God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 confirmed as cross-gen, both coming in 2022

I’m kind of surprised that they don’t just go all-in and release PS4 versions of Demon’s Souls and Returnal.

But I guess it’s a pretty sound strategy to have a mix of cross-gen games available to everyone along with (smaller) next-gen only titles to encourage PS5 adoption.

2 Likes

They should have just said after the September showcase that their games would be cross-gen for a few years and that solves this problem since everyone would know.

5 Likes

Congrats Sony fans, you have been misled by Lying Ryan.

Don’t you know only Xbox Studios got affected by the pandemic according to many fans over here on this forum. And some were indirectly alleging that Xbox was lying about the effect COVID had on their production of the projects.

Maybe COVID problem affecting production is actually REAL.

Who would have thought?

10 Likes

Yeah, why the hell did they wait this long to announce this? The decision for GoW and GT wasn’t made just now, lmao, it was already made then. The reason is simple: they wanted to mislead the fans by wanting them to believe God of War and Gran Turismo 7 were true next-gen exclusives, raising the hype of the console just in time for pre-orders but popping the bubble later after the launch hype cycle.

3 Likes

People said cross gen holds back graphics and game potential, yet when people see stuff like Horizon they say it’s the best looking next gen game.

2 Likes

Yeah, true but at the same time, it’s stupid of them to lie because they don’t need to raise or create hype because it’s PlayStation…there’s always going to be hype.

They even had the balls to reveal Gran Turismo 7 as a “PS5 exclusive”. How is this not misleading advertisement?

11 Likes

I still have yet to see what exactly is next-gen about Forbidden West’s graphics. I don’t get it.

Edit: it doesn’t have better faces and human models than Death Stranding and it doesn’t have better environments than TLOU2.

3 Likes

Game looks great due to artwork and art direction, nothing more. There is literally nothing else there that makes it some untouched showpiece that defies being cross gen.

5 Likes

Remember all those “concern” articles from the press about xbox holding back next gen? Will we see those for sony?

5 Likes

Sorry I am in a trolling mood

11 Likes

Well those games still aren’t going to be on Xbox Series S, which as we know is the only console holding back next gen design. Not PS4. So it’s all good.

Also, it’s super cool that Dual Shock 4 still isn’t compatible with PS5. Because, ya know, all of these PS5 experiences that aren’t physically possible to play without a Dual Sense.

2 Likes

The belief that players sliding through cramped spaces is going to disappear thanks to the SSD is going to leave some people disappointed. Yes its there for loading the next area but its also a mainstay in the cinematic game trope rolodex. A lot of games are still going to use things like loading corridors and slow walking because they’re used for narrative exposition or character building.

5 Likes
16 Likes

Gullible fanboys will always be good for a laugh.

4 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Bit surprised about GT7 but I thought it was obvious GoW2 was going to be on PS4, and coming out, at the earliest, in 2022. No way that game was ever planned for 2021, just more marketing bs from Sony.

I still firmly believe all the “next-gen only” PS5 games could run on PS4, except maybe R&C (though I’m sure it could, but the portal animations would suck). Wouldn’t surprise me if Demon’s Souls came to Ps4 at some point actually. And to think Xbox got a ton of crap for being transparent.

Anyway, as a PS4 owner that makes me happy, I’ll get GoW2 next year. Not planning on getting a PS5 anytime soon, at the very least I’ll wait for the Ps5 slim.

5 Likes

Ultimately this is a good move for gamers and it’s smart for Sony. It’s everything else around this issue that’s pretty funny.

With over 120 million consoles sold, it made little business sense to not have crossgen. But very few people would listen to this logic and defend the idea of distinct generations. Getting large swaths of people to make irrational arguments is admittedly impressive. So that was pretty funny.

That said, I do agree that showcase nextgen only titles are absolutely necessary in convincing people that your new hardware is worth $500. As mentioned in this thread, Sony has a good balance of that with smaller titles picking up that workload. Ratchet and Clank coming out this month is also such a game. This is an ideal approach by Sony and I don’t see why they didn’t come out stating that they would do this. It’s the best approach and they didn’t need to be shy about it.

Bonkers situation.

2 Likes
1 Like