Geoff Keighley gives his thoughts on PS5 + XsX

I think Game Pass is a much bigger selling point than TV to be fair. The only thing is Power and Game Pass shouldn’t be its only one.

I have no fucking clue why they’ve released 4 great games over the past week but have nothing for launch except maybe Gears Tactics. I think betting the farm on Halo was a massive mistake and frankly 343 should never get that level of trust again. Hell, maybe they should have delayed Gears 5 a year and have it be THE reason to own a next gen system. I really do not get the endgame here.

Still, I think Keighley really shafted them in how they presented the games, and if they knew this, they may have planned accordingly. I genuinely hope the September event is good. I don’t need much. I enjoyed the hell out of the July event. I just need a reason to justify dropping a shitton of money at Launch, which so far neither has provided.

2 Likes

September is only for Xbox One S and maybe a price reveal. Don’t expect any new games.

In my humble opinion Xbox should Drop this Keighley guy. All of his shows has been a disaster in the way he has portrayed Xbox. Why give him fodder if its just going to be advertisements of the games and Game Pass. Most of the times this guys has downplayed whatever Xbox has provided. Even the first look of Series X and Hellblade 2 at Game Awards he intentionally downplayed and lowered the audience volume whereas you can see in reality people were cheering that announcement.

I still don’t understand why MS are acting goody two shoes to such people. Its almost like Keighley plays good with MS so that he can use the Microsoft theater for Game Awards. Sorry this comes of as a bit of a rant, but seriously they should find some other people to market their products who is actually interested in their ecosystem.

3 Likes

“Dropping Keighley” won’t change the fact that MS doesn’t have a game to show off their new consoles capabilities.

1 Like

It’s not even new games I’m after, just an idea of what they are launching with. If they launch with MSFS and Crossfire X I’ll be happy as a clam, or even a Halo flight, but so far as amazing as The Medium looks, I’ll just play it on my laptop if there’s little else and play the multiplats on my laptop/One.

That’s true but atleast it would minimize these frequent uninformed negative take, which cause more harm to the brand than not advertising at all. They should be careful whom they advertise their products with. Controlled marketing is very essential to preserve brand image then just letting it out in an environment where the people are downplaying or not interested in your products.

7 Likes

Are we really at the point where we are comparing Gamepass to their TV, push in 2013? Really?

And the funny thing about the whole “TV, TV, TV,” thing is they still showed off Quantum Break and Ryse. I am honestly surprised if MS has no big third party exclusive to show of the console in the pipeline, at least in the launch Window. Doesn’t seem like something they’d do at all but stranger things have happened.

4 Likes

MSFS launching with the Series X is highly unlikely. Or a Halo flight considering they planned to release the game this year without a flight despite the multiplayer being ahead on single player in terms of development.

343 really let them down, heh.

As well, maybe having Brian Fargo talk about WL3 or the team at World’s Edge AOE 3 could hype general audiences. Lord alone knows between the half recycled Ratchet demo, the continuous hyping of 45 seconds of Fall Guys or the 10 minute long WoW slideshow or the random influencers they had time to fill. Or fuck, even a “World Premiere” transition. These announcements were put in the fucking bathroom break section next to ads for Red Bull. Idk if that’s on Keighley or Gamescom or MS just didn’t pay enough but it was fucking stupid.

Sony gets 25 minutes as an unofficial partner plus tons of teases. Xbox got a fucking commercial slot.

1 Like

At this point if feels like resetera concern trolling level.

7 Likes

I kind of agree with Keighley. MS has nothing to actually show off the Series X in the near term, other than a spec sheet. Hopefully that will change with next-gen versions of Control and CP 2077 in 2021, but let’s face some facts. From the GC show stream we just saw the best game by FAR was R&C. Insomniac is a world class developer, so it isn’t too much of a surprise. But now it is starting to look like Sony is going to have Demon Souls, Miles Morales, R&C, and Horizon all in the first year. They also have showed more AAA gameplay than MS has to date. MS will have some third party games, Halo, and Pyschonauts 2. Maybe FS by then, though it will be interesting to see how that can transition off of PC, and if a console player-base are the right target for a flight simulator.

BTW, I am totally stoked for Psychonauts but that will be playable on PS5 as well via BC. As I said, MS has to get through next year, because they just aren’t remotely ready for true next-gen until 2022 at the earliest. I’m glad the BC is excellent on Series X, because it will probably be at LEAST 75% of what I can play. Sony is going to control the narrative until at least next E3, and possibly beyond if E3 doesn’t come back next year.

And I know Halo fans abound on this site, so I will simply say this. All the rumors of troubled development for the game must be true if you look at the “help” that is being brought in for 343. Maybe it can be salvaged, but I personally think 343 has wasted the potential of that franchise

Yeah, they did.

I agree completely. In fact Brian Fargo did a wonderful job explaining Wasteland 3. But that’s exactly the problem I am talking about with MS marketing. If they keep repeating these mistakes they are going to hurt their own brand image. That’s exactly they should avoid. Market with guys who are genuinely Xbox fans. or give it to Xbox centric youtubers for marketing their game. Just avoid people who don’t care about product

3 Likes

Easily PlayStation 5 will be the only console with features if Geoff is ignoring everything Xbox has.

Agreed. Alanah Pearce should host their next event. She’s incredibly likeable, popular, objective and could trump all of us in a round of Xbox trivia.

7 Likes

They also have used people from Outside Xbox in the X019 show. I’m still salty that Geoff K. hosted the Xbox show and invited a bunch of people with zero interest in Xbox.

10 Likes

As a Halo fan i remember how Halo 2’s development went ( Actually i don’t know if any Halo game had a 100% smooth dev cycle) and how it turned out in the end, so i don’t think i’ll write off Halo Infinite or 343i just yet.

1 Like

TV, TV, TV was horrible, but Game Pass has become something amazing, so I can’t ever see it like that. That being said, they DO count too much on Game Pass. Yes it’s a amazing service and they rightfully “brag” with it, but so far we don’t seem to be getting a really big launch game, a game that showcases the power (I guess for PS5 that’s Miles Morales) like Ryse was or FM5. I really did expect one at the July show.

Instead the XWP game is a smaller, narrative driven game, cool, but it’s a missed opportunity to not have tried getting a bigger one, for launch, on Game Pass. Some say MS doesn’t care if you buy XSX this year, yet they are very reluctant to announce price and release details, they do care. But they bank on GP and third party titles like AC Valhalla for XSX.

And yeah, they put it all on Halo Infinite and I guess Phil realized too late that this wasn’t going to happen and it was too late to get a bigger XWP game. Only guessing here.

I won’t either (so glad Staten is back) but I think this is the last time MS should bet on them to carry them. Thankfully, with all the new studios, they probably won’t have to again.

1 Like

Insiders have said too that PS5’s first year will be amazing and I bet they didn’t only mean the exclusives. Let’s not forget the rumors that Sony has been locking up big AAA timed exclusives from big publishers. This is something that is still a rumor, but I’m expecting it to be true.

So on top of Xbox probably not having a great 2021 (exclusives wise) they will likely miss out on some big third parties too. It’s no wonder that Sony will have a “amazing” first year that way, sigh. So I am hoping that Phil meant “big” games when he said they will continue to get third party games on Game Pass.