Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Its SNAFU, wait for patch.

3 Likes

Aight, haha.

1 Like

Itā€™s cool stuff but the real meat is in the fidelity mode and thatā€™s 30fps. Sadly this 30fps isnā€™t the RDR2 30fps, itā€™s way choppier.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t the 60fps mode kind of bad as well? Any mention of improvements to it?

I havenā€™t watched it yet. The 60fps was decent in the game except for when things get really hectic, you can notice drops then. And I believe itā€™s only 1440p too. Doesnā€™t really seem like Rockstar brought their A game to that.

Both modes are nearly locked outside of alpha heavy scenes.

2 Likes

Witcher 3 RT mode at 30FPS looks far worse than the 60FPS performance mode, so far in my experience itā€™s the other way around in other games where RT clearly looks superior but not here, itā€™s clearly also not a locked 30FPS either because I can just feel it and it feels bad to play, 60FPS is smooth 95+% of the time and looks far better, crispier and clean and this is coming from someone who doesnā€™t mind 30FPS when it is locked, unlocked is terrible for the most part.

First screenshot is the 60FPS mode and second one RT mode, honestly Iā€™m fine without RT, I donā€™t think the feature will truly take off until next gen but I liked it in Resident Evil 2 Remake, maybe just doesnā€™t work well in open world games or CDPR needs to put in a better effort.

If I had to take a guess I would say RT mode is 1080P for the most part and Performance mode is 1440P-1600P, it looks way way crispier in my 4K TV and closer to 4K in closed areas, outside I would say itā€™s usually 1440P.

Anyway amazing update, many others wouldā€™ve charged for it, Witcher 3 remains the best story focused WRPG to date IMO.

2 Likes

Soā€¦I have a (maybe dumb) question for the folks here who are far more knowledgeable than me on the tech side of things (@BRiT , @CallMeCraig , @KageMaru ) that I think that itā€™s better asked here.

A few weeks back @CallMeCraig asked in the Xbox Games Studio thread IIRC what happened to the Gears Ultimate Edition enhancements via BC that was supposedly shown to DF before the release of the SXā€¦and I am wondering if there is a chance MS will return with some form of enhancement for backwards compatibility in the future.

In the Xboxera podcast with Jason Ronald when Nick asked what is the future for the Xbox BC and if that topic is a thing of the past for the Jasonā€™s team Jason said that they are always looking into new ideas and things thus he didnā€™t outright said that they are completely done with BC, so do you guys think that there is a chance for some universal BC enhancement like what weā€™ve seen in the OG Xbox games? as @CallMeCraig said itā€™s weird that we havenā€™t heard or seen anything from this Gears UE enhanced version, maybe it just didnā€™t work out I guess as they wanted but maybe they are holding into it and researching a new way to enhance Xbox One games? thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Have CDPR fixed the XSX version or not yet?

My quick morning take before waking up is:

No improvements on BC enhancements until the next-generation console hardware is released. This is different than say a new batch of BC games being released from a new acquisition such as Activision.

Its been a long time since I heard rumors of some quality of life improvements with Cloud gaming. The niftiest being Cloud getting its own Quick Resume support, where each gamer would have 5-8 games available online, lasting for around 50 days after last use.

They could have easily ran into technical issues on Cloud Quick Resume support making it unfeasible. It just sort of fell off the radar so Iā€™m curious what happened.

Iā€™m also curious what else the technology group have been working on.

2 Likes

Well, for Quick Resume to work we need a user to connect to the same server blade no?

Thanks for your answer BRiT, makes sense to announce something at the start of next gen for BC. Really curious to see what Ronaldā€™s team is working on too, you mentioned some really cool stuff about Cloud gaming that I didnā€™t know about. Exciting times ahead for sure!

Iā€™m not sure that you do, as the games arenā€™t really installed everywhere either and are ā€œon demandā€. So they are copied/mapped in from their mass storage arrays, so its possible the ā€œquick resume snapshotsā€ could be copied/mapped around the same way.

Thereā€™s possibly additional complications when they are really running 4 instances of a One S game on the blade, but the Quick Resume aspect should be isolated to the VM running that exact instance. It certainly wouldnt be identical implementation from the consoles, but the same framework hooking into the appropriate specific implementation.

1 Like

Well, maybe there are working on some shared file system solution and so on but yeah, letā€™s say Quick Resume was from One S image and then person started to run it using Series X and so on.

Based on their corporate style explanation and knowing the team was moved to the Xcloud team, my guess is they just determined they did enough on BC and decided to divert resources and investments into cloud gaming. Their reasoning that they hit the limit on what can be done with BC makes no sense considering there are games they own the IP to, like Quake 4, that are not supported. While Iā€™m sure there is some truth to their statement, I think the real reason for the drop in support was they just didnā€™t want to put into more investment into it. Shame since there are plenty of games Iā€™d love to see enhanced. Lost Odyssey would really benefit from a bump in resolution for example.

2 Likes

I do not think that there has been any patches since the update released but Iā€™ve put over 60 hours in the game in that timeframe and itā€™s been really good, RT mode is even a locked 30FPS besides Novigrad but the image quality pushes me to play at 60FPS instead, I saw the DF comparison video and the RT mode has some huge input delay, itā€™s just not worth dealing with that, Series X is pretty much a 60FPS experience besides a few areas here and there with Novigrad being the biggest offender but even then itā€™s not that bad.

I think the update needed an extra few months of work though, Iā€™ve had 2 instances where the game just quit on me and took me to the dashboard, that never happened to me on the 500+ hours I put into this game last gen, thankfully not a hard crash that almost killed my console like Cyberpunk 2077 did :skull:

1 Like

The optimistic take on this for me would be they are working on a Gears collection and this will be part of it. The more realistic view for me would be they scrapped this because it worked in a demo environment but is not production ready. They talked about other bc games where quality was not satisfying enough, maybe this was also the case here?

Other bc stuff isnā€™t happening. Maybe (big maybe) if ABK deal is done and some licensing options open up they work a bit on their vault.

I just wish we would get better communication about these things from Xbox even if it is a bit of a bad news. I would also like to know more about what Jason Ronalds team is doing for xCloud. Make a Developer_Direct about the Xbox team itself!

4 Likes

@KageMaru @CallMeCraig Thanks for the responses guys! I see that we are in the pessimistic side of things regarding the future (if there is any at all) of BC. And since I donā€™t want to sound negative or like an entitled, spoiled brat I really appreciate all the hard work that Ronaldā€™s team put into the awesome backwards compatibility program all those years. I am more than happy to have a good chunk of my 360 library (both digital AND retail) playable on my new Xbox! :partying_face:

5 Likes

Yeah, I absolutely love BC and am very grateful over the efforts put by the team. I made two videos about the feature, thatā€™s how much I love and appreciate BC. Like @CallMeCraig said, I would just like some better communication from Xbox on the subject.

Regarding the future of BC, outside of maybe seeing some late additions if the ABK deal goes through, the most I see happening is further enhancements for future hardware evolutions. It makes no sense for them to say they hit a wall with licensing now just for them to be able to add a bunch of games next gen with that still not being an issue. The question then might be, would MS see enhancing BC games enough of a reason alone to repurpose the team on to invest into? Thatā€™s something we may have to wait and see on.

Itā€™ll never happen due to the current implementation of BC but Iā€™d love to see the option to play games directly from the disc. This is how they got around the licensing issues for BC on the Xbox 360. While this likely would mean little to no enhancements for these games, outside of just brute forcing better performance through better hardware, Iā€™d still take that as an option over not being able to play these games at all.

2 Likes

I suspect they are busy working on Xcloud and getting devs (first and third party) up to speed using dx12 /Xbox features like direct storage and sampler feedback streaming.