Games Media is getting hands on access with the Xbox Series X

Did you mean the Series S in your first sentence? Either way I agree, and with the leak of those three PS5 dev profiles last week, I think John at DF is going to be in for a rude awakening when it comes to real-world application of PS5 hardware.

No, I meant Series X. At times, they seem to underplay what Series X is and once they realize what the console is truly capable of, then I think they’ll realize what Series S can do because of it. I’m really looking forward to the head to head comparisons between Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

I like John but he’s at times too favored towards Sony. I don’t care what anyone’s preferred platform is. I just want them to be honest and if PlayStation 5 for example is really “RDNA 1.5”, then I hope they can admit it without sugarcoating it. As well as knowing the features that are missing from the PlayStation 5 because of it.

If it’s all true of course. I have been following Digital Foundry since the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 days and just want them to be as open, up front, honest and transparent as possible. Basically, put their personal preferences aside and just let us all know everything about all three (Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and PlayStation 5) consoles.

4 Likes

I think John is very honest and professional when it comes to the digital foundry videos. :slight_smile:

On twitter he definitely has a preference to Sony, but that’s okay, it’s like how us here have our preference towards xbox (or just enjoy everything)

7 Likes

All true. The only difference is that we’re not DF where if they ever become dishonest, they will lose all credibility.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone from Digital Foundry has any preferences for a company. John prefers old style console model with physical discs and owning your games. Which I guess puts him closer to Sony vision than MS. However, he’s always honest and fair.

Also this whole RDNA 1.5 - PS5 smartshift stuff seems to be a few Xbox fanboys inventing stuff and you seem to have fallen for it. There is absolutely nothing to substantiate this. RDNA versions are defined by the features there is no doubt the PS5 is based on RDNA 2 seeing as AMD themselves have said this.

3 Likes

Digital Foundry honestly are amazing, and I really appreciate all the work they all put into making great content :slight_smile:

Especially DF Retro!

4 Likes

Post any confirmation of the PS5 having mesh shaders or VRS, RDNA2 features.

1 Like

These are standard RDNA2 features. Why would Sony need or want to confirm them? Sony not taking about hardware is because they have a weaker system. But the conspiracy stuff is just nuts. Do you think if Sony was missing major features that mattered to devs we’d not have heard about it from devs? Honestly?

4 Likes

Does anyone have any idea when we will start to see previews? Definitely looking forward to seeing these boxes in action especially as Microsoft hasn’t been that forthcoming with gameplay.

This is way off topic so I’m going to put this into a summary so this thread isn’t derailed…

Summary

but their Geometry Engine is very much like the DX12U mesh shader capability.

VRS is something outside the scope of RDNA2 IIRC as it’s just a DX12U feature and the XS consoles have dedicated hardware to do it.

It appears that there is no support for INT4 or INT8 math and that’s a hint that it’s different from the Series RDNA2. In Cerny’s “Road to PS5” talk he clearly called it an “RDNA2-based” GPU.

Whatever the case, DF is more focused on the end result. The fact is that the PS5 has shown itself to be very capable and competent while the XS consoles haven’t had a showcase that compares, largely because the design was apparently finished later and Devs didn’t have a lot of time with it. Just look at how far Assassin’s Creed has come, from running at 30fps in a demo to now apparently running at 60.

Yeah - that screams some xbox fanboy has created a profile. Its complete nonsense, you only need read it to know that.

Who? How so?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ilmal3?lang=en

He answered to Gavin Stevens https://mobile.twitter.com/Gavavva

1 Like

We wouldn’t hear about it because NDA’s. And yeah, mesh shaders and VRS are something Cerny would talk about at the GDC presentation that was meant for devs. But he didn’t. There’s a reason why MS constantly mentions the Series S/X has mesh shaders, VRS, etc.

And once again, no dev has confirmed they have mesh shaders or VRS either.

1 Like

The geometry engine uses primitive shaders, this is not the same thing as mesh shading. Also, doesn’t matter if vrs is a DX12U feature, Sony could easily incorporate VRS in whatever API used by the PS5 as well as the hardware. But they haven’t mentioned it all. The point I’m making is, that I don’t care what they call it, if they’re missing those two features it’s a fumble.

And running last gen games at 4k/60 that most certainly don’t use these performance saving features doesn’t mean anything.

1 Like

I just don’t buy that he’s a principal graphics engineer for PS5 or whatever he claims…but anyway we’ll see what happens when we see more gameplay.

His LinkedIn checks out. As in he has a LinkedIn where his skills and jobs have been endorsed by colleagues in the industry. Hilarious that you don’t believe him.

4 Likes

So no arguments then. Ok fine. Believe what you want. Proofs are here.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/🐱‍💻-rosario-leonardi-ab10046

https://mobile.twitter.com/ilMal3/status/1284542398954176515

He indirectly confirmed the private message without denying what he wrote about PS5

1 Like

Isn’t it? Lol

Digital Foundry face off soon

giphy (3)

I agree. There’s a reason why I only follow them for over a decade…it’s because they’re the best and I hope they continue to stay that way.

1 Like