God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 confirmed as cross-gen, both coming in 2022

I know it probably reflects poorly on me, but I’m really enjoying this situation. I’ll be playing all of these games on the PS5 eventually and not the PS4 so it’s not a big deal to me, but seeing Sony actually taking flak for their blatantly misleading at best statements regarding their games has been refreshing.

I’ve been following the industry for 30+ years and ever since the PS1, Sony has been allowed to basically lie and deceive the hell out of the games media and their own consumers without anyone having the balls to call them out on it. Hopefully that starts to change. I’m not holding my breath for it though. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

14 Likes

nay they said they will support xbox one a year or so

basiclly when series x blades are in the cloud

1 Like
3 Likes

The only people who didn’t see this coming were fanboys mostly.

Sony was never going to ditch 116 million consoles with their biggest names.

Ratchet has never been a “big” franchise (despite being amazing games) and Returnal is a new IP

18 Likes

CompetentBareArabianwildcat-size_restricted

This is such an understated point. Sony knew (#SonyKnew lol) that all of these premiere titles would be cross-gen. They knew from the very conception of these games… when they were still on the drawing board.

The promise of a nextgen Spiderman, Horizon, Gran Turismo, God of War, etc. got people clamoring for a PS5. This false mirage was propagated by Sony at all levels.

If they had been clear from day one that all these games would be on the PS4, many people would have decided to hold off on the PS5.

There’s something underhanded about this. You could almost call it insidious as this narrative was built over months. They misdirected all of us. They knew the truth from the beginning and they concealed it. It’s not something that you somehow change your mind on, especially when you’re designing games on a unit that has purportedly has game-changing technologies that change how games are developed.

And yes I expect the gaming media to be feckless on reporting this.

5 Likes

People are weird

8 Likes

At X19 Fan Fest in November 2019 is where the “over the next year, two years” Microsoft quote comes from.

which ends next year I guess

No guessing. It would end this year. {{ barring extension due to Covid-19 }}

Can comeone check my basic math and ensure I have the right timeline?

• We’re in 2021.
  • November 2019 + 1 Year = November 2020. {{ Over the next year }}
  • November 2019 + 2 Years = November 2021. {{ Over the next two years }}
3 Likes

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

Sony flat out lying, I see. Wow.

They did have a few PS5 only games but now it seems many will be cross Gen moving forward for a good while.

Meanwhile Xbox will likelt be moving away completely first, I can see Avowed being Xbox Series only and I kinda expect Starfield too. Xbox can just say “we got Xcloud if you don’t want to buy a Series console.” for those with Xbox One.

I wouldn’t count on it. There are games that were aiming for 2022 that will be pushed to 2023 due to Covid and the usual reasons (First and third party) …just because they were delayed doesn’t necessarily mean the Xbox One version stopped working.

wow you don’t say…they should release DS Remake for PS4 or PC while at it, the game clearly didn’t sale well on one Platform there bigger market on PS4 and PC for this souls genre

c01

1 Like

Pretty sure you would have to start with the release of Xbox Series X which was released on November 10th, 2020 so it’s not even a year yet.

We’re talking about articles and quotes that are more than a year old. Then the Xbox Showcase happened last year:

As we all remember, most games were presented as Xbox Series exclusives. Microsoft also happened to purchase Bethesda after this.

2 Likes

Full statement is below, which does not use the console launch point as a reference but uses the implied current date [November 2019 X19 Fan Fest]:

As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices. We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

3 Likes

Okay but how could they say cross-gen when technically there’s no new console for the games to be cross-gen?

Okay. 2021 ending cross-gen games is great and better for me but I will believe it when I see it since I just don’t think it happens.

Oh, absolutely. I just wanted to set the actual implied anchor point. Of course between that time and now a Pandemic happened, so it is entirely possible it may be pushed out somewhat.

1 Like

No chance Horizon is coming this year