Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

The situation changes up for next-gen: PS5 runs the resolution mode at a 1440p, while Series X delivers it at 4K even though both are touted as offering up ultra HD support. Both are equipped with dynamic resolution scaling support but spend most of the time at these top-end limits. The actual visual make-up of the two seems identical by and large - though Series X’s hardware-enforced 16x anisotropic filtering isn’t matched on the Sony machine. Curiously, Series S only has a single mode, and it runs at 1440p30 just like PS5’s resolution mode, putting the pixel count limit on the Sony console into perspective.

1 Like

TeraFlops baby😎

Series S and PS5 are at same dynamic resolution :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Am I missing something or is the Series S version running at the same resolution as the PS5 version on Graphics Mode?

Yeah, Series S runs at 30FPS in 1440p, the same as PS5’s Resolution Mode.

Series X’ Performance Mode runs at 60 FPS in 1440p, a resolution in which PS5 runs at 30 FPS.

That’s wild!

4 Likes

It is. It’s covered more readily in the written article. It seems like the toolset limitations, like the Sony 4Pro-mode doesn’t offer much flexibility where as the Microsoft Xbox Future Compatibility does.

“The notion that Series S’ default mode matches PS5’s resolution mode in image quality is also baffling: there’s just the sense that Microsoft’s cross-generation SDK tools offer up more options to developers and that it isn’t a reflection on system capabilities.”

4 Likes

Wash? Isn’t that a win?

The thing is, isn’t nvidia’s RTX like a blackbox on PC, making it hard to optimize for it while that isn’t the case for consoles (and there therefore AMD’s graphics cards)? This could cause some serious uplift in ray tracing performance in the future.

Not sure tbh. Maybe?

Sounds like The Division 2 also got a PS5 fix! Good on Ubi. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As expected, the bug was only related to the fog and SSR. Resolution and Loading Times stay the same

6 Likes

Avengers is 4k native 60 fps on series X

Checkerboarded 4k 60 fps on PS5

4 Likes

Series X really starting to turn around the launch narrative

3 Likes

Isn’t this just down to BC limitations on PS5?

1 Like

I think so not.

Series S runs at dynamic 1440p whereas Xbox one s only at 1080p. This means, if devs wanted they could have increased the resolution limits on PS5 as well.

1 Like

Cool, now I have to add Avengers and Breakpoint to the list of Series X > PS5.

Problem is I lost the list :cry: I’ll try to find it

Okay, now this is starting to feel like the One X and the PS4 Pro again where the X reaches native 4K and the PlayStation only reaches around 1800p or lower and uses checkerboarding to reach 2160p. We’ve seen the same with Hitman 3 and Breakpoint.

4 Likes

Breakpoint isnt really a good example.

This seems like a good point. Nice catch!

Yeah but isn’t the point that they can easily change res and FPS on Xbox but it’s a lot more work on PS5? We’ve seen this across a lot of titles. Xbox gets up res yet PS5 doesn’t and devs explain it’s how the BC updates are dealt with on each console.

1 Like

Mot likely, but not absolutely certain yet, that the limitations come down to these titles running under BC conditions of the 4Pro including its limited memory footprint.

Where as on the Xbox tools side under the enhanced crossgen titles the devs have ability to know exactly what sort of system they’re running on as well as access to the different memory footprints.

Ability to use 8 GB on Series S , 13.5 GB on Series X, or even 9 GB on OneX for games versus only 5.5 GB on 4Pro and PS5 running in 4Pro mode may be the difference.

1 Like

PS4 pro never had a 60 fps mode.

Clearly, devs can update game to push 60 here. So i don’t think devs have a limitation here to upgrade resolution.

They literally have a new performance mode for the game. What’s stoping them from increasing the resolution to 4k in this sense.

Also, take a look at division 2.

Pushing 60 instead of 30 is limited by performance and not memory. Where as resolution with higher quality textures would be impacted by available memory.