Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Iirc the first big titles for UE4 arrived in 2016 (and this was without a global pandemic), so this just takes some time :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

A nice comparison between the OG RE4 and the remake. There is some coverage of platform differences but the real comparison is coming in another video later today. Having played some of the original again earlier this week, I really think the changes for the Remake are a huge improvement, especially for the pacing.

2 Likes

The demo clearly was in Xboxā€™s favor, and my guess is it still is in full version too.

Pardon my French but itā€™s such a fucking shame how games nowadays can still have such bad HDR implementations. Diablo 4 is really bad with that. Areas that should look inky black are just dark grey. I noticed it immediately in the intro video, cutscenes and during gameplay. It makes dungeons look washed out, overall just washed out.

Watched a clip of the game in SDR and they compared it to HDR and itā€™s a world of difference. Sigh. Itā€™s a beta, I know, things can change but Iā€™m not holding my breath with these things.

4 Likes

Thank you! HDR/Dolby Vision isnā€™t new anymore and itā€™s frustrating to see big-budget titles (RDR2, Valhalla, Diablo IV, etc.) not color grade their titles properly to HDR standards. Itā€™s been frustrating having OLED panels not get a chance to properly shine on some of these games because of the raised black levels, lack of actual dynamic range, etc.

Itā€™s to the point that Iā€™ve submitted a feature request to some of the folks I know over at Xbox to add per-title HDR switches.

5 Likes

Not necessarily but I rarely think that should be the focus.

Xbox still looks cleaner but plays worse due to the PS5 performing slightly better and not having the same deadzone/acceleration issues.

2 Likes

AutoHDR needs to become the standard on Xbox and PC. Maybe this will force Sony and eventually Nintendo to come up with their own solutions.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, Valhalla was horrible, SDR was how it should have looked in HDR too, a real shame. RDR2 looks better than at launch, but it still isnā€™t ideal. But some of the effects you get thanks to HDR are amazing, imagine if the black levels had been on point too, damn.

Thatā€™s a very good request you submitted to Xbox, itā€™s been a feature Iā€™ve been hoping for ever since XSX came out. So very few games have the option, but most recently Wo Long has it. But for me it doesnā€™t work as intended. When I start the game my TV recognises it as a HDR game, even though itā€™s disabled in the game.

Whatā€™s more is that if I enable HDR in the game and then disable it, it still looks off, this isnā€™t proper SDR. Not sure why. Maybe because my TV is still ā€œstuckā€ in HDR while the game isnā€™t?

Interesting, so thatā€™s different from the demo then, right? I thought it was concluded both performance and visuals was better on X. Yeah I donā€™t get the deadzone issues, why is this? Village demo had this too. Never bought the full game though.

This SO freaking much. Played a ton of BC games using auto HDR and itā€™s fantastic. Proper black levels, awesome, bright special effects. The LEGO games for example really shine with it.

I have a tv that really shines with great HDR, so itā€™s awesome to see many games with good implementations, but boy there are still too many with no so great HDR. I hope so, so much that the HDR in Starfield is going to be proper. It can add so much in such a game. But we donā€™t have many examples by BGS of HDR, do we?

1 Like

Based on anelistabits video of the demo, it looked to me that the PS5 version ran slightly better. It was pretty clear that the DF video on the demo was more of an early look, so i donā€™t think anything conclusive was determined there.

Itā€™s not something to be concerned with Iā€™ve recorded and ran hours of footage through frame rate analysis tools and it runs great in performance mode with hair strands and RT Off. Only when you go to resolution mode and/or enable hair strands or RT, do you start to see dips. Outside of one specific area, Iā€™d be surprised if you noticed the drops as long as you kept the effects off in performance mode. Thereā€™s also the chance that the day one patch could have improved things. The last time I was testing the game, the patch was still not applied.

Canā€™t say for sure on why the Xbox version suffers from deadzone issues. Could just be down to having less play testing on that platform.

Was hoping to have a video going over the Xbox versions out this weekend but a close friend had a death in the family a couple days ago and I agreed to stay at their place to dog sit until Sunday. Really though the Xbox version is great, as long as you can get used to the controls. Whether or not the PS5 version is slightly better in some ways shouldnā€™t effect your enjoyment of it.

1 Like

First of all, my condolences to your friend.

Itā€™s good to know that Capcom made the Xbox version great, that should be a given, but sadly just isnā€™t always the case. In the demo I did have a bit of a hard time with the aiming, so I hope they will look at that. Did they ever fix it for Village?

Back to HDR. I hope I can expect from XGS that they will offer us proper HDR in their games, and in the case itā€™s no good, please leave it out, or better yet, use auto HDR. I donā€™t know how easy/hard it is for them to do that, but itā€™s such a good feature. But so far I think most XGS titles have been pretty good with HDR, havenā€™t they?

Psychonauts 2 was fine, MSFS too I believe, FH5, Halo Infinite (except the intro splash screen and intro before gameplay with raised black levels), HFR didnā€™t have HDR. Please Todd, give Starfield great HDR. :pray:t2:

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

What was wrong with Village that youā€™re wondering is fixed?

I remember the demo and how the aiming in first person felt off, as if there was something set wrong with dead zone. Back then I saw similar complaints about this online. But I never bought the game, maybe it was gone in the full version already.

Interesting, I donā€™t think anything was updated regarding REVIIIā€™s controls but I also donā€™t remember there being any complaints about the controls like there are now.

Hereā€™s the final one.

Same issues as the Demo except for 1 fixed.

These problems knocked off the lustre of what was otherwise a compelling demo, but as of launch day, only one of these issues has been corrected: RT on PS5. This now behaves like the Xbox version, but all of the other major issues we noted remain. That means choosing between a softer-looking game on PS5 with aliasing and shimmering or a frustratingly worse-controlling game on Xbox Series X/Sā€¦ plus frame-rate inconsistency and visual bugs on all current-gen versions to a certain extent.

Weā€™ll have a second piece of content that goes into more detail regarding platform comparisons, but for now know that the PS5 version offers a slightly higher average frame-rate with more responsive controls but reduced image quality, while the Xbox offers a cleaner image with a wider VRR window to enjoy more demanding settings - but the deadzone issues with the right analogue stick are problematic.

2 Likes

Truly a repeat of RE2R. Aliasing was quite visible on PS4 back then, but one thing is different, I remember it was One X being the soft looking one but without aliasing, interesting. If I had both systems and I was about to buy the game Iā€™d definitely go for Xbox.

Pretty sure the IQ on PS5 is a bug. This kind of difference is very unsual. Thankfully Xbox looks great

2 Likes

Isnā€™t this super strange?

The other day I had put refresh rate from 120 to 60 because of flickering issues and I wanted to test if that was only on the dashboard or also games.

Today I decided to go for another playthrough of the RE4 demo. It was in resolution mode and the framerate felt like 30fps outside the cabin, but 60fps in the cabin. I checked if VRR was on, yep.

So I change refresh rate back to 120hz, back to the game and itā€™s smooth as can be outside in the demo. I found it interesting.

Little bit of a preview for RE4 Remake from DF and a bit of a mention of TLOU PC needing time because they didnt get anything until the public did:

1 Like

Based on reactions, it appears TLOU may have optimization problems.

1 Like