Geoff Keighley gives his thoughts on PS5 + XsX

Don’t think so that will be the case moving forward. This is old baggage that is being carried forward. And considering Halo is a 10 year project it won’t have to. Other franchises will be replacing it, which I think and believe they will be.

1 Like

Microsoft could put out the first ever 100/100 game on Metacritic and Geoff would still not be impressed. This has been one of the best years ever for Xbox Game Studios. 2 of the highest rated games come from them, and there’s been a nice stream of very well received games as well. If Halo Infinite would have launched on a great state, this would have been the best year ever for Xbox.

Comparing Gamepass to basic cable is ridiculous. Gamepass is more akin to Netflix, as for every okaish film (game example: Battletoad) they also have some good films (example: Tell Me Why) and some prestige content (example: Flight Sim, Ori)

Keighley is biased and always will be. The less we care about what platform he prefers, the better. Once Xbox hits a consistent streak of prestige games, comments like the ones he says are gonna age like milk.

9 Likes

Yeah I don’t know what planet I’m on when their 2013 somehow is analogous to Game Pass and the overall effect COVID had on their Series X plans. Taking COVID out of the equation, Game Pass is inarguably the best thing to happen to consumers, indies, and larger devs in over a decade; that’s not me being a fanboy or blind, it’s simple fact in an industry that constantly parades then ignores indies, and one that is ever-increasingly money-hungry, you have a subscription model that is extremely cost-friendly and helps developers. Simple facts and trying to say it’s somehow devaluing games or not a massive advantage in the content wars is disingenuous to a fault.

Edit: And to think that you have one of the big three giving out all of their titles on day one in GamePass like Xbox is, I’m sorry but I can’t help but think naysayers have an agenda.

5 Likes

That’s a fair point that they need first party studio to show what Series X is capable of. We most likely won’t see that for awhile since it seemed they banked on Halo being ready for launch, and then Forza for 2021.

Wait, the fuck?

He really did that? Because that’s just petty, nah, not even that, that’s just sad, I’m sorry. Why would he do that? It’s all gaming in the end, everyone that loves this industry should celebrate that.

5 Likes

I have no idea if it was on purpose or not but if you compare the very muted reaction to the series X/Hellblade reveal in the official stream to the cellphone captures of it ( i’ve seen about two of them) it’s like night and day. I was taken aback myself when i first saw it and thought "wow, i feel like the crowd should be a bit more hyped at a nextgen console and game reveal. Then i saw the amateur footage where the crowd erupts especially when Hellblade 2 is shown. Again not saying D-Pope did it purposely but it was a bit odd .

5 Likes

I really don’t see it. Even though some of their games still get some points knocked off they are hitting some nice scores overall. Compared to last couple years, save for gears 5 I’d say both quality and quantity has drastically improved.

4 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

I like Geoff. Don’t always agree with him, but over all I like the dude. I will say that it’s noticeable he doesn’t really feel xbox, which is fine, but given his position in the gaming industry I wish he’d be a little more neutral. I think xbox should go with Ryan McCaffrey for their next showcase. I love Ryan’s passion for xbox and the industry. And even though he’s a “xbox guy”, I feel he’s very respectful towards sony and nintendo and is not dismissive towards other platforms as Geoff can sometimes be.

4 Likes

Lots of there games do.

One could argue that flight sim is more “next gen” then anything else shown.

2 Likes

Honestly, I really hope they stop using Keighley for anything. I’m at the point where if he’s in it, I ain’t watching. So tired of the phoning in of lines mixed with badly hidden disinterest for everything Xbox with that man.

5 Likes

I’m ok with whatever his preferences are. What irks me as wrong is that for better or worst, he has some influence on this industry and is seem as an important figure. The fair thing would be to take a neutral position, yet, he make his bias way too on the nose. I’ve given the example before, but he never reacts on his social networks when Ninty or MS put out a great game. Sony tho? He goes banana even when one of their games is not that highly acclaimed, with comments glowing about basically nothing. Remember how he hyped the PS5 event like the second coming of Christ? He wasn’t even involved on the damn thing.

6 Likes

Yes what they showed in the official stream and what is seen and heard in the crowd footage is night and day.

4 Likes

Agreed 100%

2 Likes

To be fair GODFALL received very similar cheers in the official steam.

Unfortunately, we haven’t seen flight sim running on a series x

Just watched the video and don’t think he said anything unreasonable. Microsoft is going to need to come with the software if they want to change the perception. Even among folks here on this very forum.

Expect it to look an run like a PC footage with a RTX2080 considering the xsx’s GPU is very close to that GPU.

1 Like

I don’t think they should have delayed anything for the console launch, especially if it’s cross gen. Phil did say he wouldn’t delay anything to balloon up the launch lineup and I respect them for holding to that. I’m just surprised they didn’t plan to have something more than Halo at launch.

I also don’t agree that Keighley had anything to do with what was presented. If Xbox said they have an extended demo of Hellblade 2, Keighley would have been all over that. He can only work with all the companies on what they can provide and Sony came through much better here.

I don’t see what you were seeing. Keighley might prefer Playstation or he may not. He could prefer the types of games they make and nothing more. Whatever his preference is, he still worked with Phil and Xbox on presenting the reveal how they wanted, including a fake/altered rehearsal. Keighley was pretty pumped for the reveal as he talked up to it.

Keighley is great for the games industry, it’s clear he has a lot of passion for it. Xbox just needs to do a better job at participating in it.

1 Like

I think people need to accept that Microsoft bet everything on Halo and really has nothing to show, currently.