Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

@ElPutoXD I found an old version of your list, you have to update with Hitman III and Control RTX, but it seem mostly in tact.

I did:

Next-gen optimized games or games with next-gen SKUs:

Series X > PS5: Watch Dogs Legion, Destiny 2 (maintains a higher resolution, better antialiasing, higher minimum frame rate), Mortal Kombat 11, DiRT 5 (with the new patch), DMC V (3/4 modes), Black Ops Cold War (2/3 modes), Borderlands 3 (all modes the same except for the 120 FPS one, where the X outperforms, PS5 has better foliage and shadows because of the PS4 Pro legacy, Series X has One S assets because it wasn’t One X enhanced), Fortnite (holds better frame rate), Hitman 3 (added just now).

PS5 > Series X: AC Valhalla, Immortals: Fenyx Rising, DMC V (1/4 modes), Black Ops Cold War (1/3 modes).

No noticeable difference: For Honor.

All games have shorter loading times on the Series X except for Borderlands 3.

Let’s see where Control, Hitman 3, Godfall and Yakuza 7 land, but Mortal Kombat 11’s recently released next-gen SKU is performing better on Series X than on PS5. The situation for the X has improved a ton compared to November already.

I posted this a few days ago.

1 Like

Nah, even One X almost locks this game to 4k60, so the port is optimized.

There is just one issue on a particular scenario that affects all xbox versions due the shared codebase. Hopefully now that it was pointed out the developers can patch.

1 Like

Just watched the DF analysis on the NFS Hot Pursuit Remaster update. Whilst I think its great that they flag issues. I did think it a little strange that they spent so long on this one track area frame bug, but then with the excellent Auto HDR, its quickly skimmed over. Weird.

Does it really matter? It’s an upcapped FPS of a remaster of Xbox 360 game. It was never an issue until DF pointed it out.

Everyone is already arguing about this game, but already forgetting the great strides already made.

DF is starving for new content since new releases started drying up.

I don’t think the power difference is ever going to show consistently.

I think each will come out on top through the gen.

It’s taught me a lesson, anyway. It’s not just the power on paper that counts. All that pre console hype was for not much.

We’re less than 4 months into the new generation. Give it time. We still have 80 months to go.

3 Likes

Also apparently this bug was present in the Xbox One version of the game.

1 Like

One thing that is overlooked is the VRR support on SX that ps5 currently lacks, which if your display supports, would turn the table on some games that would be a win for ps5 without it.

That’s certainly true. I was playing ACV a while ago without VRR enabled and it was not good. Maybe it has been fixed by now, but come on, it should be smooth whether VRR is enabled or not. Same with Outriders, sure it’s a demo, but VRR should not be a necessity but it sounds like it is if you have the feature on your TV. But those without it have a version that performs slightly under PS5, but it shouldn’t be the case.

It shouldn’t be needed I agree, but for example, outside of Ms games this previous generation almost no developer delivered a locked or near locked 60fps experience. And while the consoles having a good cpu this time around makes it easier, they are still not perfect as we are seeing.

And it’s not just a case of being worse on SX either, with the latest patches Valhalla has a more consistent framerate on SX for example and still benefits greatly from VRR. Or in the case of Outriders even. SX is delivering a 20-40% higher resolution, with higher settings, and the fps error is marginal (it’s a bit better on ps5 but way less pronounced than the resolution delta). So with VRR Xbox has the best of both worlds (and even in the fps area becomes perceiveable smoother than ps5).

But in general, it’s a feature that basically solves the framerate issues, that right now only Xbox supports (and in fact the reason those features even exist in hdmi 2.1 was due a push from Xbox) that they are not getting enough credit or even being acknowledged in some tech comparisons.

2 Likes

Holy fuck, EA lol

Very true and it’s amazing how little this is mentioned on DF

I’m seeing some say the last Control patch has fixed the brief hitching issues on SeriesX. If so, thats one less thing to worry about.

4 Likes

It was on the patch notes, good to see it’s indeed fixed.

Yeah, Control absolutely goes to the Series X > PS5 group.

Slow your roll. Let’s wait for confirmation.

Digital Foundry’s video was enough confirmation, no?

Hey man, it’s your list, I was talking about confirmation on the Microstutters being fixed.

Because if they are fixed, I’m buying it this weekend.

1 Like

Link to notes please.

Oh, okay, I was saying that Control should go to the Series X > PS5 list, not about whether that’s been fixed.