Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Monster Hunter Rise has Graphics settings option on Series X similar to a PC does

Gonna check it now and tinker with it

Time open my own DF channel :grin:

4 Likes

Yeah, some typical PC settings in here.

I left performance settings for now at default. I am not playing on a 4K screen now so I have no idea if this would be the 4K setting.

I wonder what it would do to performance if you enable dynamic shadows. Off by default.

Good results all around.

1 Like

Yes and no…

I was a bit bored so decided to watch it. In the default modes it seems to be pretty much parity. But if you choose graphics mode PS5 comes out on top, quite significantly so too, unfortunately. If you use the same settings on XSX as for PS5 it doesn’t run quite as fluidly in 60fps. With sections in the mid 50s. DF calls it a strange turnout.

We can of course just say it’s a Japanese dev, likely to optimise more for PS5, but didn’t MHW come out on top on One X?

And in the graphics mode it goes beyond 4K. In the past we had another game where it went over 4K and did better on PS5, the Touryst. Of course it’s possible they had more time for the PS5 version, but still. 120hz mode too by the way.

Hope they take a look at it.

In the over 10 months of time they had between Xbox launch release and the release for PlayStation, they entirely rewrote/revamped the graphics engine for The Touryst. Remember that the Xbox GDK wasn’t in the best of shape at launch either. It’s a very simple game graphically so the difference of 6K un-revamped on launch date GDK vs 8K revamped isn’t meaningful other than knowing they spent a lot more effort for the PS5 version release later.

1 Like

Ok, that’s good to know. Makes a lot more sense then.

But MHR is a bit of a mystery right now. I mean we had NFS recently, higher resolution than PS5 but more performance issues, but here we have same resolutions, significantly worse performance. I’m hoping it’s a patch thing.

That’s not how DF describe things. Their direct words from the written article is “PlayStation 5 has a small but measurable frame-rate advantage”. That’s drastically different meaning than your “significantly worse performance”.

Looking for 120fps? Frame-rate mode does the trick and if you have a VRR display, you can toggle on other features in exchange for a hit to performance that may pass by unnoticed. Similarly, if you choose the graphics option on a 60Hz screen, performance will drop from the target 60fps - but again, the impact can be mitigated with VRR. Comparisons-wise, it’s curious to see that in matched like-for-like scenarios, PlayStation 5 has a small but measurable frame-rate advantage over Xbox Series X at 120Hz but ultimately, 4K60 on the default mode is winner for both premium machines.

1 Like

I meant the graphics mode with that. The guy says it doesn’t run quite as smoothly on XSX. Perhaps significant was the wrong word, but it is a clear difference. For more powerful hardware you’d hope for that to take the edge, not the case. At least with NFS and some other games X had the resolution advantage.

1 Like

IMO a game doesn’t need to look/run better than the PS5 version to be considered good. If you never knew about the differences, I’m sure you’d think the version was great regardless. Certain modes being slightly better on the PS5 doesn’t change it from being good IMO.

Regarding MHW, there was no clear winner, at least with the last gen enhanced consoles. The PS4 Pro version had better draw distance in two of the three modes and ran at a higher reconstructed resolution, but the One X version ran better in most modes and had a cleaner reconstruction method. So even though it was technically a lower resolution, it still looked better in terms of IQ.

Also to add to what @BRiT said before, I do think it’s important to remember the differences between the two platforms. Games with simpler graphical makeups like the Tourist and MHR will benefit from a GPU with higher clocks over slower clocks and more cores. There are going to be some rendering scenarios where the PS5 does have some small benefits due to the higher clocks and with this game not being taxing on the CPU, that would leave all the possible power/voltage available to the GPU. That’s not to say the Series X couldn’t run better in MHR or render at a higher resolution in Tourist, but accessing the available performance with these simpler games is likely easier on the PS5. This mirrors what a dev recently said:

“Due to faster clockspeed, PS5 gives us direct, simpler performance advantages from previous generation,” Jacquier said in a recent interview with GamingBolt. “Although the Xbox Series X’s GPU raw performance is better, it’s harder to exploit- it requires a better parallelism to exploits the 52 CUs. But I suppose devs could, in the long term, obtain better performance on the Xbox Series X.”

6 Likes

Forspoken looks very rough from a technical point.

Only baked lighting and no day night cycle is a strange choice for 2023 and it seems many of their materials are just wrong. Reminds me of games before XB1/PS4 where no PBR pipeline was used.

And dimensions of characters and buildings seem weird and off. I dont get it, like if these assets are not integrated at all.

This game looks really strange in detail.

3 Likes

Makes you appreciate Halo Infinite more.

Yeah this game seems sadly disappointing on many levels, both in design and tech. The spotty GI and AO is especially weird considering how good the lighting could look in FFXV.

Shame since I was very interested in this game when it was first revealed.

I’m one of those people who doesn’t get the praise for FF15, this game was bad from A-Z. But it did look more consistent image and art wise, thats true.

i think the lighting in Forspoken is fundamentally broken:

Ignore wall guy chilling over there and the bad skybox. The part in blue is clearly in the opposite direction of the sun and should be in the shadows and should be darker than the other parts of the wall. But its brighter. This is in almost every screenshot in some form. Someone fucked up a part of their lighting equation, i’m now sure of it.

2 Likes

so monster hunter rise performs better on ps5 in pretty much every mode. I think its time to say despite having less flops ps5 may actually be a stronger console based on all these digital foundry’s .

If we ignore most of the evidence this generation, sure! MH Rise is an old engine that greatly benefits from higher clocks and the PS4/5 were the lead platforms for development.

4 Likes

That’s incorrect, as Xbox has come out on top more often, with either higher resolution, better frames, or any other number of ways.

Too me this looks like Capcom made a PS5 version and ported over to Xbox while putting in the mĂ­nimal effort into optimization.

2 Likes

Did you ignore the rest of the games and focus on the few you wanted to? We even had a Stat from one of the DF members about number of games were XSX outperformed PS5.

8 Likes

Its Capcom game… There are enough evidence from the past that Capcom games runs better on PS5

DMC5 is one great example

Dude, I’m super ignorant about this stuff and even I can tell that that’s a reach.

There have indeed been plenty games were X had the edge, lately it’s been different a little. Or well, depending on if you want higher resolution or a better performance, with NFS.

There was also Callisto Protocol that eventually “fixed” the raytracing, except that last month it still wasn’t up to snuff compared to PS5. Dead Space Remake is coming and it would be nice if X has the edge, or at least has RT done proper.