Games Media is getting hands on access with the Xbox Series X

Hey, perhaps he’s legit - its just odd is all. Maybe just a language thing - but usually if there is inside stuff, genuine stuff, leaking you see a lot of devs piling in to comment - 2013 for example there were whole streams of devs on twitter talking about XB1 dev issues - some in code…I’ve not seen that for either console this time round.

I do look forward to the comparison threads but I rather fear you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Yes SX will be superior but I doubt the PS5 has huge issues, I really do, because if it did we’d have heard more of it by now. Digital foundry for example have said how much devs like it - I trust DF.

Fair enough I understand your reasoning no offense to you but never said I expect some huge catastroph from PS5 but when both will be compared we’ll see the clear differences.

1 Like

Think we will get any previews today?

Tomorrow most likely I would think.

Yep. And we’ve pretty much seen it all too. Except for the games really. I don’t get why we haven’t seen a deep dive of the UI of PS5 yet for example.

I missed this. What profiles?

There were three different profiles on PS5 regarding the speed of the CPU/GPU combinations. There was a tweet about it but I believe that it’s been deleted.

2 Likes

Was the tweet from anyone credible?

Plus is there a picture?

There was a picture. Forgot who posted it on Twitter. I’m sure it’s in the Xbox/PS5 topic. Maybe. I know others have posted it here but I can’t find it.

EiKXLCQXYAASwqP

Writer from here XBOXERA

Devs like working on PS4 more than X1, doesn’t make it a more powerful machine lol.

1 Like

Sorry but I’ve no idea what this means exactly?

Same I also have no clue what any of this means, can someone with knowledge inform me and Staffy please :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you want to push resolution and fancy graphics/visual effects, you’ll need to lower the CPU speeds (cpu handles things like AI, game objects, framerate). Alternately, if you want to have more game logic calculations, you’ll have to lower the resolution and push less effects.

I’m sure someone with a much better grasp of all this will correct me, but this is my layman’s interpretation. :smile:

Also, I’d be surprised if this were true. You would think devs would have greater control of the frequencies to really get the most of what they need. If this info is true, it’s probably just a “pre set” you can use or it could simply be related to BC titles. Who knows.

2 Likes

I’m a software engineer so I can break it down simply as possible. Basically, at the best case scenario for the GPU (middle profile in the list), the CPU is going to be running at its base clock, 2.0GHz. So for framerates and general tasks that are CPU-bound, we’re going to be seeing some potentially sub-par performance that really highlights the differences between the Series X (and even the Series S for CPU). Conversely, in order to run the CPU at its highest boost speed (the bottom in the list), the GPU will have to be massively underclocked, which will effectively give it a rating of ~5-6 TFLOPs, so all those GPU-bound tasks will suffer, as will the resolution bottom out for titles using dynamic resolution scaling.

As many of us techies have assumed, the numbers Sony has been touting for their boosted scenario aren’t close to the real story. It’s not possible to boost both CPU and GPU simultaneously, which is their marketing ploy, given that it’s using AMD’s SmartShift and simply put, you can’t create more heat than the box can sustain (simultaneously you can’t pull more wattage from an already limited power supply if the other component is already boosted).

Sorry, in the middle of a break so I just had a few but can elaborate more later, if necessary.

7 Likes

Wow IF this is true, that sounds really bad…

I totally agree. I really like DF mostly because of Richard and Alex personally, John is showing his bias (or preference if you like) much more than the other guys…just look at how he reacted when Halo Infinite was shown (cross-gen/Jaguar is the devil) and how he reacted when Horizon 2 was revealed to be cross-gen…the contrast between the two reactions was quite surprising to say the least. Don’t get me wrong, we all have our preferences and that is totally OK but for example Alex who is clearly a PC gamer never lets his preference get in the way of discussing tech. He and Richard always sound genuinely excited about impressive tech regardless of platform, I can’t say the same thing about John.

For a guy that always discusses how awesome 60hz is and how more games should target higher frame-rates at every opportunity his Gears 5 and DOOM Eternal videos were quite lukewarm I should say considering what those teams achieved on a freakin’ Jaguar CPU. He even did similar comments about the “static” environments of Gears 5 like that crappy cherry picked video from Crowbcat that compared Gears 2 to Gears 5…yeah with what The Coalition achieved visual and performance wise on Gears 5 that was the last thing that I expected to see from a DF video.

Anyway enough with the off-topic, can’t wait to see the previews especially from Richard.

1 Like

Not sure on the validity of the claim, but in terms of the limitations of using boost speeds/SmartShift, those are absolutely valid. The moment Cerny said that both will be operating at the quoted boost number the majority of the time, I tuned out anything after that point because he had already convinced me that he was full of shit; any scenario where you have minimal leeway on TDP, you’re not going to be able to run boost for long and even more so, you cannot run both simultaneously unless they decided to put in 500w PSU with a massive liquid cooler (neither of which we have any evidence to suggest as their path).

1 Like

Oh definitely. The logic is there, I’m just not sure that Sony would give devs only three options. But again, I’m not an expert in how these things are done.

1 Like

Completely agreed. I love Alex, Thomas, and Richard from DF but John has been very vocal in the social media space about his bias, and frankly something I would consider a disqualification for that type of position. As you said, much like the overall anti-Xbox media bias, we have numerous occasions where he derides Xbox titles for no reason, then doesn’t apply the same to Sony titles when the same is exhibited and vice versa.

I haven’t seen any evidence from Sony, or AMD for that matter in their bevy of RDNA2 materials and press releases, that suggest PS5 is running full-fat RDNA2.0. If that’s determined to be the case after release, I think John and a whole slew of other media reps have some explaining/apologizing to do.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I understand it much better now.

If that stuff is true that’s not a good look for Sony, especially since they haven’t been honest about it then. But it’s strange, didn’t DF hear nothing but praise from many developers?