tatanka is disassociated from infinite, and is as a result an entirely separate live service with a separate battle pass, and would essentially serve as Halo Infinite’s Minecraft legends parallel, while campaign would get moved to unreal and usher in the era of there being a class of Halo titles where it’s just simple single player campaign content (maybe with multiplayer content made in slipspace for infinite themed around said campaign).

That’s the only realistic way I could see this working that doesn’t involve scrapping Infinite all together, otherwise it feels like the long term is Halo Infinite is getting scrapped.

Don’t see it happening lol.

Yeah, this is likely not happening as there will still be a lot of support (at least another 3-4 years) for Halo Infinite imo.

Firstly none of this unreal engine stuff is for sure.

Secondly even if it does happen and 343 drops slipspace It’s a minimum of 3 years away, possibly even up to 5 or 6 years. So let’s say it does happen. Still probably 5 more years of support for infinite. Then when BR does come with campaign in unreal engine I think they would frame it as infinite rebooted, or relaunched.

I highly doubt there will be two seperate free multiplayer games that both have active battle passes. If/when this does happen I think it’s all under one battlepass.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get so mad over rumors

7 Likes

It is a normal cycle. Meltdown over rumors → they are true / false → meltdown again.

1 Like
7 Likes

No matter how much I see of Forge, it never stops impressing me. I haven’t played around in Forge since Halo Reach and I can’t wait to dive into this. Crazy thing is this is just the beta version of Forge. I can’t even imagine how powerful it’s going to be a year from now. Amazing work by the team.

4 Likes

I am really not going to be popular with this take. However, here goes. I honestly believe the best thing to do for Halo as a franchise is to move most of the team over to build Halo 7 in Unreal Engine with apporpriate contractor support to get going on it.

Now it will likely take a little while to sketch out where the story is going and get the bones ironed out for what Halo 7 should be, so while they take the year or so to prep all those details, just finish up the campaign dlc and 2 multiplayer dlc’s. Once that is complete, switch the full teams minus a few project and community managers over to Halo 7. Outsource Halo infinite fully to contractors that are directed by the few project managers they leave on Halo Infinite. Make forge the centerpiece of Halo Infinite and shine bright lights on all the cool atuff the community makes.

I disagree with you. Hope 343 finds a way to make slipspace work. But I can see why a lot of people think the way you are.

Be careful with saying this opinion mate. People will descend on you like a hawk.

2 Likes

people really got bullied by the internet and rabid halo “fans” into wanting this engine switch.

8 Likes

This is pretty much a full on engine and all the related systems they are providing with Forge. Absolutely Crazy. Its similar to what we do in Unreal or the other game engines.

1 Like

LOL don’t expect the game engine switch. Game Engine switch is a very painful task and taking into consideration all the systems that are unique to each individual games. Unreal is great general engine but don’t expect it to work/perform in every scenarios.

Also I feel they might be using Unreal as a wrapper (as they are using for MCC) for the Slipspace game engine to speed up the art production aspect of the game. Not completely switch over.

The dynamic physics systems in Unreal Engine are not that powerful as say the Halo Engine of RAGE (Rockstar Game Engine)

Those considering game engine switch after release are pretty much signing a death wish for the development of the game.

3 Likes

Tim Sweeney and Co did an absolute fantastic job with marketing their engine. And the only thing they really did was port Fortnite :rofl:

3 Likes

This is precisely what I’ve been saying since this surfaced. Same with the rest. Needless to say, I completely agree.

Also, see this from the other thread:

3 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

As someone who have worked with different games engines, trust me each engine has their pros and cons. Unreal Engine is great because it very user friendly and available at free of cost to everyone. But once you get used to a new engine it can produce similar or better fidelity than Unreal Engine.

Engines like RAGE (Rockstar), Anvil (Ubisoft Assassins Creed Series), CryEngine or the latest Slipspace Engine are able to render massive draw distances with great performance whereas other engines struggle at it. The so called tiled resources of Unreal Engine 5 were in used since ages for the Assassing Creed Engine.

RAGE and Slipspace are some of the best when to comes to open world sandboxes and physics. Unreal is not that great at it.

I can name many features are at parity with or better than other engines.

People think that using Nanite assets (scanned assets) are how things are made for the games but in reality most of the stuff is made from ground up for each game. So when people see look how quickly people are cranking out good looking levels using the free assets they feel like its super easy to develop but in reality its a very long and tricky process even if you are using Unreal. There are so many small intricacies that goes into game development. If it was so easy to develop why would studios take so long to make games.

I would be really sad that everything and everyone started using the same Engine and games will start looking and feeling the same. Sometimes that uniqueness and innovation is what is required and which is promoted.

Personally I would love 343 to evolve the Slipspace Engine along using the talent at Bethesda. Once matured properly it will be producing mindblowing results.

7 Likes

Reminder, we’re live this Thursday with YHMAH!

1 Like