Geoff Keighley gives his thoughts on PS5 + XsX

Bingo!

And I “love” how clueless his is with his Netflix x Hollywood analogy exactly when a pandemic crisis has showed how the traditional Hollywood business model can turn to ruins and let them begging for financial help.

1 Like

Funniest thing is MS has some of the best looking games too with Forza Horizon and Flight Sim but that doesn’t count for some people because reasons.

3 Likes

Microsoft should continue to do what they are doing already. Differentiate themselves and play to their strengths. A lot of these journalists and personalities are trying to compare Microsoft to Sony. Microsoft should not emulate Sony. Go for the diversity that they are already putting out as witnessed by Ori, Gears Tactics, Grounded, Flight Simulator and soon Tell Me Why and Wasteland 3. Plus soon you will get the blockbusters in a year or so as well. Not everyone needs to do the third person cinematic action games. I would rather have a diverse lineup of games with different genres rather than a AAA tag. I love this new vision of MS though I do agree with the point that if they are talking about power, they should showcase it as well. Messaging is something that can be definitely improved upon at Xbox.

5 Likes

If it’s not a 3rd person cinematic walking sim it doesn’t count as a game apparently.

4 Likes

I think he’s entirely right here. MS hasn’t done a great job selling the Series X. You don’t invest countless millions in amazing hardware without being able to show it off.

3 Likes

Bang on!!!

Yeah, I think it’s borderline delusional to take anything Geoff says as objective, as his bias towards PlayStation has been abundantly clear for years now. I’m not going to argue something that has enough tweets and video examples to prove as such. He’s like many in the gaming media that like to beat a false narrative dead horse while conveniently ignoring the myriad of counterexamples to his narrative. Gears 5 alone is one of the biggest budget titles out there, did extremely well, and pushed a number of its genre boundaries but because it doesn’t fit Geoff’s (and most online commentators) narrow definition of AAA “quality” titles, it’s ignored. Same with Flight Sim or Ori, etc.

It’s frustrating that the guy has as much of a platform, but my disdain was cemented by his XGS pre-show where there was nary a single well-informed commentator on there. For example, I wouldn’t ask someone to review Halo who hates FPS titles… that’s asinine.

2 Likes

He’s not right though, Sony released a number of -80 titles that so many people conveniently ignore for their arguments but Microsoft has released four titles this month between a 75-95 delta. Fanboys will try and say 70 isn’t good, but by definition it still is very much so and the fact that one of the highest rated titles of this generation was released by XGS is another counter argument to that false narrative.

2 Likes

At the end of the day I think 3rd party games will also show what the next gen boxes are capable of and they will all look better on Series X, first party or not doesn’t matter at the end of the day as much as some make it out to be. Word of mouth will be that COD, Watch Dogs, AssCreed, Madden, etc look and play better on Series X.

2 Likes

Fair assessment imo

You can clearly see that shift in Xbox’s strategy with the type of games XGP publishes these days

They still have AAA blockbusters in the works like Halo Infinite, Fable, Avowed, etc. but they are actively seeking out cheaper content for Game Pass as well

To be honest I feel like both Sony and Microsoft haven’t done much to sell what next gen is. However I do feel both Sony and Microsoft did a decent job showing how SSD improves gameplay when we seen what Ratchet, and The medium was capable of

2 Likes

RIP DangoBango Another concern troll bites the dust

He’s got some good points!!!

But come on guys Geoff Keighley is a bit of a plonker!!

2 Likes

And how does that strategy differ to Playstations?

They are both doing the same, Spiderman:mm is like a AA.5 game, returnal , sackboy:a big adventure and several other indie games.

1 Like

Yeah that is about 20 yrs out of date. I don’t think almost anyone sees that as the current paradigm anymore. Very weird comparison.

1 Like

Avowed, Everwild, Fable are all AAA games, just early in development and we didn’t see much of these yet. They are likely still several years away from release.

InXile and The Initiative will have AAA games as well, but probably even farther away than the above games. Geoff knows this as well. On one hand it worries me that he’s saying this because he knows his stuff, he doesn’t just talk nonsense. So does he know more of the games the other Xbox studios are working on and compares that to the unannounced PS5 games?

Why does he say quantity over AAA when Xbox WILL have at least 5 AAA games in a few years? I need more clarity on that, I don’t get it.

I guess he could mean Xbox isn’t really pursuing AAA third party games for GP? Not sure, but that would be a mistake for sure. Phil did say they will continue to get third party games, question is…bigger games or mostly smaller?

That’s Bloober showing off the SSD and arguably one of the better showcases for the Series X in general. However what has Xbox shown? I know some would say Forza or Halo but nope. Neither is confirmed to be running on actual hardware and one wasn’t the most impressive while the other was a short, pointless clip.

The Opening Night Live show is another perfect example to how Microsoft is coming up very short. Their contribution to the show was a damn Game Pass commercial while Sony is providing an extended look at Ratchet and Clank as the show closer. Their approaches are worlds apart and Microsoft really needs to step up.

1 Like

I can’t disagree with this. Xbox had pretty much nothing here, it’s a shame.

In terms of console, its power, they are in a fantastic position compared to 2013 but in terms of launch exclusives? It’s just bad, really bad. In 2013 we had Ryse, Forza and DR3, XSX has The Medium and this dev is hit or miss, hopefully the game is great.

I’m guessing XGS really just are not in a position to show gameplay of any of their games in development right now. So what could Xbox have really shown today?

1 Like

That doesn’t count though. “Reasons”

The whole “Quantity over Quality” argument some attempt to use to downplay Gamepass is quickly debunked with one look at the actual games line up in the service now, and will look even sillier once the Halo, Fable, Forza, Avowed, Perfect Dark (?) etc starts hitting the service. But narratives must be maintained.

4 Likes

I’m not even wishing they were showing a launch window game because we know they don’t have anything within the launch window. It would be nice if they had a 2021 game to show off.

The fact that they have nothing to show only tells me they have been falling short of planning for this launch for a long while now. They knew the console was launching this year and they thought riding entirely on a game with a rocky development is a good idea? Where are the Xbox World publishing games to make up for the lack of 1st party games? Studios have had years to plan something for this year and they have almost nothing to show or get people to pay attention outside of Game Pass, Game Pass, Game Pass! /s

Replace TV, TV, TV with Game Pass and it’s almost like they have learned nothing with launching a new console.

1 Like